• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

5x5 routine help

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im going to quit the routine
its not playing out so well.
but im going to include the deads and squats much.
and keep some of the things ive learned from it in my
new FB routine

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im going to quit the routine
its not playing out so well.
but im going to include the deads and squats much.
and keep some of the things ive learned from it in my
new FB routine

How does your new FB routine looks like?

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How does your new FB routine looks like?

It varies

usually two different exercises per body part
im not going to do calves or hamstrings since they get worked
pretty well at work.
and keep my sets within 3-4 sets, but for deads, squats 5 sets
im going to experiment and see how this works out for me.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It varies

usually two different exercises per body part
im not going to do calves or hamstrings since they get worked
pretty well at work.
and keep my sets within 3-4 sets, but for deads, squats 5 sets
im going to experiment and see how this works out for me.

Just curious but why do you think the 5x5 routine didnt work for you.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just curious but why do you think the 5x5 routine didnt work for you.

If anything it's probably under-eating rather than CNS taxing. That's usually the problem I see, not just in others, but myself as well.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I usually see that people try to use their 5RM for 5 sets or do the other version where they only do three sets of 5 at their 5RM. That or they decide to do every exercise (usually too many exercises) for 5x5. Either way too much intensity to recover from.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If anything it's probably under-eating rather than CNS taxing. That's usually the problem I see, not just in others, but myself as well.

But why do you think an other FB program would fix this because imo that doesnt make any sense. If programmed right 5x5 is manageable even when your undereating.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I usually see that people try to use their 5RM for 5 sets or do the other version where they only do three sets of 5 at their 5RM. That or they decide to do every exercise (usually too many exercises) for 5x5. Either way too much intensity to recover from.

True, when doing 5x5 you should do it by the book. There are roughly 3 different 5x5 routines on the net which are all based on the original idea of Bill Starr. All other, own variations are mostly over designed and contain too many exercises.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But why do you think an other FB program would fix this because imo that doesnt make any sense. If programmed right 5x5 is manageable even when your undereating.

I wasn't arguing with you, 'nor did I say a FB routine is better. 5x5 routine when done properly is fine. But if you think you can stay prone to CNS drain when under-eating on a high myofibril stressed routine, that's tough. Some do not adrenally fatigue, but others do even when eating 5-6kcal/day.

He's tried and physically stressed. So what do you think the answer is? I said it was a combination of under-eating and less caloric supply and un-managed version of the routine.

:xyxthumbs:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wasn't arguing with you, 'nor did I say a FB routine is better. 5x5 routine when done properly is fine. But if you think you can stay prone to CNS drain when under-eating on a high myofibril stressed routine, that's tough. Some do not adrenally fatigue, but others do even when eating 5-6kcal/day.

He's tried and physically stressed. So what do you think the answer is? I said it was a combination of under-eating and less caloric supply and un-managed version of the routine.

:xyxthumbs:

haha sorry bro, I thought I made a reply to Hypo but now I realize it was yours. Thats why I said the thing about the FB routine.
Your totally right here, undereating alone in combination with 5x5 is gonna be hard, so imagine what happens to his body with the work he does.

I think I lost my mind...:linedrunk:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
haha sorry bro, I thought I made a reply to Hypo but now I realize it was yours. Thats why I said the thing about the FB routine.
Your totally right here, undereating alone in combination with 5x5 is gonna be hard, so imagine what happens to his body with the work he does.

All good bro :xyxthumbs: exactly that, improper 5x5 routine, under-eating and stressful 8hr work shifts do not help! haha. The only reason I'd say a FB routine is more suitable for him is because he gets to the gym 2-3x/wk and that's minimally what you'd need for a FB.

Just goes to show how much one's nutrition matters.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All good bro :xyxthumbs: exactly that, improper 5x5 routine, under-eating and stressful 8hr work shifts do not help! haha. The only reason I'd say a FB routine is more suitable for him is because he gets to the gym 2-3x/wk and that's minimally what you'd need for a FB.

Just goes to show how much one's nutrition matters.

True, nutrition plays a very big rol. It might be better for Hypo if he designs a routine with a bit less volume, while keeping the intensity up. That along with undereating will at least help him to not get overtrained (overreached imo). He can still use the progressive loading and planned overreaching as described in the 5x5 protocol.