• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bodybuilding for old bastards

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew
Staff
Author
I know there are some old bastards on musclemecca bodybuilding forums. I thought this article might help some of you older bodybuilders out!

Old bodybuilder

Body Building for Older People
By Norma Holt

One rarely would think that as you age it is far more important to do some body building than when younger. Balance, muscles, and even the pads under one's feet can disintegrate and disappear if nothing is done to enhance them. Often people find this out the hard way as few will discuss how to avoid old age problems. Good healthy life style, diet, and joint exercise and protection is all part of surviving with a good quality of life.

These things are known because of my age and the circumstances that took me to a gym to improve my overall health. After sitting for years writing and not paying attention to the excess weight that was piling on it came as a shock to be told that a blood test showed a fatty liver. As an ex-medical student this hit hard because it is a precursor to cancer.

Taking a good hard look at myself it was obvious that the extra weight carried around unnecessarily was robbing me of energy as well as other things. One of the worst things was my tendency to trip over anything in front of me. Once on the ground it was impossible for me to get up again and bouncing along on my bottom until something was reached to help me was not pleasant.

One day I fell face down into the garden and could not lift myself with my arms to get up again. After several minutes there was no choice but to push as hard as I could on those stubborn muscles to rise from the situation. The arms took about a week to recover.

This kind of thing is unnecessary as a change to my lifestyle would soon prove. First no sugar or salt was my answer to the health situation. Fruit contains sugar and even that went off the menu. It has, however, been reintroduced as a smoothie for breakfast replaced oats and other stuff. Yogurt with extra protein and at least four pieces of fruit plus a stick of celery is now my regular breakfast.

Joining a gym has been one of the best solutions to my problems. The PT trainers put me through exercises that have addressed my balance so I don't trip over now. If and when I am on the floor, as part of the gym exercises, it is easy to get up again and in some 8 months my weight has reduced by as much as 8 kilograms.

While there is still a long way to go as the weight is still to high at least now the muscles are rebuilding on my arms and legs. The bike at the gym is one of the best exercises and spending half an hour a day on it and riding up to 6 kilometres is beneficial.

There is one other great bonus received for attending the gym. Over the time of going there are now many friends to cuddle and talk to. Some spend time after the PT sessions and we chat about things in general. This is what older people miss, especially if they are living alone. All things considered body building for older people is a definite must.

Norma Holt has knowledge that enables her to understand many issues. Political, social and behavioral problems are usually on her list for discussion and the depth of her research will amaze.

Last edited by a moderator: