• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Dennis Wolf - Back workout July 2010

8thWonder

8thWonder

Machines only workout...

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Well that's too bad, since his lower back barely gets fatigued.

He did hyperextensions and deadlifts in this clip. And probably more sets then they showed. Surely he's fatigued to some extent, but I agree its not enough

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Oh its nutriton alright...but proper? not likely (^^)

F

Freak

A lot of you are probably forgetting that it is lower lats he's lacking, not the lower back itself- spine erectors. His lower lats do look thicker here, and most of the exercises he did , esp the first few were in fact for lower lats. Maybe there's a reason why he's not doing bentover rows and heavy deads.. back problems maybe..? I myself don't do more than 2 plates on deads after i fucked up my back a year ago. And back then I did 5 plates on deads. But I fucked it up by doing incline db presses. Go figure... I notice when I use 2 plates and go for 10-12 reps, slowly, with good form, without touching the floor I feel it pretty damn good down there. You don't have to use heavy weight on deads and max out all the time, you can use proper weight with which you can do 6-8 reps, and with proper form I think you will get decent results, and it's much safer too than using heavy weights for very few reps

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A lot of you are probably forgetting that it is lower lats he's lacking, not the lower back itself- spine erectors. His lower lats do look thicker here, and most of the exercises he did , esp the first few were in fact for lower lats. Maybe there's a reason why he's not doing bentover rows and heavy deads.. back problems maybe..? I myself don't do more than 2 plates on deads after i fucked up my back a year ago. And back then I did 5 plates on deads. But I fucked it up by doing incline db presses. Go figure... I notice when I use 2 plates and go for 10-12 reps, slowly, with good form, without touching the floor I feel it pretty damn good down there. You don't have to use heavy weight on deads and max out all the time, you can use proper weight with which you can do 6-8 reps, and with proper form I think you will get decent results, and it's much safer too than using heavy weights for very few reps
No such thing as lower lats. I don't know how many times people need to explain this, but the lats is one whole muscle and does not have different areas. The muscle is stimulated as a whole, not separately.

oldez

oldez

No such thing as lower lats. I don't know how many times people need to explain this, but the lats is one whole muscle and does not have different areas. The muscle is stimulated as a whole, not separately.
Latissimus dorsi is such a large muscle and it can do a lot of different action. Muscle contraction is a lot more than signal coming from the nervous system. Different parts of the muscle contract in a different ways in different exercises. There is no way and no exercise that will make latissimus dorsi's all muscle fibers contract maximally at the same time. It is just not possible. That is why you need to do different exercises to have a complete exercise. Sure there are exercises that recruit more muscle fibers. Our bodies are not as simple as that. Even doing the same movement in different position can recruit different muscle fibers of the same muscle, because our balance receptors are telling a different story to our brains. So you can in fact train different parts of the same muscle.

Many people make the same mistake with abs. They think that it is just a single muscle, but actually there are many smaller muscles that are interconnected. They have their own muscle bellies and their own nerves coming from the spine. That means that you need to do different types of ab exercises in order to get all of the muscle fibers trained.

How is it that I always find myself giving anatomy lectures in threads about Dennis Wolf's back? :D

kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Latissimus dorsi is such a large muscle and it can do a lot of different action. Muscle contraction is a lot more than signal coming from the nervous system. Different parts of the muscle contract in a different ways in different exercises. There is no way and no exercise that will make latissimus dorsi's all muscle fibers contract maximally at the same time. It is just not possible. That is why you need to do different exercises to have a complete exercise. Sure there are exercises that recruit more muscle fibers. Our bodies are not as simple as that. Even doing the same movement in different position can recruit different muscle fibers of the same muscle, because our balance receptors are telling a different story to our brains. So you can in fact train different parts of the same muscle.
So you're saying we should refer the lats into different regions such as upper and lower? From what I've read, people say that you can't target the lats in that way.

How is it that I always find myself giving anatomy lectures in threads about Dennis Wolf's back? :D
Because Wolf's back is very controversial. But can we both agree that it is the lats that Wolf lacks, more so than his spine erectors? Or maybe just both that he really lacks?

Y

yardharr

Wolf gets his width from the size of his shoulders and shoulderblades as well as trapezius and rotator cuff muscles. His lats are like his calves- nonexistent.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Many people make the same mistake with abs. They think that it is just a single muscle, but actually there are many smaller muscles that are interconnected. They have their own muscle bellies and their own nerves coming from the spine. That means that you need to do different types of ab exercises in order to get all of the muscle fibers trained.

Hmmmm. I don't agree, but I see what you are driving at. The lats are made up of 6 segments, with some level of seperate innervation. But to say that somehow that there is upper and lower lats or that you can target a specific part is spurious. Please refer to the this post for more: http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/215714-Isolate-that-muscle!

You can have lagging areas of development, such as Wolf's lats, simply because he isn't really hitting the lats but rather the other higher up muscles that are often mistaken for lats.
380pxLatissimus_dorsi_PNG-1.png

Last time we discussed this you were trying to talk about Kai vs Dennis for lat insertion points and how working on his lats (or doing deadlifts) wouldn't help. Clearly the noticeable improvement he has made from targeting his lats (albeit in a manner different to what I was previously recommending) is just photoshop. Wolf's lats are there, they are being hit, he isn't hitting "lower lats" because the lats are one muscle.

Reactions: Daniel Andersson
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Wolf's lats suk- PERIOD.

Even if you can train your lowe lats more then your upper lats.... where are wolf's upper lats? Just because he has a great upper and wide back doesnt mean he has good "upper latst". He has good Rhomboids, Deltoids, and Teres Major.... he has no lats. His lats suck in general, theres no point in him focusing on his lower lats because he needs bigger lats overall. Its like a bodybuider with huge biceps and no tricep, he doesnt have to focus on one of his tricep heads over another because he needs Triceps in general.... although, thats not a good example because the tricep is 3 muscles while the latismus is one... but what im saying is that whether he can focus on one part of the muscle or not doesnt matter because he needs the entire muscle to grow... I do see improvements since his last outing (could be lighting) but his lats are still not as good as they were 5 years ago or so.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hhhmm I didn't know Dennis trained back ... interesting hhhmmm :bitelip:

oldez

oldez

Hmmmm. I don't agree, but I see what you are driving at. The lats are made up of 6 segments, with some level of seperate innervation. But to say that somehow that there is upper and lower lats or that you can target a specific part is spurious. Please refer to the this post for more: http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/215714-Isolate-that-muscle!

You can have lagging areas of development, such as Wolf's lats, simply because he isn't really hitting the lats but rather the other higher up muscles that are often mistaken for lats.

Last time we discussed this you were trying to talk about Kai vs Dennis for lat insertion points and how working on his lats (or doing deadlifts) wouldn't help. Clearly the noticeable improvement he has made from targeting his lats (albeit in a manner different to what I was previously recommending) is just photoshop. Wolf's lats are there, they are being hit, he isn't hitting "lower lats" because the lats are one muscle.
The point I was trying to make was that there are different parts of lats and that not all of the activate maximally in a single exercise and if you do not activate all parts of the muscle then other parts of the muscle can grow less. It was not specifically aimed at Dennis Wolf's back.

I believe that Dennis Wolf just has really bad genetics when it comes to lats and calves. He has a high torso and high lat origins, which does not make it any easier. I agree that he is a pussy when it comes to training. Hey come on, an all machinces back workout and deadlift is the last exercise WTF? But how is it that he still manages to grow every other part of his body with those lazy ass workouts? It just can't be that the workouts are so louzy. That much juice and food should grow something. It's like Markus Ruhl can't make his triceps grow although he he is the biggest and baddest mother fucker there is.