• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Why the UFC is a step backwards for martial artists

?

The ufc was designed to show case which martial art was the most effective in a real life conflict between two people. The sad part is that people believe that this is the closest thing to reflect a streetfight or pratical selfdefence. But when you research the rules and history of the event you begin to realise it is nothing more than advertising bias for Bjj.

Now I know I will be flamed. But I used to argue in favour of BJJ and believed grappling was superior to other martial arts but honestly I am not sure now.

Have a look at the rules

Fouls

The Nevada State Athletic Commission currently lists the following as fouls:[39]

1. Butting with the head.
This is a stupid rule. Any person who has been in a street fight know that headbutting happens. Seems a bit odd to ban it but I guess when ur going for a take down people don't like to be headbutted?
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
This is a rule I agree with. Altho we don't like to admit it but if some one lost an eye in MMA then the event would be banned and no one would compete
3. Biting.
Biting is fine in my books. The human jaw is not designed to do that mush dammage. If some one attempts a strangulation then they need to be aware or conditioned to the possiblity of some one biting there way out of it
4. Hair pulling.
This rule is just stupid know one will die from having there hair pulled
5. Fish hooking.
agree facial disfigament will never be social acceptable
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
This rule should definately be removed. If you do not know how to defend yourself and your male privates you have no right to claim that your the ultimate fighter
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent. (see Gouging)
Agree with
8. Small joint manipulation.
Disagree If you can arm lock and snap an elbow it seems crazy to stop some one breaking fingers
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head. (see Rabbit punch)
Put in place to disadvantage strikes from taking advantage of a miss timed take down or clinch.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow. (see Elbow (strike))
Once again put in place to disadvantage a striker from beating his opponemt to the floor
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
Again should be allowd. Although it seems dangerous but fighters will bring there chin down and stop presenting a bad example to the public in selfdefence
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
Lol I never thought a fighter would be afraid of a nipple cripple. Serriously pointless
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
another pointless rule
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
Put in place to protect ground fighters
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck. (see piledriver)
Stupid rule but I guess BJJ was frightened of Dan Severan so this is the result
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
Fair enough we want to see a fight
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
Once again pointless. If the shorts come off then the ref can step in untill the opponent gets them back on
21. Spitting at an opponent.
agree
22. Engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
Kind of the point when u claim the best style
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
Pointless rule people use there enviroment in combat
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
No point this is a fight. Trash talk should be allowed
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
There shouldn't be a break or timelimit
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
Fair enough when the fight is done its done
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell (horn) has sounded the end of a round.
Fair enough when the fight is done its done
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
agree
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
agree
30. Interference by the corner.
agree
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.
agree

The last stupid part is the weight divisions in place. They took one of the best indicators of a truly effective martial art. If a smaller (weaker) opponent can defeat a larger opponent.

Now I know there are UFC die hard fans everywhere. Who will argue that these rules are necessary and its a sport.

But thats not how the event is billed its supposed to be no hold bar fighting.
No martial art can argue which one is more effective with this many restrictions atm.

So if you are curious on what is effective on the street don't look to mma. It doesn't have the answers. You need to talk to people who are involved in real fights where the combatants are not restricted on the damage they do.

The closest thing you will ever find is what is viewed on security cam's ever night at night clubs. If you notice or research it does not look like mma at all. Why because mma is so far removed from the cold hard reality of the street its not funny.

If you don't like viewing fights don't watch this. If you are currious on what happens in the real world here is a rude awakening of the security cammeras of a Russian Night club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Um, its a sport. If people are getting kneed in the head or eyes gouged out then they won't be back to fight another day(that kills any marketability). Its a sport and a business, not real life. If you want to fight in real life then sign up for the Army or go back to high school. UFC has thrived because the fighters are getting paid, well and they are protected to a degree so they are able to fight another day.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Exactly these guys are athletes not weekend bar brawlers lol...

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice video by the way...bunch of punks gang banging dudes...tough guys:ughnoes:

That video actually bothers me...looks like these bouncers are just cheap shotting everyone. Half the time the guys there fucking up look innocent. DOUCHEBAGS!

?

Your missing the argument. Completely, the point to UFC is no holds bar fighting. Its obvious when some one doesn't read a post properly. I agree that eye gouging won't ever be allowed. But there are sports that allow you to knee some one in the head ummm muay thai.

There is a bias in the ufc because it favours one style over another.

Don't believe me then take the time properly and read the post.

The ufc is not a display of who is the best martial artist it is just clever entertainment from the BJJ.

why not call it what it really is kickboxing with a bit of grappling but you cannot strike certain parts of the head, use your elbow proberly or kick some one who is lying on the floor taking full advantage of the BJJ bias rulez

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No UFC is its own brand of fighting....back in the old days it was considered no holds bar fighting but its evolved into a mainstream sport. Wrestling/BJJ/Boxing/Mua Tai

?

Nice video by the way...bunch of punks gang banging dudes...tough guys:ughnoes:

That video actually bothers me...looks like these bouncers are just cheap shotting everyone. Half the time the guys there fucking up look innocent. DOUCHEBAGS!

it bothers you because that is what a street fight is. You just like to believe its going to be like MMA. Sure people who fight on the street are not the best examples of what humanity has to offer but I didn't see any take downs, armlocks or strangulations did you.

If your a person who has worked on the door or work in a feild that requires that you learn something pratical so that you don't get your head kicked in take note MMA is not what it claims to be.

I was looking at this vid from a technical stand point. It really is difficult to shoot, or grapple in these types of violent confrontations

?

No UFC is its own brand of fighting....back in the old days it was considered no holds bar fighting but its evolved into a mainstream sport. Wrestling/BJJ/Boxing/Mua Tai

well it doesn't allow wrestlers and Mua tai or even Boxers use what they use in there own sport.

like I said read before you comment. I went through the rules for a reason

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
what doesnt it allow wrestlers and mua tai or even boxers for that matter to do?

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No one said MMA was street fighting man....you wanna see street fighting go watch "so you think your tough".

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it bothers you because that is what a street fight is. You just like to believe its going to be like MMA. Sure people who fight on the street are not the best examples of what humanity has to offer but I didn't see any take downs, armlocks or strangulations did you.

If your a person who has worked on the door or work in a feild that requires that you learn something pratical so that you don't get your head kicked in take note MMA is not what it claims to be.

I was looking at this vid from a technical stand point. It really is difficult to shoot, or grapple in these types of violent confrontations

Thats not a street fight...thats called cheapshot/bouncer by numbers fighting. Ive seen many street fights where takedowns and ground and pound has been very effective....of course on the street anything goes. Kicking to the nuts usually does the trick :D

?

what doesnt it allow wrestlers and mua tai or even boxers for that matter to do?

Mua tai fights you can kick the head of an opponent when he is going down happens all the time, you can even kick in the groin. Knee and heal stomps are common. Hitting to the back of the head is allowed also downward elbow strikes

Wrestlers like dan severan and others like to body slam but not allowed. Because they Pwned a lot of so called ultimate fighters with it.

Boxing Rabbit punching is common practice also striking to the back of the head

?

No one said MMA was street fighting man....you wanna see street fighting go watch "so you think your tough".
Ultimate fighter, no rules, reality I did not say these things the fighters and the promoters do. Knowing full well its not

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First, I read your whole post. Second, there are no fair street fights and how can you make a unfair "thing" into a sport. You can't. I can see your point into how it could be bias towards certain types of martial arts. However, why do you want a street fight? I don't get it? The rules are in place to protect UFC's talent. Without the named talent they would have no draw for their PPV.

?

Thats not a street fight...thats called cheapshot/bouncer by numbers fighting. Ive seen many street fights where takedowns and ground and pound has been very effective....of course on the street anything goes. Kicking to the nuts usually does the trick :D

I agree to a certain point but its very rare if you believed the BJJ bull shit every fight ends on the ground and magical armlocks and strangulations will save you.

Thats what you say. But in reality and you can use the net people are not winning selfdefence situations the way BJJ describes. And believe me a lot of people including myself took up grappling in the 90's when the Gracies started a lot of BS. And I know the disadvantage of body positioning on the ground (You groin is exposed for the entire time your on the ground). or even miss timing a take down. You end up being heal stomped. Most fight end up with some one stamping on you not the crap being pushed by MMA

?

First, I read your whole post. Second, there are no fair street fights and how can you make a unfair "thing" into a sport. You can't. I can see your point into how it could be bias towards certain types of martial arts. However, why do you want a street fight? I don't get it? The rules are in place to protect UFC's talent. Without the named talent they would have no draw for their PPV.

The rules are in place to protect a person when he attempts to grapple. A street fight is pure theres no rulez. I know its hard for someone to understand but when your Job involves your life being threatened from time to time. You want to learn something or model something that you will survive with.

Notice I did not mention sport as the title a step backwards for Martial Arts. Martial Arts are selfdefence first then sport.

Honestly I am just a bit disapointed because the UFC has never made its self out to be a sport. The idea is to get as real as possible. The fact is it favours BJJ. It was designed to increase enrolment in it. Thats it. The Gracie brothers are very intellegent I will give them that. But to limit rules in favour of your style and claim its the ultimate fighting style is just stupid.

I honestly believe that other organisations are trying to get back to rectify this but it will take time.

Gracie Jujitsu may be the best style. Honestly I don't really know but even they should want an event that does not handicap other martial artists otherwise its a hollow victory. And does not improve the goals Martial Artists who billed the event had

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To me, your last post made your seem a lot more intelligent, more mature, and more for the sport/life of MA. Your other posts just seemed like you wanted all out street fights, which there will never be a fair one. I can see how you would get mad when someone waters down the sport you like but they are doing it for the money. It always boils down to money. However, I don't think any other organization will get to UFC level. Specially if they don't have the rules and ability to protect their big names and are able to promote them.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To me, your last post made your seem a lot more intelligent, more mature, and more for the sport/life of MA. Your other posts just seemed like you wanted all out street fights, which there will never be a fair one. I can see how you would get mad when someone waters down the sport you like but they are doing it for the money. It always boils down to money. However, I don't think any other organization will get to UFC level. Specially if they don't have the rules and ability to protect their big names and are able to promote them.

Plus the fact is will never get sanctioned without rules...look how long it took for MMA with its current rules to get sanctioned in most US states

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I somewhat disagree with the whole BJJ arguement your making as well...i mean black belt BJJ guys like Travis Lutter and Hoyce gracie for that matter get tooled by more versatile fighters. And there game is pure BJJ. The rules Don't seem to cater to well for them

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The guys at the top in all weight classes are true MMA athletes....there evolved. There not one trick ponies