• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Beached Whale Chronicles

Sentinel

Sentinel

although he almost passed out, it was still very good. He presses like the old-time strongmen, very strict.

Your overhead squats were very nice. I would like to do them too but it is pretty hard to get the technique right. Overall strong workout, although I think those farmers were way to easy for you ;)

OH Squats took me 3-4 months to nail down. I used to have terrible hip mobility but by doing all these drills and stuff I was finally able to nail them down.

I see you change your routines a lot. Do you follow an organized template or are all these different routines just random fancies?

I don't do routines. I train. I follow a template. Every 4 weeks I evaluate that template and I may add things in or remove them or keep it the same. This is what my template looks like:

Thursday: Deadlift Day - I usually just do Deadlifts, Grip Training and Core Training on this. What I do on Deadlifts to progress is subject to change from Mesocycle to Mesocycle but there will always be one Deadlift variant in here. I haven't done Banded Deadlifts or Deficit Deadlifts in almost 6 months now so for the last 6 months it's been just regular Deadlifts. My programming of these Deadlifts has been different and is not necessarily consistent with the Mesocycle. For example, I am currently doing a 4 week mini-cycle of singles training where in Week 1 I hit 9 Singles, Week 2 is 5 Singles, Week 3 is 9 Singles and Week 4 is 3 singles. I began this singles cycle in the middle of my last Mesocycle so in this case the singles cycle will overlap into this Mesocycle 16. I just put up blocks of 4 weeks to make things more organized in my journal and with all my videos in general.

Friday: Press Day - I choose one Press variant - either Military Press, Bench Press or Dips and do a few heavy sets. I try to progress either by adding reps or adding sets or improving quality or reducing rest intervals. I hate all 3 of these exercises so I try to come up with fun ways to do them. After the Presses I perform 3-4 sets of heavy rows, then 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps on a different row variant and lastly 15-20 reps on facepulls. Then, ofcourse, comes core training.

Sunday: Squat Day - I usually do some squats then farmers walks or something similar for grip training and lastly I'll do some core training. I am not a fan of squats and don't care much for them at all. I am not a competing powerlifter and I have zero interest in doing them. BUT, I know how beneficial they are so I put some dedication into doing them. This Mesocycle I am going to focus on 4 Squat variations: Overhead Squats, Front Squats, Back Squats and Anderson Front Squats.

Monday: Pistol Squat Day - This is probably my favorite day of the week lol...I'll do some Pistol Squats, Pull-ups, Unilateral Press and lots of core work. This day has been the same for the last 6-7 months actually.

I hope that I've answered your question.

Looks good, what preworkout nutrition do you use?

I buy all my protein from Protein Factory.

For Whey, I drink a simple Whey Concentrate which costs me $40 for 10 lbs.

I mix that with Dextrose which costs me like $2.50 per pound.

I don't drink anything as a pre workout drink. I drink while I workout. I start sipping my shake as soon as I'm done with my mobility drills and I keep on sipping in between my sets. It's made a world of a difference to me.

My shakes for during workouts have 2 scoops of whey and 2 scoops of dextrose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sentinel

Sentinel

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 16 - Week 1

Pistol Squat Day

Beginning Thoughts:

This is last night's workout...​

Workout:

Pistol Squats:
7 + 4 = 11 reps
Decided to cut this short today. I wasn't feeling it and my legs were too sore for me to control my form properly.

Pull-ups:
(BW + 20 lbs x 2 reps x 5 minisets) x 3 sets
Total Reps = 30
Decided to do a cluster set for this today. I got all 3 sets on video...

Dumbbell Rows:
120 lbs x 4 reps
120 lbs x 2 reps x 3 sets
I absolutely hate it when my calluses hurt like this. It makes lifting VERY hard.

Unilateral Lat Pulldowns:
60 lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets

Lying Dragon Flags:
BW x 7 reps x 3 sets.

Videos:

Pistol Squats & Pull-ups:

Overall Impression:

Nothing special to think about. I need my calluses to heal because they're beginning to really piss me off!​

Sentinel

Sentinel

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 16 - Week 2

Deadlift Day

Beginning Thoughts:

I am finally done with exams. I leave for my hometown Bombay, India come Saturday afternoon. I am not looking forward to spending 20 hours on a freaking plane....I will workout tomorrow (Friday) and then I'll be gone for 2 days that it takes to travel to India. Then once I am home I'll be back online as regularly as always.​

Workout:

Deadlifts:
415 lbs x 3 reps
455 lbs x 1 rep
475 lbs x 1 rep
455 lbs x 1 rep
I was supposed to do 3 singles. This is the last week of the Singles Training. Next week I begin clusters.

Videos:

Deadlifts:

Overall Impression:

Diet has been super-gay during these exam weeks. I think I've gained 5 pounds just from eating tacos every night.

One of the cuisines which I really miss when I am home in Bombay is Mexican food. Otherwise, I'm all set to go :D

I hope everyone's had a good week. Friday is almost here and so is the weekend! :)

jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Superbe deadlifts mister.

Have a nice and safe trip back home and have a nice weekend :)

Sentinel

Sentinel

Thanks a lot Jonathan. I don't leave till Saturday though....Today is Press Day! :D

Sentinel

Sentinel

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 16 - Week 2

Press Day

Beginning Thoughts:

This is yesterday's workout. I leave for Bombay in 20 minutes so I'm gonna me this quick...​

Workout:

Incline Close Grip Crazy Bell Bench Press:
155 lbs x 5 reps
175 lbs x 3 reps
195 lbs x 2 reps
215 lbs x FAIL
185 lbs x 2 reps
This was super hard lol...

Dumbbell Rows:
120 lbs x 3 reps x 5 sets

Pull-ups:
BW x 8 reps x 3 sets
Definitely a PR...

Cable Rows:
170 lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets

Weird Ab Exercise:
80 lbs x 6 reps x 3 sets

Videos:

Press, Rows and Abs:
http://www.ironscene.com/play_hd.php?vid=3511[/url]​

Overall Impression:

Time to go...​

jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice Sentinel :), have a good journey

Sentinel

Sentinel

Thanks guys. Just got back. Gonna workout in the evening...

Sentinel

Sentinel

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 16 - Week 2

Squat Day

Beginning Thoughts:

So I arrived at 5 am today. I slept a lot on the plane...​

Workout:

Overhead Squats:
135 lbs x 5 reps
145 lbs x 5 reps
155 lbs x 4 reps, FAIL on 5th

Front Squats:
225 lbs x 5 reps
255 lbs x 4 reps
265 lbs x 3 reps
Tried to focus on form.

Back Squats:
295 lbs x 5 reps
315 lbs x 5 reps
345 lbs x 1 rep
365 lbs x FAIL because spotter helped my wrists
My goal next week is to get 315x5. That would be AWESOME!

Barbell Static Holds for Grip Work:
295 lbs x 10 seconds Over/Over Grip
205 lbs x 15 seconds x 3 sets Hook Grip

Weird Ab Exercise:
This exercise is damn hard to do on a Smith Machine. I just did some static holds.

Videos:

Overhead Squats, Front Squats and Back Squats:

Overall Impression:

I had a Pizza today. First time in 4 months. My replacement for Tacos I guess....​

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Sentinel

Sentinel

I LOVE oh squats!!! :D

X

Xiva

Banned
OH squats look good :)

Try to not bent over in your FSQ, it's not much, but you're still doing it :)
You probally allready know it, but i just wanted to make sure :)

And tbh i never see a problem to correct people, when you speak form :)

Good form is the way to succes :)

Sentinel

Sentinel

You got a smiley on every line lol...

I do "roll" over on my Front Squats - thats why I am focusing on reps and I aint getting too close to my max - 295 lbs. I'm within a good working range to try and get quality. On my set with 255, I rolled over quite a bit on the last rep and had to cut it short at 4 because the bar began to roll off my shoulders.

You can correct my form all you like. 99.9999% of the time I see eye to eye with you and I appreciate the input. The remaining part is usually about Deadlifts :p

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never tried OH squats, i dunno if i should lol,
anyway, awesome work man, superb show of strength and good form too!

Sentinel

Sentinel

I never tried OH squats, i dunno if i should lol,
anyway, awesome work man, superb show of strength and good form too!
Thanks. OH Squats hit my core and help me with my hip mobility a GREAT deal.

Sentinel

Sentinel

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 16 - Week 2

Pistol Squat Day

Beginning Thoughts:

Eating too much shit....I might end up putting on a lot of fat if I'm not careful or if I haven't already. I had a Pizza for the first time in 4 months and I followed that with 2 burgers and a shitload of coke. Awesome.​

Workout:

Pistol Squats:
3 + 3 + 3 + = 12 reps
MUCH better form than last week.

Pull-ups:
(BW + 20 lbs x 2 reps x 5 minisets) x 4 sets
Total Reps = 40
This destroyed me. I wasn't gonna do my 4th set but I decided to anyway. I got Cluster Set #4 on record.

Pallof Press:
17.5 kgs x 12 reps
20.0 kgs x 12 reps
22.5 kgs x 12 reps
25.0 kgs x 12 reps

Videos:

Pistol Squats & Pull-ups:

Overall Impression:

I'm gonna eat better tomorrow.​

jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
try to eat healthy :D solid squats

X

Xiva

Banned
You got a smiley on every line lol...

I do "roll" over on my Front Squats - thats why I am focusing on reps and I aint getting too close to my max - 295 lbs. I'm within a good working range to try and get quality. On my set with 255, I rolled over quite a bit on the last rep and had to cut it short at 4 because the bar began to roll off my shoulders.

You can correct my form all you like. 99.9999% of the time I see eye to eye with you and I appreciate the input. The remaining part is usually about Deadlifts :p

Bro, you gotta learn it - Smileys is the best! :) :) :) :)

Anyway, i uploaded squat in my log (page 7.) Perhabs you could have a look, i belive it looks better.

A few things i would like to mention, because you're most likely gonna say it too :)

- I need to get more angel at my feet, so that i can open my hip abit more.
- I need to get the weight at the back of my food, so that i dont fuck up my knee.
- The reason the lift is going so slow, is because i dont have angel at my feets and therefor have to use alot of strength to keep my knees out.