• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Lifts that favor shoulder pain

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

For about a month now, I've had some shoulder pain in my right shoulder, more of a stiffness I guess. What lifts can I do that favor that shoulder? From trial and error, it seems any work with dumbbells feels better than the barbell. DB press and shoulder press don't seem to cause any discomfort, but pulldowns and chinups don't feel too swell. Any suggestions?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DB's feel better for presses because you can move into a better pressing motion.

I.e. your pressing form was shithouse and you need to fix that once your shoulder is better.

Pulldowns and chinups aggrevate the shoudler capsule because the motion requires a bracing of the shoulder throughout the ROM that can agonise the inflammed or injured parts of the shoulder.

I.e. your form sucks ballz and you aren't maintaining a retracted set of scapulars that allow the larger muscles to brace the shoulder and instead rely on the smaller muscles that are likely to be injured or will fatigue easily and angonise the shoulder.

Simple list of do not's:
No BB presses for awhile
Nothing behind the neck
No upright rows
No lateral raises
No flys

Do's:
External rotations
Cuban presses
Emphasis on pulling exercises
Face pulls
Scapular retraction
Activation of lower and middle traps
Improve form on rows
Improve form on pullups (and pulldowns if you're going to do them)
Learn to bench properly with retracted and depressed scapulars and frontal plane elbow flexion (I think that is the correct description)
etc etc etc

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I will incorporate the scapula retraction

Thanks!

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
go to a chiropractor and see if your scapula has dropped or see if your shoulder is out of alignment. Once the joint is in the correct position if in fact is has dropped then i would listen to Tims post he gave you some excellent suggestions all of which should help stabilize the shoulder that much further

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A good way to tell if it has dropped or not is just to lean against a wall with your arms out and have somebody look at your shoulder blades from behind. If you have trouble keeping one, or both, in position then you have a problem.