• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Steak Doneness

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i_like_where_thread_going3-1.jpg

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Is that not exactly the meaning of what i said? It is infact almost exactly what isaid, as long as the outside of the meat is not some how mixed with the center, as in the case of hamburger and which with most steak you buy in the store it is not, you DO NOT need to cook throughly.
If you read the study you'll see that it talks about many aspects that contaminate the centre of any meat, specifically tenderising.

so then intheory the worry is ingesting the patogen and gtting what we call disease due to pathogens living in our bodies correct? In practice the theory does not seem to be accurate. Why dont we hear about the millions of people who would be rushed to emergency rooms frompathogenic bacteria infections if this were true bc somewhere in the world every day millions of people eat steak.
Because everyone cooks meat :e5dunno:
Because everyone has cooked meat for millenia :e5dunno:
Because everyone has cooked meat since they realised the link between pathogens and raw meat :e5dunno:

Where are all the bodies? The point is that the bacteria you are referring to seems to be irrelevant in practice, which makes my advice about cooking temp of steak sound advice.
I agree that most of the time we are not adversely affected by pathogen load in our food. This is mainly due to good hygiene standards that have been enforced and become common practice. But you only have to look at the occassional food poisoning event or delve back before pasteurisation to see how common pathogenicity was.

I think you place little faith in any study that challenges what you 'know'.
Ben you know me better than that. I don't trust media reporting on science, I also don't trust trials that tend to be unpublished or "conference" publications that are being reported. I merely want to see what the data actually says.

The funny thing about this is i remember having this exact discussion in microbiology and the professor was the one that came out and said that the internal temperature of steak is not a concern. To which I add where are all the sick people who eat rare steak regularly? I think that is what your suggesting by bringing up pathogenic bacteria arent you? If steak isnt cooked all the way through people get sick? Germ theory, :footmouth:. Go immune system. :thumbsup2:
*sigh*
Medium-rare and possibly rare steak (depending on several factors like steak thickness) would fit into the appropriate cooking temperatures I have spoken on and linked to. We are also able to handle a certain level of background disease without noticable harm (and it is somewhat beneficial to our immune system to be constantly challenged). But as is stated in one of the references, there are many pathogen strains that it doesn't matter how strong your immune system is, you will get food poisoning or worse. The number of deaths per year is actually quite high considering the standards of food handling and preparation that our society enforces.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Because everyone cooks meat :e5dunno:
Because everyone has cooked meat for millenia :e5dunno:
Because everyone has cooked meat since they realised the link between pathogens and raw meat :e5dunno:

We must of had a miscommunicated bc i thought we had a disagreement, but apparently we did not bc we both think it is ok to eat rare steak.

Ben you know me better than that. I don't trust media reporting on science, I also don't trust trials that tend to be unpublished or "conference" publications that are being reported. I merely want to see what the data actually says.

I actually wouldlike to apologiz for the comment I made. It was disrespectful and I should not have made it. it was a smart ass comment directed at you and not your argument.

*sigh*
Medium-rare and possibly rare steak (depending on several factors like steak thickness) would fit into the appropriate cooking temperatures I have spoken on and linked to. We are also able to handle a certain level of background disease without noticable harm (and it is somewhat beneficial to our immune system to be constantly challenged). But as is stated in one of the references, there are many pathogen strains that it doesn't matter how strong your immune system is, you will get food poisoning or worse. The number of deaths per year is actually quite high considering the standards of food handling and preparation that our society enforces.

Sure i can agree that the human body cannot fight off all strains of bacteria in all cases, but as far as a universal set of pathogenic bacterias that applies universally, no i cant agree to that. i dont know if i would say it is high, that is an opinion, high compared to what?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ high compared to if we didn't have our modern food health standards.