• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Creator's Training Tip Thread

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tip 12

Always always always incorporate a de-load into your training. A de-load refers to a decrease in training intensity, usually for one week. This is done to prevent over training, prevent plateaus, and maximize your training and growth potential. A de-load is typically a reduction in intensity to 40-50% of 1RM with no increase in normal repetitions or sets ie overall volume. So how often should one incorporate a de-load? First off, a de-load should be very structured into ones program. Everyone on this site should be using the principle of periodization in their training. According to periodization, a macrocycle (a full year of resistance training, for example) is divided into two or more mesocycles, with variations in the intensity and volume of trianing as well as the specific form or type of training. For example, a year could include; strength, hypertrophy, power and endurance. In between each of these segments a de-load would certainly be necessary. More specifically, every 4-6 weeks of high intensity training should absolutely be followed by a de-load. Every cycle following a de-load should be a good opportunity to incorporate overload and break through sticking points.
So how does this all apply? As bodybuilders or recreational weight lifters alike, we all do what we do to see results. Results are indicative of smart training. Smart training is periodized training with incorporated de-loads. Dont waste time training instinctively. As you sit at your computer desk, take time to plan out month after month of training and make sure that you incorporate your de-loads.
Personally, I have been using my periodization program around and ub/lb split followed by a split routine and then back to ub/lb and so on. I use an undulating routine for my ub/lb and linear for my split routines. I incorporate a de-load every 6 weeks as I change programs. This has allowed me to do what we all love to do (lift heavy ass weights) and also assess my physique to incorporate the priority principle of resistance training which is to bring up weak points. Plan your training around your specific goals and base is around the core compound exercises and you will surely see success.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I should add that during a de-load, you should not be doing any spine loading movements.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

creator your fucking genius

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

Ah the horseshoe! I seem to recognized quite a bit for triceps and I swear by close grip bench press and skull crushers. Make sure that your hands have about six inches (at a minimum) between them. Also, make sure that you dont go all the way down to your chest on a close grip. For the skull crushers, rather than having your arms perpendicular to your body, decrease the angle of your arm to body from 90 degrees to about 75. This will take stress off the shoulders :)

hey creator,

in close gbp when i lower the bar after half range of motion my shoulder joints start to pain i tried to place my hands wider than 6 inches, pain dcreased a bit but still i cant lower the bar to get full range of motion bcuz of pain and tried to do it with bar unloaded but still my shoulder joints pains. the closer my elbows to the body the more pain in my shoulder.

any tip or advice!:gaysign:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hey creator,

in close gbp when i lower the bar after half range of motion my shoulder joints start to pain i tried to place my hands wider than 6 inches, pain dcreased a bit but still i cant lower the bar to get full range of motion bcuz of pain and tried to do it with bar unloaded but still my shoulder joints pains. the closer my elbows to the body the more pain in my shoulder.

any tip or advice!:gaysign:

Yes I have had some of the same pain doing these before. A couple of things that helped me are making sure that my grip is no more narrow than shoulder width and making sure I decrease the angle at my elbow. By that I mean try lowering the bar down closer to your sternum rather than chest or upper chest. At the bottom of the press, your elbow joint should be at 90 degrees flexion and no more. Also, dont get caught up trying to go all the way down to the chest. I always try to stop 3-5 inches above to make sure that I recruit as little chest as possible. Try those and see if that helps. It can put a lot of stress on the shoulder but I am confident that if you do it like I suggested that your pain will subside if not disappear.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

by lowering the bar down closer to your sternum you mean to the nipples or below nipples... right!!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Roughly. Sternum is at the bottom of your ribcage.

On the close grip thing I agree and have experienced the same thing. Close grip should only be shoulder width, narrower and you create all sorts of problems. The ROM I haven't found to be an issue. The main thing is that you need to set up correctly and work on shoulder mobility.

The set up requires retracted and depressed scapulars (pulled down and back) so that you are tight and shoulders stable.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

thanks tim and creator

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hey creator im stuck at 80lb db flat press for 3 reps, what can i do to increase the weight, and keep my reps consistent (higher)

I start with 70, then 75, and 2 sets 80

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hey creator im stuck at 80lb db flat press for 3 reps, what can i do to increase the weight, and keep my reps consistent (higher)

I start with 70, then 75, and 2 sets 80

I would recommend looking over overload and progression and making sure that you incorporate both. Some periodization, which could include a higher rep day and a lower rep day, will help as well. If it is strength your after, I would recommend making sure you incorporate other compound movements to help accessory muscles such as standing overhead press and close grip bench press/dips. Personally, it was when I switched to upper/lower split that I saw my greatest increase in strength gains. That UB/LB split included a lot of compound movements. Hope that helps :thumbsup2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would recommend looking over overload and progression and making sure that you incorporate both. Some periodization, which could include a higher rep day and a lower rep day, will help as well. If it is strength your after, I would recommend making sure you incorporate other compound movements to help accessory muscles such as standing overhead press and close grip bench press/dips. Personally, it was when I switched to upper/lower split that I saw my greatest increase in strength gains. That UB/LB split included a lot of compound movements. Hope that helps :thumbsup2:

Thanks, still look it up!

shivsiddh

shivsiddh

hey ssup man ... i wanted to know some good exercises for triceps ... well i know a bunch .. but i wanted to know some that actually help most in improving ones triceps ..... i cant do skull crushers(i know this is a big one), cause i have a fucked up left wrist from power cleans ...

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hey ssup man ... i wanted to know some good exercises for triceps ... well i know a bunch .. but i wanted to know some that actually help most in improving ones triceps ..... i cant do skull crushers(i know this is a big one), cause i have a fucked up left wrist from power cleans ...

Bad wrists are no bueno when it comes to tricep movements. If you are able to do close grip bench and dips, those are going to be your mass builders. I would imagine that french curls are out of the question as well. You may want to try dumbell skull crushers where you can approach a little more of a neutral grip. That should put less stress on your wrist. I prefer to do them on a decline bench with a slight tilt toward the back at the shoulder joint so I can take pressure off the elbow. Hope that helps.

shivsiddh

shivsiddh

Bad wrists are no bueno when it comes to tricep movements. If you are able to do close grip bench and dips, those are going to be your mass builders. I would imagine that french curls are out of the question as well. You may want to try dumbell skull crushers where you can approach a little more of a neutral grip. That should put less stress on your wrist. I prefer to do them on a decline bench with a slight tilt toward the back at the shoulder joint so I can take pressure off the elbow. Hope that helps.

thanks man, i will try dumbell skull crushers on the decline bench, i do dips but again i cannot do close grip bench cause it puts too much pressure on my wrists(sucks) ....

shivsiddh

shivsiddh

btw though .. for the dumbell skull crushers, do u suggest doing them with both dumbells at the same time or one dumbell at a time ?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've got a similar problem. It is hard to get the catch right in the Clean so that you don't strain the wrist.

I've found that Close grip lockouts, dips, and most rope extensions work well. I also have elbow problems and most extensions for triceps (skull crushers included) suck and give me pain. But one that does work is the sissy tricep ext.

Sissy tricep ext is basically setting a bar in a rack at about waist height (or lower depending on strength). Then stand about body length away from the bar, lean forward and grab the bar with a pronated shoulder width grip. Lower yourself using the triceps keeping the body flat such that your head passes the bar.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good suggestion Tim, thanks! Its not going to make a big difference whether you do the db skull crushers one at a time or both. I would say, simply for time's sake, do them at the same time.

shivsiddh

shivsiddh

thanks a lot for the tip tim and creator, gonna try those out .....

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No problem. Here is a good demonstration,

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

hey mike,

i wonder if its a good idea to have a protein shake frist thing in the morning than do cardio bcuz i get up hungry?