• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Eccentrics make you strong and huge

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Being flexible will make you stronger with pretty well any part of lifting weights. Don't stretch before workouts.... but you should after.

Why would it make you stronger? I can only see a benefid for getting a full range of motion. I think that being funcional flexible (flexible enough to perform a full rom or to do an exercise correctly) is something you should aim for, being more flexible than that doesnt bring much benefids and might even increase the chance of getting an injury. I havent read much about this topic so I could be wrong here.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why would it make you stronger? I can only see a benefid for getting a full range of motion. I think that being funcional flexible (flexible enough to perform a full rom or to do an exercise correctly) is something you should aim for, being more flexible than that doesnt bring much benefids and might even increase the chance of getting an injury. I havent read much about this topic so I could be wrong here.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992 Jan;24(1):116-23.
Stretch shorten cycle performance enhancement through flexibility training.
Wilson GJ, Elliott BC, Wood GA.

Sixteen experienced male powerlifters served as subjects in a training study designed to examine the effect of flexibility training on: (i) the stiffness of the series elastic components (SEC) of the upper body musculature and (ii) rebound and purely concentric bench press performance. Nine of the subjects participated in two sessions of flexibility training twice per week for 8 wk. Prior to and after the training period the subjects' static flexibility, SEC stiffness, rebound bench press (RBP), and purely concentric bench press (PCBP) performance were recorded. The flexibility training induced a significant reduction in the maximal stiffness of the SEC. Furthermore, the experimental subjects produced significantly more work during the initial concentric portion of the RBP lift, enabling a significantly greater load to be lifted in the post-training testing occasion. The benefits to performance achieved by the experimental group consequent to flexibility training were greater during the RBP lift as compared with the PCBP lift. The control subjects exhibited no change in any variable over the training period. These results implied that the RBP performance enhancement observed consequent to flexibility training was directly caused by a reduction in SEC stiffness, increasing the utilization of elastic strain energy during the RBP lift.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well i stretch a little after each set..
and sometimes before my whole workouts
i'll remember to keep the stretching til' afterwards
thanks IS.