• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

5x5 good for adding size or no

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5x5 is good but if you really want to put mass on you should drop all cardio and make your workouts only last 45 to 50mins and squeeze as many differ things in you can and once the time is up your done no matter what. i would make sure at the end of the workout you do 1 very high set to flood the muscle with blood and totally kill it. def works for me. i think some body parts should be higher rep like shoulders and legs i usually do about 10 reps and my legs grow like no other just sharing what works for me good luck

please elaborate :food-snacking:

A

animalkja

ok so this is an example of how my workouts for mass usually go -- lets say arms ill do bis first and ill do heavy curls 5x5 then hammer curls 5x5 and then preacher curls ill do until failure usully comes around 25-30 reps to for one set and i squeze hard as hell each time at the top then im done with bis. -- then ill move to tris and do close grip bench 5x5 and then dips with weight on belt 5x5 and overheads 5x5 and then do let pressdowns until failure

powerhouse-titty

powerhouse-titty

tunen that routine u made looks nuts but i luv the hardcore but there no rest is that ok i heard mariusz p jesse murande (r.i.p ) never rest

A

animalkja

put about a 70 sec between sets im just saying dont workout over 45mins and youll def put on mass as long as lift heavy and keep your workouts short dont bs in the gym get as much as you can done i get that whole arm workout in in about 45-50 mins

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
put about a 70 sec between sets im just saying dont workout over 45mins and youll def put on mass as long as lift heavy and keep your workouts short dont bs in the gym get as much as you can done i get that whole arm workout in in about 45-50 mins

was this guy banned for saying this:dunnodude:

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
WHo deleted my comment?

Also why was he banned?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
WHo deleted my comment?

Also why was he banned?
I did.

Hint: If you ever want to see why someone was banned, check out the last few posts they made before getting the axe.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ahh. Gotcha :tiphat:

I know why now. I'm loling pretty hard too.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
WillTheThrill

WillTheThrill

i think the 5x5 is great, ive gained 1/2 an inch on arms and 1in on legs in almost a month, i just do 5x5 on my core exersises though(bench,squat, deads)

Joeb23

Joeb23

I did.

Hint: If you ever want to see why someone was banned, check out the last few posts they made before getting the axe.

Ahh. Gotcha :tiphat:

I know why now. I'm loling pretty hard too.

I don't get it. Why was that guy banned? I read his last few posts. What did he say? I have been real curious as of late to see why all these people have been getting banned.:hhj:

I hope I'm not next...:ughnoes:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
check ALL posts made by him... look at the last couple he made.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I hope I'm not next...:ughnoes:

AS long as you're respectful of others and don't say anything stupid, you're fine. :xyxthumbs:

People that are banned are as such because they mouthed-off to a higher-up or to other members.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is better for building strength than size, you will induce muscle hypertrophy but only limiting yourself to that rep range and amount of weight does not use both forms of muscle hypertrophy. You are mainly just inducing myofibrillar hypertrophy which increases the myofibril size and strength and neglecting sarcolimic hypetrophy which increases muscle cell volume.
It is good to do for four or six weeks to help get your lifts up, but it is not something I would recommend for long term. :tiphat:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The 5x5 routines I've seen here seem a little different to the one I've done.
Mon
Squat
Bench
Bent Row

Wed
Squat
Deadlift
Incline Press or Military Press
+ 5 Sets of Pullups if you want

Friday
Squat
Bench
Bent Row
+ 3x10 Bicep Curls and Tricep Extensions if you want.

...this was set out very strictly and no variation from the program was allowed.
Link: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

I felt that it was great for strength but still prefer a routine with a bit more volume and variation to it, I feel my body responds better to this. That being said I still enjoyed the routine as the strength gains were impressive.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is better for building strength than size, you will induce muscle hypertrophy but only limiting yourself to that rep range and amount of weight does not use both forms of muscle hypertrophy. You are mainly just inducing myofibrillar hypertrophy which increases the myofibril size and strength and neglecting sarcolimic hypetrophy which increases muscle cell volume.
It is good to do for four or six weeks to help get your lifts up, but it is not something I would recommend for long term. :tiphat:

ye, but if u do 5x5 for only the first basic exercise, then vary the rep range and rest periods after that, u would get the best from both worlds right?:dunnodude:

J

jolly roger

ye, but if u do 5x5 for only the first basic exercise, then vary the rep range and rest periods after that, u would get the best from both worlds right?:dunnodude:

What I've typically read (on the internet, so it MUST be true, right?!) is that it's more effective to focus on one style of training for a given period, squeeze all the progress out of it, then move to your next phase (e.g. focus on strength/low reps, then move on to volume or high reps, etc.) I guess in the end, hit the weights hard in a sensible fashion, you'll see results.

I've just started that 5X5 routing posted above (geocities/madcow one), so it's good to see discussion on the topic.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What I've typically read (on the internet, so it MUST be true, right?!) is that it's more effective to focus on one style of training for a given period, squeeze all the progress out of it, then move to your next phase (e.g. focus on strength/low reps, then move on to volume or high reps, etc.) I guess in the end, hit the weights hard in a sensible fashion, you'll see results.

I've just started that 5X5 routing posted above (geocities/madcow one), so it's good to see discussion on the topic.

True Jolly, 5x5 is a great protocol to get your strength up along with that you could add a few pounds on your frame as well. Ive been doinging 5x5 for 4 weeks now and I really enjoy it.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Awesome post, awesome information and suggestion. Repped.