• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

decline bench press first?

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line said:
Pros aren't really the best examples of how to train properly. Once again, I'm not arguing in favor of Declines because I don't do them either, it's just your logic is faulty. Arnold would do five exercises for five sets each, usually pyramiding to his working weight and then would focus more on rep-range and pump than intensity. This isn't exactly optimal training, best chest or not.

ya.. you have a good point.. repped..:xyxthumbs:

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i thought decline is just the alternative to dips..dips being superior

MuscleHead

MuscleHead

SerbMarko said:
well in all honesty.. i dont think it does much but helps your ego .

I agree but it still has its place imo Sometimes BB is mental as much as it is physical. Doing declines has helped increase my flat and incline bench in the past. If it was mental or simply physical adaption who knows but it works:e5dunno:

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Decline dips have a strong place in my personal routine, but so do barbell presses of said variety. Mixing things up is a sure way to grow, so I'd not eliminate decline presses. I feel they carve out my lower shelf and give it some definite life, plus you avoid the pec-tearing goodness of the dangerous-and-overhyped flat presses. As with everyone else, it's just my opinion.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I can honestly say it has been about a decade since I last did decline bench!

The only advantage of it over any other form of benching is that it does have less involvement of the anterior deltoids in the lift, so it can be useful for those who have over powering front delts.

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
I can honestly say it has been about a decade since I last did decline bench!

The only advantage of it over any other form of benching is that it does have less involvement of the anterior deltoids in the lift, so it can be useful for those who have over powering front delts.
thats me...:uhoh2: maybe i should add declines...

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
curtisymoo

curtisymoo

didn't dorian say he does his flat pressed slightly decline (like 10-15 degrees) because thats where you are strongest mechanically in a chest press?

Joeb23

Joeb23

I don't know... To me working the lower portion of your chest is just as important as any other part would be. I feel like declines really help develop more lower chest, which in turn helps your upper chest development by way of holding the pecs up a little more. It almost seems to prevent that hanging look that so many pros have. Also, I feel like it gives my chest more of a rounder fuller look. I know Arnold did not do them, but he did dips instead. I just think everybody should be doing something for their lower chest or else they are missing out. It seems like a forgotten exercise.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't know... To me working the lower portion of your chest is just as important as any other part would be. I feel like declines really help develop more lower chest, which in turn helps your upper chest development by way of holding the pecs up a little more. It almost seems to prevent that hanging look that so many pros have. Also, I feel like it gives my chest more of a rounder fuller look. I know Arnold did not do them, but he did dips instead. I just think everybody should be doing something for their lower chest or else they are missing out. It seems like a forgotten exercise.

If anything it is completely the opposite. The clavicular head is smaller and often poorly recruited in presses. So if anything exercises that have a greater involvement of the clavicular head are needed.

Plus the sternal portion of the pecs is involved in just about all presses in the frontal plane.

curtisymoo said:
didn't dorian say he does his flat pressed slightly decline (like 10-15 degrees) because thats where you are strongest mechanically in a chest press?
Dorain clearly didn't have an engineering or biomechanics degree. The only advantage of the decline press is the shorter ROM which could allow more weight. But the angle actually places the shoulder at a vulnerable position for pressing. THe supporting musclature in this position are all small muscles that will have a hard time acting at an obtuse force angle. Dips are far superior and safer.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
declines suck. end of thread.

incline heavy + flat press heavy = big chest