• Welcome to MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums

Do you love bodybuilding and events like the Olympia and the Arnold Classic? Are you interested in Bodybuilding, Fitness or building muscle? If so check out and join our bodybuilding forum! Musclemecca bodybuilding forums is one of the oldest and most popular bodybuilding, fitness forums! Some members of Musclemecca include Phil Heath, Ronnie Coleman, William Bonac and More! We have over a million bodybuilding videos, pictures and articles and many helpful bodybuilding enthusiasts to answer questions and give you advice on building muscle! See You In the bodybuilding forums!

• musclemecca does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding products. Do not sell any bodybuilding products through musclemecca bodybuilding forums.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
Tazzo Bodybuilding Gear

BCAA'S A BETTER UNDERSTANDING/MUSCLE SPARING/FATLOSS

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
While most amino acids are metabolized in the liver BCAAs are metabolized primarily by muscle. Despite their structural similarities the three branched chain amino acids have different metabolic routes. The breakdown of leucine is accomplished solely through fat pathways. Valine is broken down solely through carbohydrate pathways, and isoleucine through both. The different metabolic pathways of these three amino acids lead to varying requirements for each.

BCAAs, unlike most other amino acids, are metabolized in within muscle tissue, allowing them to be oxidized (used as energy) by muscle cells to produce cellular energy in the form of ATP. ATP is the primary source of energy that fuels muscle contraction and allows you to lift weights.

The fact that leucine, isoleucine, and valine are metabolized within muscle tissue allows them to be a quick energy source when the body needs it. There is a significant increase in BCAA metabolism during prolonged exercise simply because the body requires more energy during periods of stress such as training. This makes BCAAs incredibly effective when taken around the time of your workout routine.

BCAAs have been proven in many studies to be a potent performance enhancer, and as previously mentioned, BCAAs make a great energy source for working muscles because of their unique metabolism. This can have a positive impact on performance. Not only can BCAAs be used as energy themselves but they also enhance fat oxidation in glycogen depleted subjects. This allows individuals to train harder for longer without fatigue due to the higher energy demands being met. This goes for both high intensity training as well as endurance training.

the amino acid leucine has also shown promise for increasing insulin sensitivity. Essentially, insulin sensitivity ensures that the insulin within your body maintains its effectiveness. This leads to easier fat loss, more muscle growth, and defense against diabetes.

Kayce

VIP
Author
Is this original article? If it is and if you add a picture I will add
to FB page for mm.

preacherbob50

Great read Mace! Okay, I'm presently taking about 20 grams of BCAA's and roughly 220-230 grams of protein a day. I'm maintaining 230 lbs of mostly lean weight so would that ratio be good or do I need to tweek it around a bit? I'm working out 6 days a week for an hour or so each day not including any cardio if that helps.

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
Thank you all. Mm how is everything my friend. Sorry for my slacking .

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
Great read Mace! Okay, I'm presently taking about 20 grams of BCAA's and roughly 220-230 grams of protein a day. I'm maintaining 230 lbs of mostly lean weight so would that ratio be good or do I need to tweek it around a bit? I'm working out 6 days a week for an hour or so each day not including any cardio if that helps.
What is your goal?

DarkBeast

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BCAAs do have their place! I would still chose an EAA over it however...always look for the rate limiting amino acid for optimal hypertrophy

preacherbob50

What is your goal?
Uh....I have a picture of Reg Parks on my home gym wall. THAT's my goal. Since my last post and because I have some extra time on my hands I've amped up my workouts to twice a day.
Note: I get a lot of Physical ideas and instruction from a couple of pros at the gym I go to, but their "suppliment" support is a bit more radical than I am willing to go. I've turned into a total CLEAN health and muscle nut and it looks like I might be able to show (amateur) in a year or two but I really need to get all of my ducks in a row to make that happen.

Note 2: Thus far I'm busting up the idea that guys my age can't grow muscle. Granted, I have a great gene pool which helps but I do not want to fail from the lack of a balanced supplimental layout.

- - - Updated - - -

What is your goal?
Uh....I have a picture of Reg Parks on my home gym wall. THAT's my goal. Since my last post and because I have some extra time on my hands I've amped up my workouts to twice a day.
Note: I get a lot of Physical ideas and instruction from a couple of pros at the gym I go to, but their "suppliment" support is a bit more radical than I am willing to go. I've turned into a total CLEAN health and muscle nut and it looks like I might be able to show (amateur) in a year or two but I really need to get all of my ducks in a row to make that happen.

Note 2: Thus far I'm busting up the idea that guys my age can't grow muscle. Granted, I have a great gene pool which helps but I do not want to fail from the lack of a balanced supplimental layout.

preacherbob50

BCAAs do have their place! I would still chose an EAA over it however...always look for the rate limiting amino acid for optimal hypertrophy
Thanks @DarkBeast. I'll certainly do my homework on the EAA's. Throw me some recommendations on the usage if you would. For instance: Omit the BCAA's and go Eaa's or a light combo at first and build?
I have been doing the BCAA's no matter what my diet consists of so are the Essential Amino's the same or do I regulate them according to my diet?

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
There a few blends that contain bcaa's and eaa's ... they discontinued my favorite vpx powershock. It was pretty awesome.. need a replacement.

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
Looking for a comparable blend.
0c391de6a8ee09d5eb14379fc02fa364-1.jpg

preacherbob50

Houston, we have a problem. Okay, I did quite a bit of research concerning essential amino acids and moreover the supplementation of them. Basically, nearly everything I have found in the supplimentation department contains some form of soy isolate which is pretty hazardous to folks over 50 or so.

Guys over 50 are going to have problems with male hormonal balances and soy isolate doesn't help out very much. Matter of fact, it actually decreases testosterone production and increases estrogen levels and I just got rid of the man tit thing so......

One thing I did notice concerning the base compounds is that a good diet will provide all of the essential aminos a person needs and if it's just a matter of amping up on essential amino acid rich foods after a heavy workout I can do that.

DarkBeast

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So intraworkout the best option is obviously Pepto-Pro as its hydrolyzed and broken down into di and tri peptides.

I personally use about 50g of a good hydrolyzed protein combined with 5-10g EAAs and 5-10g BCAAs (the BCAAs because I get them free)

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Getting them from whole foods is best. Supplementation should only be done if you cannot do that or if you want to be on the sure side.