• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Contests bodybuilders were robbed of their deserving Win or Given a Gift of 1st

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It wasn't only Mentzer who felt betrayed about the outcome of the Olympia, Frank Zane protested as well thus skipping the 1981 Olympia. Even if Arnold did look better on stage, he shouldn't even have been there! It wasn't fair at all for the competitors.
Probably wasn't fair for Arnie to be there, but he brought a crowd and made it a show. Plus when all said and done that decision was made several weeks before, just most people didn't know until that day. The vote on the day of the event by the other competitors came out in Arnies favour anyway, so clearly most of the guys on stage had no problems with him competing. But most of the whinging was about the vote to change the weight classes.

Looking back at pics of Zane he looked light. That was his trade mark and that alone lost him 1st place. Dickerson was definitely top 3.

Check out this pic and tell me that Arnie wasn't at least top 3.
1980lineup 1

Boyer Coe looked ordinary.
Arnie looked big, tall and muscular but his legs and condition were down.
Robbie looked like Robbie.
Mentzer had a thick mid section and small chest.
Zane looked light.
Dickerson looked fantastic.

I think that Mentzer had Mentzer in first place and forgot to suck his gut in when he posed. Have a read of this article: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/1980_olympia_review.htm
Rob points out that Mentzer didn't look finished enough. And Arnie played the crowd and the judges making him the centre of attention, thus whom everyone else was judged against.

I think in 1981 Francos' lower half of the body was off. Check out this picture with Danny Padilla.

Too bad Tom Platz wasn't in there for a comparison, but you know where I'm getting at!

Now I'm going to have to check out the '81 O again. I have a feeling you are right.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The whole Mentzer thing is so over-hyped. Sure Arnold might not have deserved to win but he sure wouldn't have deserved to be beaten by Mentzer.

H

hook3

I agree about Gunter in '02 man everyone seems to forget house close that was... I love Ronnie as much as anyone but its hard to believe that Levrone and Wheeler never got one especially Wheeler... and 2007 was a gift to Cutler I was at the show and the whole crowd booed when he was called... Victor won that show

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Some of Dorian wins, esp after his bicep injury, like '94, '96 and '97 where he looked god awful for a Mr O.

Jay in '07, Franco in '81, and for Arnold in 1980 Mr O, maybe he wasn't at his best, but he still was good enough to win. I don't see how Mentzer should've beat him lol

030-1.jpg

060-1.jpg

2h568hc-1.jpg

1z69xqu-1.jpg

2zyyihy-1.jpg

160eauf-1.jpg

11v3a1h-1.jpg

depl74-1.jpg

8vnpki-1.jpg

33ese9u-1.jpg

pxhs0-1.jpg

his victory was fair imho.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some of Dorian wins, esp after his bicep injury, like '94, '96 and '97 where he looked god awful for a Mr O.

Jay in '07, Franco in '81, and for Arnold in 1980 Mr O, maybe he wasn't at his best, but he still was good enough to win. I don't see how Mentzer should've beat him lol

2h568hc-1.jpg

1z69xqu-1.jpg

his victory was fair imho.

I think those two pics are exactly why Arnie won. Arnies back is bigger and better, his mid section is far superior, Mentzer was pwned. Now draw a comparison to Dickerson and you might have a different story.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Padilla got robbed so hard in '81. He looked fantastic that year. I wish i could find some more good comparison photos. He deserved that win for sure. I am going to scour the net, i will be back.

medicineman

medicineman

branch warren got robbed at this years arnold, should have at least beaten victor, and could go either way with kai.