• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Which sport produces the most supreme athlete?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
...........good Lord........

good endurance? you mean the men who have a caddy carry their clubs around for them and have to walk a whole bunch? i'm not going to even touch on the "terrific strength" and "explosive speed". at least freako's arguement is a legitimate one for the gymnast and martial artist, this is just superflous hyperbole to the max.

a "sport" where you're never even out of breath deserves no mention in here

on a positive note, the rest of your post was very good.
O'ye of very small mind santaroll

Do you have any idea of how quick the movement change and acceleration they impart? Do you have any idea of the clubhead speed generated? Do you have any idea of the deaccelleration forces involved? Do you have any idea of the fitness it takes to play golf at all? You know have tough you have to be to wear such ridiculous pants in public?

Of course I know that you have to answer NO to all of these as otherwise you would have understood the point I was making. But since you don't understand you have missed my point. Like I said people will have a bias and will discount a sport just simply because they think it looks easy.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
O'ye of very small mind santaroll

Do you have any idea of how quick the movement change and acceleration they impart? Do you have any idea of the clubhead speed generated? Do you have any idea of the deaccelleration forces involved? Do you have any idea of the fitness it takes to play golf at all? You know have tough you have to be to wear such ridiculous pants in public?

Of course I know that you have to answer NO to all of these as otherwise you would have understood the point I was making. But since you don't understand you have missed my point. Like I said people will have a bias and will discount a sport just simply because they think it looks easy.

i don't want to be overly flamed for this, but this is a serious question. do i know the physical fitness it takes to play golf? can you please explain to me how daly is on the PGA tour?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i don't want to be overly flamed for this, but this is a serious question. do i know the physical fitness it takes to play golf? can you please explain to me how daly is on the PGA tour?
You want examples of overweight smokers in other sports? :xmashsughdunno: Because I can think of a few......

Daly is one of the exceptions to the rule though. He battles to make the cut in any serious tournament. He crapped out in Aust last week. Take a look at some of the other great golfers around and they all had to choose between which sport they would go pro in. I'm pretty sure the guy that won the Aust Open was divided between rugby and golf (Kiwi's :xmaswtfgay:)

Also fitness is a relative term. You would be surprised how hard it is to maintain mental alertness let alone physical endurance to constantly walk and hit a ball all day long. Doesn't sound hard, nor look hard, but you go and see how many amateurs can't get past the 5th hole without a golf cart.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm going with Tech and saying mma as well. You have to be amazing physically, mentally, and of course it takes tons of skill.

I don't think an NFL running back takes as much of the mental aspect, personally. It doesn't require as much variety in various skills either.

This is completely wrong. At the lower levels like high school, the running back position isn't required to focus much mentally besides hitting the hole. But at the DI-AA and up to the NFL its a different story. These guys have to be just as in tune mentally as a QB.

When you ask the question of the supreme athlete I agree with others that it can't trully be answered because so much skill is developed through practice. But when you say supreme athlete it makes me focus my mind more on ATHLETICISM. And for this I agree with Duality on the NFL Running Back. They show a balance of accelaration, speed, power in both phases aerobic and anerobic. The only other sport that I think comes close to the display of athleticism is boxing or ufc, but with that speed is taken out and its focused more on accelaration.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Swimming, it focuses on muscle endurance, natrual human strength from water resistance, cardio endurance. fat burning.

Swimming or Olympic swimming requires very great athleticism, Micheal Phelps <--- Prime Example.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Michael Phelps is not a true athlete but more of a developed skill. His teammates complained about how much time he spent per day in the water. The guy just lives in the water and works hard.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is completely wrong. At the lower levels like high school, the running back position isn't required to focus much mentally besides hitting the hole. But at the DI-AA and up to the NFL its a different story. These guys have to be just as in tune mentally as a QB.

When you ask the question of the supreme athlete I agree with others that it can't trully be answered because so much skill is developed through practice. But when you say supreme athlete it makes me focus my mind more on ATHLETICISM. And for this I agree with Duality on the NFL Running Back. They show a balance of accelaration, speed, power in both phases aerobic and anerobic. The only other sport that I think comes close to the display of athleticism is boxing or ufc, but with that speed is taken out and its focused more on accelaration.

I said it doesn't take as much of the mental aspect, not that it doesn't take any. Running backs have to look for the ball and other people, commit to one task, and then the action stops and they start over.

In mma, you have to watch for punches from both hands, kicks from both legs, your position in the ring/cage, and have to be prepared to avoid takedowns. If you aren't extremely strong mentally, your opponent will get into your head and you'll be unable to stop anything they try. Not to mention you have to make sure your body is able to keep up with your mind or you'll end up injured pretty badly. They have to do this for minutes at a time, unlike running backs that only have to do it for 5-20 seconds before everything starts over. And all of that was only for defense.

For the physical part, you have to be powerful for holds, takedowns, putting power in attacks, and getting your opponent off of you. You have to be able to accelerate your entire body at any given time in half a second in the proper way to either actually cause damage or avoid it. You need pinpoint accuracy in order to connect. You need endurance, obviously- we've all seen the guys lacking in that area get ass raped. And finally, you need to have mastered skills in various different disciplines, including muy thai, jiu jitsu, and wrestling, among others.

I agree top-level running backs are incredible athletes, but I'm not convinced they can be considered the overall "most supreme" athlete.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's nothing close to being a universally correct answer for this. Is a running back/boxer/mma fighter a better athlete than a decathlete? Depends on your criteria, emphasis on specialty skill, and so on.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's nothing close to being a universally correct answer for this. Is a running back/boxer/mma fighter a better athlete than a decathlete? Depends on your criteria, emphasis on specialty skill, and so on.

Yep, that's pretty much what it boils down to.

But that kills the debate :xmaskekegay:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yep, that's pretty much what it boils down to.

But that kills the debate :xmaskekegay:

True. Maybe a better discussion would be who is the best athlete of all time? The thing with describing the most athletic sport is that it's so vague, while in discussing the best athlete it takes into consideration the athlete's own performance, and so on.

There's so much subjectivity even with intra-classes of these positions. For example, is a heavyweight a better athlete than a welterweight? Is a power running back like Emmit Smith better than an agile athlete like Barry Sanders? And so on...

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What about nba players?

Extremly strong and fast for their size ( LBJ, KOBE, DWight Howard)

Great hand eye coordination, great reflexes

What yall think?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP

Skills were cast aside at the start. The basic question is: which sports produces/hones the best physical specimen? So if you took a person, cloned him many times and each clone then took up a single sport and focussed the same amount of energy and time on practiscing/traing for that sport, which sport would hone the most "supreme" specimen? One that is faster, stronger, more agile, more aerobically fit, has better reflexes, more co-ordinated, etc, etc, than all the others.
:xmashsughdunno:

Hence:
Triathlete? Mainly and endurance athlete.
Decathlete? I think that's more of a skills based sport (???).
Golf? I don't think this sport even enters into the equation (sorry Tim).
Basketball? No, I don't think so.
Swimming? No, too narrowly focussed.
NFL? Although, as has been explained to me repetitively, certain positions hone an extremely elite athlete, I still don't think it will produce an all-round supreme athlete.

My vote still goes with a martial artist, most likely MMA. I believe that especially in the lower weight divisions that all physical aspects of an ahtlete come into play and are therefore honed to produce the most supreme athlete.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ I agree with ur statement...what about sean sherkman like athletes?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Skills were cast aside at the start. The basic question is: which sports produces/hones the best physical specimen? So if you took a person, cloned him many times and each clone then took up a single sport and focussed the same amount of energy and time on practiscing/traing for that sport, which sport would hone the most "supreme" specimen? One that is faster, stronger, more agile, more aerobically fit, has better reflexes, more co-ordinated, etc, etc, than all the others.
:xmashsughdunno:

Based on this, I'd be inclined to go with freestyle wrestling

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by El Freako
One that is faster, stronger, more agile, more aerobically fit, has better reflexes, more co-ordinated, etc, etc, than all the others.

i'm still baffled at how you don't at least partially think the NFL player takes this billing. to me this is a no brainer.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Based on this, I'd be inclined to go with freestyle wrestling

Wouldn't MMA make a greater athlete due to its wider scope of training (strikes, etc)? Freestyle wrestling being incorporated in the sport as well. Either way I have no doubt that its a combat sport that will be the right choice.