• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tattoo and beard disallowed by sumo association

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The JSA (Japanese Sumo Association) has instituted a regulation to preserve the tradition of sumo which is a sport and a clean one. Beards and tattoos are not allowed inside the sumo ring which Japanese hold sacred. Sumo wrestling is not just a sport but also with a religious color so wrestlers should observe proper hygiene and grooming. I am also against tattoos on fighters because it ruins the image of the fighter.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How are Sumo Wrestlers suppose to see any good luck come their way(haha) - a lot of these competitors in Japan's ancient sport believe growing a beard will bring them good luck. Also no long nails, or tattoos are allowed either.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am in Tokyo right now. A Japanese friend said that sumo is a revered sport that they want to preserve the tradition. Tattoo is a modern fashion and it will lessen the prestige of a sumo wrestler. The sport also requires not only good grooming but also cleanliness in the body. But with the beard, he cannot give a good explanation why it is not allowed in the sumo arena.

C

Caguioa747

Banned
I don’t remember ever seeing a rikishi with a beard. Were there really any of them with long “good luck” beards? Is it okay to have a long beard if it’s not for good luck? I wonder what the beard length limit is. Regardless, the sumo rules do not forbid pulling the opponent’s beard (unlike the topknot) so I don’t think the beard rule is necessary.

T

Tehilah27

I understand not having tattoos as Sumo is considered sacred while tattoos are a modern trend which many people go crazy over. As for beards, While some believe in luck from long beards, others have their own superstitions and traditions that they believe will bring them good luck. To each his own, I guess.

sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

The tatoo, they can ban it. But the beards, why??

K

Koloko

Japanese are very specific people, sometimes really hard to see logic but this is the way they are for centuries.