• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

DONNIE THOMPSON BREAKS WORLD POWERLIFTING TOTAL RECORD WITH 2905LBS

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome sounds great. Where in SC would you be stationed at or do you know yet?

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome sounds great. Where in SC would you be stationed at or do you know yet?

SC has a bunch of army bases so not quite sure. im put it on my wishlist along with maryland and penn. the cool thing about my job is that i could be stationed anywhere. but, if i get orders for korea then i might spend the next year there. :bitelip:

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bench and squat were really impressive but I don't get why he "only" deadlifts 760...

Awesome record, though.

P

PiC

you guys call that a squat? pathetic... if he closes up his feet he will not lift much that is more injury then lifting powerlifting is such bullshit.and strongman contests are much fair!!!without suits and bullshit.when u say bench press u bench with ur normal body without belt wthout suit wihtout anyother bullshit. so on with squats and etc..

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Apparently this organization, the IPA, is VERY lenient in their judging, much more than the IPF.

While these weights are impressive, I'd really be hesitant to consider this the "world record".

jsfitnessking

jsfitnessking

very impressive, cool vid

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Somehow, in spite of those huge numbers, I wasn't impressed...

?

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome for true...but only 760 on deads amd 900 on bench? all suits and wraps etc...

Thats why i prefer strong man events...

The deadlift was done RAW and with an abductor tear. Donnie has deadlifted well into the 800's RAW.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ simply because of the lack of ROM because of the super wide stance, the shitty bench will all the gear and the totally weak deads from a 375 + pounds guy

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The deadlift was done RAW and with an abductor tear. Donnie has deadlifted well into the 800's RAW.

But that still means that the deadlift is weaker then the bench...how much can he bench raw? as long as the lifts are assisted like that, im not impressed

A normal person isnt supposed to be able to bench more the they dealdift RAW, that why i respect Andy Bolton much more then this guy, but im not taking away that he is strong as hell

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Listening to Donnie at the end of that video he is obviously a pretty nice guy.

But I didn't see one squat that he did that broke parrallel. His bench was fine and his deadlift didn't look locked to me. So I think that the federation judges knew he was trying to set a record and were a bit leniant on the judging.

I'm not a fan of powerlifting gear or any support equipment. But it still takes G&D and oodles of strength to step up to any of those lifts.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But that still means that the deadlift is weaker then the bench...how much can he bench raw? as long as the lifts are assisted like that, im not impressed

No, it doesn't, the dealift in this meet was done RAW while the bench was not. And, the deadlift was done with an abductor tear.

]
A normal person isnt supposed to be able to bench more the they dealdift RAW, that why i respect Andy Bolton much more then this guy, but im not taking away that he is strong as hell

If you don't like geared competitions than go an watch RAW competitions. I don't know what Donnie benches RAW but he has deadlifted 805 and squatted 800 RAW in a meet about 1 and a half years ago. Honestly, only in powerlifting will you get a bunch of e-experts saying crap about gear this, gear that.

As far as IPA judges being lenient it really depends who judges the meet. The Powerstation Pro/Am always has great judging and they don't care how much weight the person is doing or who they are and the same goes for the Columbus Pro/Am. You'll always have "questionable" judges but just remember that the IPA goes by a different parallel than the IPF. I'm pretty sure the IPA goes by the top of the thigh while the IPA goes by the hip joint and knee joint being parallel.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Listening to Donnie at the end of that video he is obviously a pretty nice guy.

But I didn't see one squat that he did that broke parrallel. His bench was fine and his deadlift didn't look locked to me. So I think that the federation judges knew he was trying to set a record and were a bit leniant on the judging.

I'm not a fan of powerlifting gear or any support equipment. But it still takes G&D and oodles of strength to step up to any of those lifts.

Yep, I'd agree with everything in your assessment.

I don't mind some supporting equipment... the reason why some of these equipment were originally created was to prevent injury.... now, it's just ridiculous.

I think that bench should be done raw, but I wouldn't mind a weight belt be used with deadlifts and squats, or using knee wraps with squats as well.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No, it doesn't, the dealift in this meet was done RAW while the bench was not. And, the deadlift was done with an abductor tear.

]

If you don't like geared competitions than go an watch RAW competitions. I don't know what Donnie benches RAW but he has deadlifted 805 and squatted 800 RAW in a meet about 1 and a half years ago. Honestly, only in powerlifting will you get a bunch of e-experts saying crap about gear this, gear that.

As far as IPA judges being lenient it really depends who judges the meet. The Powerstation Pro/Am always has great judging and they don't care how much weight the person is doing or who they are and the same goes for the Columbus Pro/Am. You'll always have "questionable" judges but just remember that the IPA goes by a different parallel than the IPF. I'm pretty sure the IPA goes by the top of the thigh while the IPA goes by the hip joint and knee joint being parallel.

But wouldnt the same abductor tear limit his squats? apparently it didnt

Im not taking away that he is strong as hell, just that im not impressed his world record, But if he does come back and does a 850+ dead then it would be better IMO

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But wouldnt the same abductor tear limit his squats? apparently it didnt

Im not taking away that he is strong as hell, just that im not impressed his world record, But if he does come back and does a 850+ dead then it would be better IMO

He tore the abductor on his deadlift opener.

I just don't really get why people get all fussy about geared competitions. There are several classes in most divisions; raw, single-ply, double-ply and then unlimited gear.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^oh didn't know that, that sucks tearing something in the opening lift...fucks up your whole comp.

I guess he competed in unlimited gear? It just seems fake bench pressing 900+ pounds with so much assistance, but i totally respect people who do it and they deserve all the respect because that is some hell of a amount of weight to have on ur chest, But peronally i prefer Raw because it is more the person doing all the lifts instead of having gear to assist

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^oh didn't know that, that sucks tearing something in the opening lift...fucks up your whole comp.

I guess he competed in unlimited gear? It just seems fake bench pressing 900+ pounds with so much assistance, but i totally respect people who do it and they deserve all the respect because that is some hell of a amount of weight to have on ur chest, But peronally i prefer Raw because it is more the person doing all the lifts instead of having gear to assist

That's understandable but benching 900 geared probably means Donnie could press close to 700 RAW. Either way, when going with geared lifts the technique is way more involved and the lift really changes in terms of actually completing it in a safe manner. It's not like you throw a suit/shirt on and add 200lbs to your lift (not saying you said this).

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's not like you throw a suit/shirt on and add 200lbs to your lift (not saying you said this).

Isn't Mendelson's 715 raw still the world record? Either way, people have benched over 1,000 lbs with the shirt on, so I think saying that bench shirts adding 200 lbs, maybe even up to 300lbs isn't a stretch.

Edit:

Mendelson's 715 raw

Mendelson just missing 1015 with a shirt

Last edited by a moderator:
TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Isn't Mendelson's 715 raw still the world record? Either way, people have benched over 1,000 lbs with the shirt on, so I think saying that bench shirts adding 200 lbs, maybe even up to 300lbs isn't a stretch.

From what I know Mendelson still has the RAW WR while Kennelly has the geared WR (1075 @ 308). Yea, with the right technique a shirt could probably add 300lbs depending on a boat load of factors, though.