• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Questions about catabolism

M

Masaru

Hello hope everybody’s doing well! Got 3 quick questions about the science behind catabolism. I know some can be long to explain but just want a simple answer so that I can have some basic knowledge about this phenomenon.

Can protein prevent catabolism? (Would a protein shake taken before bed prevent catabolism occuring during sleep?)

Does walking cause catabolism (how much (mg) muscle is on average lost with walking, swimming, running, boxing, etc.)

What kind of calories does cardio burn (protein, fat or carbs) ? Does it burn old (already stored calories) or any caories (even recent ones)? In that case isn’t it easier to just not eat?

A

Athanas

I will respond to them generally. Metabolism is divided into two; anabolism and catabolism. Anabolism is the manufacture of new materials while catabolism is the breakdown of materials. Therefore, when you do any form of exercise, materials are catabolised, while is important to the body.