• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Weight Belt

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are different opinions about this subject.

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 384–388.
The Use of Lumbar-Supporting Weight Belts While Performing Squats: Erector Spinae Electromyographic Activity

JEFFREY A. BAUER and CORY CARTER
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611
ANDREW FRY
University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee 38152

ABSTRACT
This study sought to analyze the effects of subjects' wearing weightlifting lumbar support belts on surface electromyographic recordings of the erector spinae muscle group while the subject executed parallel squats. Ten healthy college-age men with weightlifting experience participated in this study. Participants completed a total of 6 repetitions of high-bar parallel back-squats at loads equaling 60% of their 1 repetition maximum. Experimental conditions required subjects to perform 6 squats, 3 while wearing a belt and 3 without. Electromyographic electrodes recorded muscle activity at 800 Hz on both the right and left erector spinae at the lumbar (L3–L5) and thoracic (T5–T7) regions during all lifts.

The results indicate that subjects' mean erector spinae activity was greater (p < 0.0125) in the lumbar region of the spine when wearing weight belts (*258 SD; 69.0 analog-to-digital units) during squatting exercises than the mean activity in subjects who were not wearing weight belts (*235 SD; 71.3 analog-to-digital units).
What year was this published, because I'm sure I've read a follow up that put this in context.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I'll just assume it's better to go without unless absolutely needed. And in my case, that would probably be 4 rep max and below...It's gonna be hard to give up the straps, but I may use those in the same instances, 4 and below.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Go to the article section and read the weightbelt thread.

Belts don't prevent injury. Nor do they do any of the things people use them for.

The main benefits of the belt are offset by the fact that the IAP and errectors is countered by the decreased bracing and "breathing" aspects. So shorter sets of maximal effort (1-3reps) can benefit from the increased bracing, but longer sets don't.

Plus the bracing doesn't necessarily relate to less spinal movement. The moments at the lower back are governed by the lifters strength, and to a large extent the belt actually stops the strengthening. Much like knee wraps are pointless <85% of max because the support structures don't recieve a training effect.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I don't think he even read the thread Tim, go check his other posts. This one's "special".

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ There is nothing like a well reasoned debate between members of the forum. Especially when it is ignored by people who should have read it.

F

fitmod066

the only thing i use is gloves cause i sweat and need to keep grip on the bar. I like to always keep my core activaited so I don't where a belt anymore. And I really don't use straps cause i like to work grip and forarm strenght during pulling movements. Not to say belts aren't necessary. In my powerlifting days when I routinely squated over 600 pounds and benched over 400 I did need a belt for my max sets (anything under five reps). If ur a normal guy. Which I am now I just wanna stay fit. I never need a belt cause I never drop below 12 reps. I use a slow and controlled movement to avoid injury. Never use sloppy form and depend on a belt to keep u safe. but if u extremely heavy with low reps then where a belt...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'm not a fan of gloves. They can aid the grip, but it depends on your hand size and the type of glove. I've always found it ruins proprioception and tactile response.

Plus there is something decidedly unmanly about needing to wear gloves to lift stuff. "Ooo I don't want callouses!" Do they want a blankey and a cup of warm milk too??

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Methinks our friend pushpal is a troll, here to sell stuff. Note the links in his sig.