• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Don't forget the fucking cardio!

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew
Staff
Author
Too many of you badass bodybuilders skip the cardio! You are missing out! Listen to what the doctor says about cardio. This bodybuilding article is focused more on when to do cardio. Before or after training? Just fucking read it. There is great information to be had! Remember, do your fucking cardio!

Cardio

Should You Do Cardio Exercise Before or After Strength Training?
By Dr. Christopher C Weaver, D.C

A question that I am often asked and one that I have seen countless times on message boards across the Internet is whether a person should do cardiovascular exercise before or after a resistance training workout. Before going any further, I want to clearly state that it is my position that everyone should engage in a cardiovascular exercise of their choice for 5 to 10 minutes before any workout, be it a cardiovascular, resistance, or flexibility workout. This is vitally important for several reasons as a proper, light-intensity cardiovascular exercise will warm up the muscles, ligaments, joints, and tendons that will be used more intensely in the following workout routine. Warming up with cardio also increases the core temperature slightly, increases circulation, slightly elevates the heart rate, and helps to prepare the heart for an increased workload, it helps increase lung functioning and helps you to mentally focus on the upcoming workout routine. The most important advantage to warming up with light-intensity cardio is the substantial decrease in the risk of injury. If the body is not properly warmed up, you are much more likely to experience an injury to a muscle, joint, ligament, or tendon.

Now back to the question of whether you should do cardiovascular exercise before or after a resistance workout. There is no single best answer here and instead, you should evaluate your individual fitness goals. If your goal is to increase endurance, stamina, or overall cardiovascular health, then I suggest doing your cardio workout before weight and resistance training. By doing the cardio workout first (after your 5 to 10-minute warm-up of course), you can engage in a more intense cardio session, which possibly might include some intervals in which you push up to your lactic acid threshold or VO2 max level. It is much less likely that you would be able to achieve high-intensity cardiovascular work after you have engaged in a weight training session. So, in short, if your goal is to increase cardiovascular fitness levels, you should perform cardio workouts before resistance training.

On the other hand, if your goal is fat and weight loss, a current mode of thinking in the fitness community is by doing a cardiovascular workout after a resistance workout, you increase the rate of fat metabolism (fat burn as it is often referred to). The theory is that by engaging in an intense resistance workout, you will deplete the glycogen stored in the muscles during this workout. Once the glycogen stores are depleted, the body begins to utilize fats in the body for fuel. Endurance athletes have long known this, yet typically for this to occur in endurance training, an athlete has to continuously run for approximately 90 minutes to fully deplete the muscles of glycogen. Therefore, I remain somewhat skeptical that many average people working out are pushing themselves to the point of glycogen depletion during their resistance workout, particularly workouts of less than an hour in duration. For more advanced trainers, I do believe that it is possible and therefore can be an effective means of decreasing body fat perhaps for these individuals.

I tend to look at it like this, if you are engaging in a cardiovascular and resistance workout on the same day back-to-back, one or the other will be of a lesser intensity level naturally. Again, evaluate your personal fitness goals before deciding whether to do your cardio workouts before or after resistance training. If you are trying to build muscle, you want to have as much muscle strength as you can available for your resistance workouts, therefore doing cardio before weight training would be counterproductive to your muscle-building goals. If you are looking to gain endurance or heart health, place your focus on the cardio workouts and do them first. Remember, regardless of which you end up doing first, it is more important to properly warm up with a minimum of 5 to 10 minutes of cardio (even if it is only a brisk walk on the treadmill) to prepare the body for the workouts ahead, to get your head in the right space to bang out a productive workout, and most importantly to decrease the risk of injury. This debate won't mean a thing if you get injured 5 minutes into a workout and are sidelined for the next 8 weeks rehabilitating an injury!

Bodybuilding Article Source

Last edited by a moderator:
KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cardio is fucking vital for heart and cardiovascular health.

I am using the MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Mobile App!

Z

Zeus20

Cardio is really a must specially for the body builders who is adding more weight to their body, if we will not practice our cardio then they will have a short breath even in just walking because your body will not used to the weight you added in your body. And as you said, that cardio training is the best for the hearth and lungs. That is why never set aside doing cardio.