• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Alcohol and body building

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Is it okay to indulge in alcohol sometimes while body building? Does it interfere in any way with the process?

How much alcohol is safe for a body builder?

P

Pharmacom

Do not drink alcohol If you are preparing for competitions. In the off-season you can drink, but not much since alcohol will destroy your muscles

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I'm not Cutting.
I will Occasionally Drink a Glass of Wine with my Meals (like 4 Oz.).

So Wine can be a Benefit in Moderation.
But again, this is only if I'm Off-Cycle.

On-Cycle, I wouldn't recommend it, as you are already putting your body under some strain.
Depending on the Compounds you are using.
And a Definite No-No, if you are using Oral AAS, as they are Extremely Tough on the Liver.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do not drink alcohol If you are preparing for competitions. In the off-season you can drink, but not much since alcohol will destroy your muscles

Thanks. That was very informative. I believe alcohol is also a no no for those using MAO-Inhibitors and those with liver issues.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I remember my uncle who was into body building when I was younger. He lives in the house beside ours. There were nights that I would see him drinking beer. He would reason out that beer is good for the blood circulation and it relaxes him for a good night’s sleep. However, he drinks only 1 bottle of beer and not every night. When I said that to my father, he agreed with my uncle (my father was not a drinker of alcohol) but he added that too much alcohol can ruin the body even if you are not on training. My take on alcohol while training is not to take it. Just being on the safe side.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

That's the thing, we can drink in moderation when we are not in competition or else all the hard work we do will be destroyed by it.

P

Pharmacom

That's the thing, we can drink in moderation when we are not in competition or else all the hard work we do will be destroyed by it.

Exactly

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How does alcohol destroy muscles?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
BigHulk

BigHulk

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
alcohol destroys everything. that why they use it to disinfect things. stay away from it if you want to be a bodybuilder.

BigHulk

BigHulk

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I find this

Alcohol Myopathy

A recent study done by Muscle and Fitness showed that drinking caused an average loss of muscle somewhere around the 33% range. This is called 'alcoholic myopathy' and a decreased rate of protein synthesis has been liked to it.

Protein synthesis is important in the building of new muscle, so not only does alcohol destroy previously existing muscle, it also robs your body of the ability to produce any more muscle.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Alcohol, sugar, and many other substances we use on our day to day in our day don't benefit us at all, but as they are billions industry, they just keep on growing and growing because taxation is proportional too.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I find this

Alcohol Myopathy

A recent study done by Muscle and Fitness showed that drinking caused an average loss of muscle somewhere around the 33% range. This is called 'alcoholic myopathy' and a decreased rate of protein synthesis has been liked to it.

Protein synthesis is important in the building of new muscle, so not only does alcohol destroy previously existing muscle, it also robs your body of the ability to produce any more muscle.

Thank you very much. I wasn't aware of alcohol myopathy. It is a new concept for me but it does make sense.

R

remnant

Banned
Alcohol is detrimental to bodybuilding principally because it is a
diuretic and causes the kidneys to produce excess urine. When the body
sweats during exercise, dehydration increases and water is required by
muscles for exercise. It also overloads the river resulting to
insufficient production of energy required during exercise.

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
So many bodybuilders look at booze as an evil but smoke pot. I just don't get it.

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So many bodybuilders look at booze as an evil but smoke pot. I just don't get it.
Smoking is just as bad, maybe worse. I can't think of any professional bodybulders that smoke and are successful.

Torres

Torres

I can attest to alcohol draining You of everything , including Gains !!!
I went on a binge and after it was all said and done , I was extremely sick , in the hospital , completely lost all my Gains , and had to start from square one . It SUCKED !!!
Gotta stay focused and always remember Gains Over Booze !!!

V

victoriahumbert

Banned
I agree with you.