• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Green Tea is good for the heart

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not that much, one study found that women who drank 5 or more cups (500 mL or more)/d had their risk for CVD death lowered by 31% compared to those who drank 1 cup (100 mL)/d of green tea. I'd say around 5 cups a day would be the good starting point.

Yea i was making a gallon of a mixture of green and white tea a day. It was great! COme to think of it i dont remember why i stopped.

Does green tea or white tea have tannins(sp?) in it IS?

allstar

allstar

Yes. Green Tea contains polyphenols(sp) (aka catechins), which are a specific type of tannin. Green tea or any tea at that does not contain Tannic Acid though.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ To add to that the amount of tannins will vary with brewing time and type of leaf. Although I think there can be binding to the milk proteins (not sure)?

allstar

allstar

Yea if you add milk to your tea the tannins go to the proteins in the milk instead of your mouth making the taste less harsh...green tea obviously has the least tannins tho because of its yellow color, while black tea has the highest amount

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks to both u guys. So basically put milk in your tea to avoid negative effects of tannins?

any clue as to how much milk?

allstar

allstar

Im not sure, but I dont think its a lot at all.. i've read that by adding milk to tea it cancels the health benefits..im gonna have to research this a little more

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ In all honesty I've never really worried because I drink tea because I like it and it is what us govt employees do. I have milk because I've always found straight tea just a little bitter in taste otherwise, which could be read as avoiding the negatives of tannins, but that was never my thinking.

So I don't know how much milk will affect it, but there is bound to be a paper on protein and tannin binding.
Addition of Milk Does Not Alter the Antioxidant Activity of Black Tea
Vijayakumar C. Reddy, G.V. Vidya Sagar, D. Sreeramulu, L. Venu, M. Raghunath

Ann Nutr Metab 2005;49:189-195 (DOI: 10.1159/000087071)

Antioxidant activity
Antioxidant status
Catechins
Black tea
Milk and oxidative damage

Abstract
Tea is a polyphenol-rich beverage like wine and catechins are its chief polyphenols. Catechins have cardio-protective effects as they can scavenge free radicals and inhibit lipid peroxidation. Epidemiological studies indicate an inverse relation between tea consumption and the risk of cardiovascular and other chronic diseases. Addition of milk to black tea has been reported to adversely affect its beneficial effects, but the data are not unequivocal. Therefore, we assessed the effect of the addition of milk to black tea on its ability to modulate oxidative stress and antioxidant status in adult male human volunteers. Although the area under the curve of plasma catechins was lower on the consumption of tea with milk compared to black tea, it did not affect the beneficial effects of black tea on total plasma antioxidant activity, plasma resistance to oxidation induced ex vivo, and decreased plasma and urinary thiobarbituric acid reactive substance levels. The results suggest that addition of milk may not obviate the ability of black tea to modulate the antioxidant status of subjects and that consumption of black tea with/without milk prevents oxidative damage in vivo.
Science 1 June 1979:
Vol. 204. no. 4396, p. 909
DOI: 10.1126/science.909-a
Prev | Table of Contents | Next

Articles
Tea with Milk
JULIA F. MORTON
Apparently water type and milk type affect this too.
Kinetics and equilibria of tea infusion, Part 14. Surface films formed in hard water by black tea brews containing milk

Michael Spiro and Yuen Ying Chong
Food Chemistry
Volume 59, Issue 2, June 1997, Pages 247-252

Abstract
Added milk greatly increased the mass of film formed on the surface of black tea brewed in hot London mains water. The amounts of film collected after adding different types of milk (skimmed, homogenised full cream, non-homogenised full cream, and UHT single cream) to black tea brews increased in the sequence listed. No film formed when distilled water was used, and very little even in hard water if the tea concentration was large. Chemical microanalysis and Fourier transform infrared examination of the films indicated that they were composed of milk constituents modified by tea polyphenols and aggregated by calcium ions. The role of the tea polyphenols is consistent with their being sequestered in casein micelles as well as bound to the protein membranes of milk fat globules. The presence of milk prevented the formation of most of the dark tea scum observed on black tea infused in hard water.

allstar

allstar

Yeah I've never added milk to my tea, I'm gonna have to try it. Ever tried Oolong(sp?) Tea, its right in the middle of green and black tea in terms of tannin amounts.

U

Unregistered

Banned
So you hacked a forum in order to pretend that you are a nutritionist with an MSc? :greddy: The only part that was believeable was that you had some knowledge :bowroflarms:

You still don't have a life do you Jorn.:gaygay:

I don't have a life? I make 10 posts here every 6 months, while you spend alot of your time desperatly trying to be the forum guru. :wutyousay:

And I didn't hacked shit? :wutyousay:

And btw, I do have a Bsc in Nutrition, which is still alot more relevant than whatever degree in whatever field you have. Not that degrees necesarrily mean much. You we're wrong in every topic you tried to argue with me regardless.

See ya'll in 6 months :xyxthumbs:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't have a life? I make 10 posts here every 6 months, while you spend alot of your time desperatly trying to be the forum guru. :wutyousay:
So desperate I didn't post here for 8 months. You return to a forum you were permanently banned from pretending to be someone else. :bowroflarms:
And I didn't hacked shit? :wutyousay:
That was the info I was told as you're on the IP ban list.
And btw, I do have a Bsc in Nutrition, which is still alot more relevant than whatever degree in whatever field you have. Not that degrees necesarrily mean much. You we're wrong in every topic you tried to argue with me regardless.
So which is it MSc, that can only be completed after exceptional marks in a completely undergraduate science degree, or a BSc, which takes 3-4yrs to complete after having completed high school. At your age you would battled to have graduated yet (20 right?). Or are we all to believe you now that you have been called out.

But you're right BSc doesn't mean much, I've learnt far more about science in the 8 years since I finished mine. But you are young enough to think that your knowledge is somehow superior or that your understanding is superior because you have taken the first step to knowledge. I don't exactly do the equivilent and claim to be a professor :disgust:

And of course I must be wrong and you are right. And clearly everyone should see this without any evidence on your part of this superior knowledge and wisdom which you are reluctant to impart. :jerkoff1: And I'm sure it has paid off in your superior strength and impeccable physique. But I won't delve further into this as it only stoops to your level.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I'd like to add something to the green/white tea dicussion.
While both are great i find white tea much easier to drink without any sugar/sweetener. It taste great either hot or cold, and although it's more expensive i recomend it.

allstar

allstar

Thats because white tea contains litte to NO tannins, and has a llot less caffeine than any other tea.