• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Are compound exercises actually better for muscle growth?

S

SwoleSamson

Right now, I am trying to gain size, and have been focusing on singular-targeted muscle group areas. Do compounds really help accelerate growth for overall size gain?

Reactions: Swiper and KaiGold
KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good question.

@tkD @Push50 @Joe Pietaro

Reactions: Swiper
Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Compound lifts are geared more towards size and strength while isolation is more for definition of the muscles.
The compound lift will engage multiple joint and muscle system. These should be your heavy lifts that prepare you for real life activities. These will help to increase mobility and stability.
The isolation lifts are exactly that, isolation, and are designed to isolate individual muscles. Typically these will be lighter lifts. They are great for definition, muscular symmetry or accelerating hypertrophy within a particular muscle.
So I’m my opinion it really takes both to get the size, strength and definition that most bodybuilders are looking to acquire.
Because everyone is different and have different goals, the process is actually one of preference and personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArnoldS, KaiGold, SwoleSamson and 1 other person
S

SwoleSamson

Compound lifts are geared more towards size and strength while isolation is more for definition of the muscles.
The compound lift will engage multiple joint and muscle system. These should be your heavy lifts that prepare you for real life activities. These will help to increase mobility and stability.
The isolation lifts are exactly that, isolation, and are designed to isolate individual muscles. Typically these will be lighter lifts. They are great for definition, muscular symmetry or accelerating hypertrophy within a particular muscle.
So I’m my opinion it really takes both to get the size, strength and definition that most bodybuilders are looking to acquire.
Because everyone is different and have different goals, the process is actually one of preference and personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Understood. This is true, so basically it sounds like do compound lifts to gain mass and then isolation to tone.

Reactions: ArnoldS and KaiGold
Aea.ltd

Aea.ltd

Aea.ltd aims to be the most trusted CDMO of API !
Staff member
Sponsor
Right now, I am trying to gain size, and have been focusing on singular-targeted muscle group areas. Do compounds really help accelerate growth for overall size gain?
Yes, compound exercises are generally considered effective for muscle growth, and they offer several advantages over isolation exercises. Compound exercises involve multiple muscle groups and joints, requiring coordinated movement and engaging a larger portion of the body. This results in a more comprehensive workout and helps develop overall muscle mass.

Reactions: BigHulk and Push50

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
fitnessenthusiast

fitnessenthusiast

Yes, compound exercises are generally better for muscle growth because they target multiple muscle groups at once. This leads to more overall muscle stimulation and growth compared to isolation exercises that focus on one muscle at a time. Compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench presses are effective for building strength and muscle mass efficiently.

Brook

Brook

That's great that you're focused on gaining size! Compound exercises, which work multiple muscle groups at once (like squats, deadlifts, bench presses), can definitely accelerate overall muscle growth. These exercises engage more muscles compared to isolation exercises (targeting one specific muscle). They also boost hormone production like testosterone, which supports muscle growth. Incorporating compound movements into your routine can help you build strength and size more efficiently. However, it's also good to include some isolation exercises to fully develop specific muscles. Mixing both compound and isolation exercises in your workouts could be a winning strategy for maximizing size gains.