• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Prediction: The Rock's Athleticon Will NOT Happen

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
Here's a prediction I hope I'm dead wrong with: The Rock's much-ballyhooed Athleticon ICON World Classic will not take place as planned in October... at least from a major bodybuilding show standpoint. The venue was only announced two weeks ago and many IFBB pros who were either announced as competing or expected to will not be there.

When this show was first spoken about on Mike Rashid's podcast, Dexter Jackson was one of his guests and they speaking very highly of the show and its deep pocketed-promoter. Rumors of purses much bigger than even the Mr. Olympia made the online banter speak about Athleticon becoming the de-facto 'new' Olympia and overshadowing or even replacing it as the Super Bowl of bodybuilding.

A few months later, seven-time Olympia champion Phil Heath announced that he was going to compete in Orlando at the inaugural event. Lo and behold, "The Gift" has now pulled out.

With only seven and a half months to go, there is not much information on the official website. Nothing about the expo, booth sizes, etc.

Judging by The Rock's last big bodybuilding-related promise (that the 2017 Olympia was going to be ob major network television), let's all take a 'wait-and'see' approach this time.

sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

I was devastated when I saw this. I think they canceled because they are afraid they will be bullied. Their decision might also be affected by the outbreak of the pandemic making coaching difficult.

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
I was devastated when I saw this. I think they canceled because they are afraid they will be bullied. Their decision might also be affected by the outbreak of the pandemic making coaching difficult.

I honestly believe that the show was in fact cancelled due to the virus but they seemed to be lagging - at least publicly - with so many aspects of it. For example, the expo - that needs to be filled with vendors and info at hand for booth sizes, rates, etc. Not much info at all on that before the plug was pulled.

They even took months after announcing the show the venue it was to be held at.

sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

It is not entirely awful news, producers still intent to shift ahead their event next year alongside a collaborative digital scheme. We all know it is worth the hold back.