• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

barbell or dumbell bench, any difference?

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
:io:

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Considering weight training related sports have greatly evolved over the past couple decades because of science it's a little crazy to say science means nothing and trial and error is better. Yes, there is some "attacking" going on in here but Tim is not the only one (youngmusclejock, you're getting out of line, too). Studies don't build muscle, Tim never said this, but the people reading the studies and applying them to your regmine are.

On a side note, machines are terrible for your joints since your body is not able to move in it's natural ROM. And, they neglect stabilizers which can also be detrimental to your joints in the long run.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:49: @ Tim, what was disrespectful about musclejok's post. He gave his opinion, you've been very irritable lately, chill, breath, calm down man.

In all fairness, I agree with musclejok's initial post. Nobody is right, wrong, upside down, etc. Trial and error. There are several studies that help us understand, but no study is going to tell us what works for ones own body more than trial and error.

Also, back to the topic at hand. From a personal stand point heavy bench has given me better gains, BUT, I train chest twice a week and I alternate between DBs and BBs session to session.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For the record I listed the pros and cons of DB's and BB's and recommended cycling between the two. Both have enough disadvantages that you are best not using only one for all your pressing.
Ahh Tim... I am happy you responded..

See here is the thing science and studies said the world would do horrible things in 2000.. Remember Y2K??? Then there is a person called the surgeon general who says smoking will kill you and all sorts of things. Then you have my grandpa who is health as a horse who has smoked for 50 years. You see my friend the scientist and everyone else can produce their little studies and what not. But the reality is that every person is made differently, I think it's fair to say not one person has the same ROM... The list could go on for years.. I believe it's just like the whole diet epidemic not one person is correct.
These are some pretty random examples and illustrate what annoys me about your post. So I'll just address one; smoking only increases the risk factors involved in developing cancer. Some people will have less incidence of cancer due to genetic and environment factors. Science has never said anything other than this, media however have.

But your comment "produce their little studies" is very condescending and rude. This is what I take issue with (and why I originally got pissed off) and it is the third or fourth time you have done it to one of my posts. This shows both ignorance of science and knowledge and a lack of respect for those that have spent so much time achieving said same. It is also rude to the other posters in the thread by calling their experience (which you seem to value so highly) worthless. I know you don't understand this which is why I have let it pass previously. But when someone directly contridicts you from a place of lesser understanding and does it in a manner as to be rude to "the scientist and everyone else can produce their little studies"
Now for you to personally attack me and my post is wrong. I thought your were respected for a reason? I am so happy that you could parrot off something you read.. I know it's knowledge but I like that word.. I do it as well...
Yeh I did overstep the line with the last sentence, hence why IS was kind enough to edit it for me. I do appologise for getting personal. But you are insulting both my experience and knowledge, I've been lifting longer than most, in fact a lot of members here would have still been in diapers when I got my first DB. I don't just parrot off something I've read, I'm a critical reader (science is based on that) and want more evidence than some ad in a magazine, or what some pro "reckons".
So onto my next point.... I just simply in my post nothing that said that you had to do BB or DB.. I said just give everything a try.. Do you know what this guys form looks like? I mean what do you really know about him? Nothing.... But yet you give a specific advice.. I just simply stated that he should try and see what works for him..
So years of experience, studies, science, engineering, etc, that have created the society we live in are now worthless because we should all just work it out ourselves?:dunnodude: Good luck learning how to invent the wheel and discover fire again.
Also you never responded to my P.M.
What PM? I recieve quite a few from people looking for help, so it may have been missed. (edit: I read your PM to me, you wonder why I didn't answer :hhj:)
Come on Tim... Respond back I look forward to reading your studies... I never knew science built muscle? I think it's trial and error.. What's that called learning?? seeing what works for you?? That's why there are thousands of training programs, science agrees with some and other's they don't..
Science finds the best way to build muscle, thus saving the need for trial and error.
So you get the facts straight and do not show your rudeness towards me in another thread...
Quid pro quo dude. You've flamed science (thus me) countless times and me personally several. And ironically science is all about the facts :keke:
curtisymoo said:
its okay he did the same thing to me too, almost telling me that whats currently workign well for me was wrong, when we know the slightest thing of each other

to back up youngmusclejock

hes basically saying in his original post that theres no ONE miracle exercise to do, one may or may not be better than the other and it really comes down to alot of individual factors. also that the OP should try his hand at all ways to see how he wants to start out after everyones input

there end of thread.
Actually I didn't attack you. :wutyousay: My posts are in this thread: http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/foot-position-quads-23518.html
If you take any of that personally I'm sorry, but you are wrong on that. Sorry if you don't like being wrong, go and read the bomechanics and EMG studies on this.

J

jguruz

Gentlemen, (or ladies should you prefer!), firstly thank you for your input which has made for some interesting reading! Ok, i'm going to give the old BB bench a shot, alongside machine press, musclejock you are correct in that i am yet to try all the equipment available to me. Which brings me onto the question of the workout, should i increase chest workouts to 2 times a week or is that overtraining? Current workout is as follows, please do critique or suggest alternatives

3 x 10-12 incline DB
3 x 10-12 flat DB
3 x 10-12 flyes DB (alternate between incline and flat weekly)
2 x 15 dips or cable crossovers OR 2 x 15 DB pullovers

Weekly workout:

Day 1 - Chest
Day 2 - Back/Abs
Day 3 - Shoulders
Day 4 - Legs
Day 5 - Arms/Abs
Days 6/7 - Rest/20-30 mins cardio

Thanks

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Gentlemen, (or ladies should you prefer!), firstly thank you for your input which has made for some interesting reading! Ok, i'm going to give the old BB bench a shot, alongside machine press, musclejock you are correct in that i am yet to try all the equipment available to me. Which brings me onto the question of the workout, should i increase chest workouts to 2 times a week or is that overtraining? Current workout is as follows, please do critique or suggest alternatives

3 x 10-12 incline DB
3 x 10-12 flat DB
3 x 10-12 flyes DB (alternate between incline and flat weekly)
2 x 15 dips or cable crossovers OR 2 x 15 DB pullovers

Weekly workout:

Day 1 - Chest
Day 2 - Back/Abs
Day 3 - Shoulders
Day 4 - Legs
Day 5 - Arms/Abs
Days 6/7 - Rest/20-30 mins cardio

Thanks
Flyes are borderline worthless; expose the shoulder to enormous force for little muscle payoff. I don't mind cable flys on occassion.
Dips are better done heavier; DB between the feet for 5-8 reps.
I've never seen the point of pullovers.
The actual recruitment of sternal and clavicular portions of the pec isn't different enough to warant doing Incline and Flat presses in the same workout. If you want to do chest twice a week (frequency good as long as you don't go to failure and don't have DOMS when you train again) then do one one day the other later in the week.
If you want to do two chest session you should be doing two back sessions and probably two leg sessions.
Most machines are built with the average person in mind. I'm yet to meet the average person (hint they don't exist). So using machines regularly is just going to do long term damage.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that is almost the same as my workout. i prefer using db when i am working out by myself, but if i have a workout partner i do bb. i hate doing incline bb. so i always to db incline. i feel like it helps me more on incline with db then with bb.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that is almost the same as my workout. i prefer using db when i am working out by myself, but if i have a workout partner i do bb. i hate doing incline bb. so i always to db incline. i feel like it helps me more on incline with db then with bb.

I'm going to pull a Tim and express my annoyance with this sort of comment. Jnutz, this is no way a personal attack either, more of a question of why as this always puzzles/annoys me.

Why do people say they cant Bench without a spotter? If the bar gets stuck in place and you can't press it up, let the weight slide off, easy.

I have more of an issue with people not wanting to squat heavy without a spotter? I find a spotter when squatting is MORE dangerous than without one. Why? because if you get stuck the help of a spotter on squats is close to useless, the correct thing to do is dump the weight off your shoulders, easy.

I find comments like these as excuses more than barriers stopping one from having a better workout.

that is all. carry on.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it never said that i couldnt bench without a spotter. it said i just like doing db when im by myself. every know and then i do bb by myself its just how ever i feel that day.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like putting my nuts in jnutz face while he is doing decline barbell..it tends to help him out a lot..don't know why :carduindisguise

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i hate you napoleonator. you are a fag. you dont know what the hell you are talking about.

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think both BB and DB benches are excellent for pec development and just as important.I dont like to compare those 2 cause i feel good chest program includes both exercises.So if possible..do them both:xyxthumbs: