• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Dorian Yates MD seminar - chest and legs training

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Biomechanically... the movement of the humerus is the same for flyes and press.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim,
The "Biomechanics behind my statement" are as follows.

The Pectoralis Major muscles (also known as the Pecs) are located on the front of the rib cage.

The Pecs attach to the humerus (upper arm) near the shoulder joint and originate on the breastbone in the center of the chest.

The fibers of the Pectoralis muscles run like a fan across the chest. The fan-like structure of the Pecs allows the humerus to move in a variety of planes across the body.
This is physiology.

The function of the Pectoralis Major is to bring the humerus (upper arm) across the chest. A flye movement is the best example of this action.

Hope that helps.

The pec major performs several actions, as its primary role is in movement of the shoulder (it is even involved in shoulder pressing). Simply put the pec major flexes, adducts and rotates the arm medially (toward the centre line of the body). So the flexion of the arm is akin to throwing, adduction is bringing the arm into the body like someone coming to attention or pulling a MM, and the rotation of the arm medially is like arm wrestling.

Secondary roles abound, from their role as expanders of the rib cage, pinning the arm in the shoulder joint, it can contribute to abduction of the arm at certain angles, it can also provide downward movement of the shoulder (like in dips).

So you can see why saying that one exercise is somehow representative of what the pectorialis major does is an erronous statement. Especially for an exercise like flyes. And like Skeptic said, the press and flye are essentially the same movement, watch enough vids and you'll see most heavy flyes look more like presses.

Last edited by a moderator:
joemamma5

joemamma5

Thank You for sharing the difference between Biomechanics and physiology. Also for the "copy and past" feedback. Surely no one else has been guilty of that without giving reference in these forums. Cheers!

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn, too bad I don't have that pull over machine in my gym. It looks wicked. 'Cause I hate doing pull overs with dumbbells. :(

I hope the next video will be triceps and delts!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn, too bad I don't have that pull over machine in my gym. It looks wicked. 'Cause I hate doing pull overs with dumbbells.

I hope the next video will be triceps and delts!
Do front levers instead. Pullovers are lame in comparison.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Explain this exercise timmy...I'm interested

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This video has a front lever going into a front lever pullup. So the first action is the front leve that you would perform.

Obviously there are progressions towards doing these, like tucked position ones (which I'm doing atm) and front lever pulls, etc. The beastskills page that the photo is from has a good article on how to progress to doing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cool they look tough...gonna have to give them a try

Thanks

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Interesting Tim. Looks pretty difficult. You must have a pretty strong core to do those. I'll give them a try (more like "attempt"). I'll try out with the tucked position ones haha. :)