• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Foot Position for Quads

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For me, wider hits more wider part, but depends on what leg workout, for leg press wide stance helps inner. some reason i guess it happens to me oddly for some reason.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
soo you can honestly say that if you squattin wide stance or squatting narrow stance you feel muscle working in the same part :ughnoes: i dunno about you but i like to do lots of reps soo i can feel it soo mayb diff for u :dunnodude:
As much as people like to think they are unique and special they really aren't. We have the same basic makeup that doesn't change. Now if you want to discuss insertion points and muscle belly length and how it affects muscle recruitment then fine. But you are trying to argue basic biomechanics of the human anatomy.

The hip operates in several planes of motion, the ankle ditto, the knee has only one motion. All the quad muscles insert into the patella so they have the same insertion point with slightly differing origins. This means that short of extreme positions that create lateral or medial shear at the knee (which you would notice and so would your surgeon's bank account) you can't preferentially load any of the quads.

That said the reason for multiple muscles is in the thigh is so that the thigh can perform different ROM and movement patterns. Physios are slowly coming to this conclusion after years of research and applied training in trying to isolate the VMO. The volume of work they have done in the face of their own belief of isolation is staggering and they are giving up on finding the panacea. I guaruntee that if you could isolate or even preferentially recruit the VL or VM then they would be having all ACL ruptured patients doing a specific width squat.

Now as to why you feel muscle X when doing Y width; how do you know that relatively speaking your form, depth, relative involvement of the other 4-5 knee flexors, relative involvement of the hip flexors, etc haven't changed? How do you know what your weak points are that are being compensated for?

Seriously; the bridge is already under offer, but the rock that keeps away tigers I've got in stock.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

As much as people like to think they are unique and special they really aren't. We have the same basic makeup that doesn't change. Now if you want to discuss insertion points and muscle belly length and how it affects muscle recruitment then fine. But you are trying to argue basic biomechanics of the human anatomy.

The hip operates in several planes of motion, the ankle ditto, the knee has only one motion. All the quad muscles insert into the patella so they have the same insertion point with slightly differing origins. This means that short of extreme positions that create lateral or medial shear at the knee (which you would notice and so would your surgeon's bank account) you can't preferentially load any of the quads.

That said the reason for multiple muscles is in the thigh is so that the thigh can perform different ROM and movement patterns. Physios are slowly coming to this conclusion after years of research and applied training in trying to isolate the VMO. The volume of work they have done in the face of their own belief of isolation is staggering and they are giving up on finding the panacea. I guaruntee that if you could isolate or even preferentially recruit the VL or VM then they would be having all ACL ruptured patients doing a specific width squat.

Now as to why you feel muscle X when doing Y width; how do you know that relatively speaking your form, depth, relative involvement of the other 4-5 knee flexors, relative involvement of the hip flexors, etc haven't changed? How do you know what your weak points are that are being compensated for?

Seriously; the bridge is already under offer, but the rock that keeps away tigers I've got in stock.

like i said i dont no the science behind it, BUT thats what i feel when i work out and i no alot of other ppl do aswell soo are muscle must b lyin grrr no good :wutyousay:

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive been working on my outer sweep more lately, and Ive found that a slightly narrow stance on a front squat has been working wonders. You can still go pretty heavy even with the stance focusing on the outer sweep and your squatting. What could be better??

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive been working on my outer sweep more lately, and Ive found that a slightly narrow stance on a front squat has been working wonders. You can still go pretty heavy even with the stance focusing on the outer sweep and your squatting. What could be better??
Please read the thread before posting. kthx :xyxthumbs:

In fact a challenge anyone to find a study that shows preferential recruitment of the VL and VM statistically proven (aside from the leg ext ref I referred to). I'd be really interested to see if one exists.