• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Big Boy Basics bodybuilding log

Status
Not open for further replies.
jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
still going strong thumbs up

Sentinel

Sentinel

PV and Jonathan: thanks a lot, guys.

Xiva: There is no set date for a max out. I haven't maxed out on any lift in over a year now. Whatever 1RMs I have hit have been during training....otherwise I've never gone into a workout expecting to max out or intending to.

Sentinel

Sentinel

Deadlift Training
Mesocycle 18 - Week 3

Beginning Thoughts:

Last semester at school and I think it's gonna be my most difficult yet.​

Workout:

Deadlifts:
415 lbs x 5 reps
425 lbs x 2 reps
420 lbs x 5 reps
430 lbs x 2 reps
425 lbs x 5 reps
My hands were hurting like a bitch today. I cannot describe the pain. Firstly: the weather over the last 2 days has sucked. I am not used to less than 50F temperatures and the main reason I chose Trinity University over all the other universities which accepted me was because I knew I'd love Texas weather. Well, right now my body is definitely NOT loving it. Infact, I am pretty darn sure my body hates this weather. I have never felt this lethargic and tired all the time....plus I've hardly been eating good food which all adds up in the end. At the same time, the cold is messing up my hands: my calluses are hurting painfully and gripping the bar is very painful. Usually, I switch my over/under grip to under/over every rep to keep symmetry and not allow my body to get used to just one grip. But, today, my hands were practically frozen in pain so I kept the grip to one side the entire set - and even then it was a painful experience. I almost threw up after set #3 but I kept going. One smart decision was to take adequate rest....most of the time I took 7-10 minutes between sets and that helped me recharge my batteries.
Front Squats:
Skipped
Swiss Ball Jackknife Pikes:
Skipped
Hand Extensions:
2 bands x 10 reps x 3 sets

Videos:

Deadlifts:​

Overall Impression:

I am gonna rest and eat and sleep in and tomorrow I might skip my back workout if I feel like absolute shit. I felt just fine going into the workout today though....it was just like all of a sudden after my warm-ups I just sat down for my usual 3 minute rest and I was reading a novel (I do that in between sets sometimes) and then all of a sudden my energy was just zapped. I had zero motivation. And this was even before I had started my first working set. Normally, if I ever get this feeling of tiredness and wanting to just be done with my workout its usually before my last set or so but never before my first set. What a pity. Hopefully next week I'll feel better. My form wasn't that awesome on the sets either. I just couldn't focus 100%. But, what I did do is watch some motivating videos of Konstantinovs and Magnusson which did the trick for the time being. Visual imagery always helps me focus better.​
I hope everyone's had a good week. Tomorrow is Friday!!! :)
Cheers everyone and thanks for reading!​

Last edited by a moderator:
jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Take some rest, get your body used to the cold. This can happen of course. Maybe you should come to Belgium, lots of snow here. haha

You must see it as a good exercise for your body to be able to perform in all conditions. Anyway I wish you good luck with that last semester.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ x2, rest up man, and i know how it feels with the cold, here in NL it is -7 Celsius at the moment, and im freezing in ma house!!lol

_ROBERTiNHO_

_ROBERTiNHO_

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
At the moment here where I live, south of Brazil, 35º Celsius:coolguy:

Not comfortable either, I sweat like a horse and have to drink like 2L of water while training.

And my hands hurts like hell on my deadlift day: smooth bar, no chalk and humidity. That's not easy.

Good recovery for your Big Boy and good weekend!

Sentinel

Sentinel

Jonathan: you like in Belgium? My best friend is from there!!! What a coincidence. He spent the summer working at InBev in their Global Auditing department. I've heard the weather is quite gloomy there. I visited Belgium like 7-8 years ago so I don't remember much and the weather must've been on the better side because I visited during the summer :) Thanks for the wishes and the kind words. Much appreciated!

PrinceVegeta: Man...that is way too cold me. I love shorts weather :D

_ROBERTiNHO_: First off: Brazil is awesome. I have an uncle who lives out there. Secondly: I'm from Bombay, India. 35 degrees celcius is beautiful for me, bro. I am used to drinking lots of water. :D

Thanks for dropping by, guys. Much appreciated!!!

X

Xiva

Banned
Champ, take care of your self. :) Training without 100% focus / full rested body, can be cruciel, and might lead to injury, specielly if your mind aren't at the right place..

Perhabs you should do some cardio, 2-5 min HIIT, to get really warmed up. Training while freezing is bad, i tried it too :p

Anyway, good deadlifts, but like you said they can be better. Perhabs if your hans are hearting next time, go for straps, i know you dont like it. But a small irritation can really fuck up your lift.
I know that because, when my hip joint is anoying me, i cant do a 100% focused squat.

Sentinel

Sentinel

^^^ Agreed and thanks for the input. Much appreciated as always, Mike :)

Sentinel

Sentinel

Squat Training
Mesocycle 18 - Week 3

Beginning Thoughts:

I have a hell week up ahead of me...​

Workout:

Front Squats:
270 lbs x 1 rep @ 95%
245 lbs x 3 reps @ 85%+
240 lbs x 3 reps x 4 sets
Very trying.
Metabolic Conditioning for 2 rounds:
Barbell Reverse Lunges using Front Squat Grip = 65 lbs x 8 reps
Renegade Rows = 45 lbs x 5 reps
Unilateral RDLs = 65 lbs x 10 reps
Dumbbell Windmills = 30 lbs x 10 reps
Nearly threw up...
Grip Training:
Regular Walmart Gripper for few sets and reps as a warm-up
Heavy Grips 150 lbs x 5 reps x 2 sets
CoC #1 x 1 rep x 3 attempts...barely got 1 rep lol...
Heavy Grips 150 lbs x 5 reps x 2 sets
This is so damn difficult!!! But, I am sure I am gonna nail this in a few weeks. I also did like 5 hand extension sets over the course of this. 3 of the 5 sets I mentioned right now were done as a cool-down of sorts...

Videos:

Front Squats & Metabolic Conditioning:​
Grip Training:​

Overall Impression:

Had a decent weekend. Lots of studying but I did go see Wolfman which was terribly disappointing. On a different note: any of you guys watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand? Awesome show...mainly because the sex scenes are awesome (lol) but I think it's got potential. I do think it's not as awesome as Gladiator or 300 but I think the comic book type cinematography grows on you..​

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You've got to love conditioning complexes don't you...

Not!

X

Xiva

Banned
Looks good champ. What are you own opinion about your FSQ technique?

Btw, is it just me or you seem to do some pelvic tilt?

Sentinel

Sentinel

You've got to love conditioning complexes don't you...

Not!

hahhahhaa....Agreed!!

Looks good champ. What are you own opinion about your FSQ technique?

Btw, is it just me or you seem to do some pelvic tilt?

My pelvic tilt (and this is going by that article Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey wrote up) does exist but it comes and goes....The best way which I seem to deal with it is by doing lots of planks. Then it disappears for a few months....then invariably I stop doing enough planks and bam! It's back. I noticed the same thing a few days ago and I'm working on it. Also, I tend to only be able to sleep on my stomach and that makes things much worse, you know? So hopefully in a couple more weeks I should be better.

Regarding Front Squats: I am very grateful you gave me that cycle. I think it is going to benefit me a lot because it allows me to improve my technique. So far my technique is fine with me...the only things which tend to bother me are:

1.) I sometimes sit back instead of down
2.) I don't take a wide enough stand (you can clearly see this on the last set with 240x3)
3.) My elbows droop because I stop concentrating

But these are tiny flaws which I try consciously (most of the time) to avoid and I think for the most part I am successful in avoiding them. Nonetheless, technique work can only be mastered through practice and thanks to the cycle you gave me, I am well on my way :)

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Solid session man! im going to check out that show u just mentioned! seems interesting!

X

Xiva

Banned
Great writing, once again very lovely to read.

And no problem with the cycle!

Sentinel

Sentinel

PV: Let me know how you like the sex...uh...I mean the show ;)

Xiva: Thanks, dude :)

X

Xiva

Banned
Do you have a link for the article? - I would love to read it.

Sentinel

Sentinel

Full Body Training
Mesocycle 18 - Week 3

Beginning Thoughts:

This is last night's workout...I had been running on 4 hours of sleep.​

Workout:

Front Squats:
170 lbs x 3 reps x 8 sets @ 60%
I need two squat days for this Brad Gilingham cycle and I've been juggling with trying to figure out where to put these. Now I know.
Pull-ups:
BW x 10 reps
BW x 9 reps
BW x 9 reps
BW x 8 reps
Total = 36 reps
Awesome.
Close Grip Bench Press:
185 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets
Front Plank Variation:
BW x 60 seconds x 3 sets
Weird Ab Exercise:
BW x 5 reps x 2 sets

Videos:

Front Squats, Pull-ups, Close Grip Bench Press, Front Plank Variation and Weird Ab Exercise:​

Overall Impression:

I slept for 10 hours straight last night. Feels great!​

jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
pretty good session :)

pingu

pingu

Nice frontsquat's :)

Status