• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Former Mr. Olympia Shawn Rhoden Reportedly Dead At 46 Years Old

• Thread starter The King Of Lurkers
  • Start date
The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pro bodybuilder and former Mr. Olympia champion Shawn Rhoden has died.

Tapatalk 1505560037

More sad news has hit the bodybuilding world in the already tragic year – pro bodybuilder and former Mr. Olympia champion Shawn Rhoden has reportedly died of a heart attack. He was 46 years old. The pro bodybuilder was a modern legend in the sport who also faced serious controversy in the years after winning Mr. Olympia in 2018.

Very little information has been revealed at the time of this writing. But sources close to Generation Iron have reported that Shawn Rhoden suffered a fatal heart attack. Rhoden’s trainer, Chris Aceto, has also confirmed to close friends that the bodybuilder had passed away. Posts on social media from fellow athletes, experts, and fans have begun to pour out Saturday morning for the late pro bodybuilder.

An aspiring soccer player in his early teens, Shawn Rhoden discovered bodybuilding in 1992. One of his earliest inspirations was the former Mr. Universe champion Yohnnie Shambourger. Rhoden entered into his amateur bodybuilding career – only to face several injuries that pulled him out of competing. Shortly after, his father passed away.

The combination of these two events led to Shawn Rhoden developing an alcohol addiction – completely derailing any chance of returning to a career in competitive bodybuilding. However, after putting much work into slow recovery, he returned to the sport and eventually earned his IFBB Pro card in 2010.

Shawn Rhoden placed 11th at his Mr. Olympia debut in 2011. Just one year later he rose to third place. From that moment on, Rhoden remained in the top five at the Mr. Olympia competition year after year. He was seen as a serious threat to the title and was well known and respected for his smaller more aesthetic physique compared to the “mass monster” body types of his fellow competitors.

In 2018, Shawn Rhoden defeated Phil Heath in Mr. Olympia. He was 43 years old – making him the oldest bodybuilder to ever win the title. His win was also notable for being the first person to dethrone Heath, who had won seven straight titles in a row and was looking to tie the world record of eight championship victories.

Shawn Rhoden
Leading up to his Mr. Olympia victory, a documentary was filmed chronicling his training and prep leading up to the competition titled Flexatron: Becoming Shawn Rhoden. The documentary also dove deep into his past exploring his upbringing, his series of injuries, the tragic passing of his father, and his alcohol dependence. Generation Iron distributed the film in 2019, released less than one year after his Mr. Olympia victory.

In July 2019, Shawn Rhoden was accused of sexually assaulting a fellow female bodybuilder at a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah. The accusations claimed the events took place in October 2018 – very shortly after his Mr. Olympia win. He was formally charged in July 2019. Shortly after the official charge, American Media Inc (AMI) issued a statement officially banning Rhoden from competing at the Mr. Olympia competition. This decision was to be reconsidered upon the conclusion of legal proceedings. Up until his passing, the accusations against Shawn Rhoden were never proven nor cleared.

The article came from: https://generationiron.com/shawn-rhoden-bodybuilder-dead/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KaiGold and TalkAdmin
The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
RIP CHAMP Very Very sad news

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Omg I was just going to post this! So sad! RIP!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KaiGold and The King Of Lurkers
The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Omg I was just going to post this! So sad! RIP!

Indeed bro first the trial and know this poor guy

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
I wonder what happened.

Reactions: KaiGold
TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
I think he died in his sleep probably from a heart attack..

Be careful guys!

Reactions: KaiGold
The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think he died in his sleep probably from a heart attack..

Be careful guys!

Yeah it was a heart attack the question is what triggered the heart attack, was it roids... we have to wait for the autopsy.

251341181_1754547701396727_7057966125654589430_n.jpg

Reactions: TalkAdmin and KaiGold
The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
another impresive shot of the champ

251033165_453821696104325_4318876214635048589_n.jpg

Reactions: TalkAdmin and KaiGold
KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What? Shawn Rhoden is dead? No fucking way... Rip.

Reactions: TalkAdmin and The King Of Lurkers
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
No man, just no! It cannot be..

Such tragic news...he never looked like one of those unhealthy bodybuilders to me, I still cannot believe it.

Rest in peace, Shawn.

Reactions: The King Of Lurkers, TalkAdmin and KaiGold

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
very sad news :(
rip Shawn rhoden :(

Reactions: The King Of Lurkers, TalkAdmin and KaiGold
ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
RIP Shawn. Really depressing news.

Reactions: The King Of Lurkers and TalkAdmin
TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
From Big Ramy:
"No words can let you know how much we will miss you shawn . Rest In Peace my brother "
FB IMG 1636287039189

Reactions: The King Of Lurkers and ArnoldS
Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
My heart goes out to Shawn's family. I met him in 2012 when we both worked for FLEX Magazine and we have remained friendly ever since. He wasn't just some guy I was a ghostwriter for his column or interviewed for FLEX and MuscleSport Magazine; I actually considered him a friend. We had each other's cell phone numbers and always chit chatted when we'd see each other at events. Shawn was a genuinely nice guy and very humble, quiet and soft spoken. He always had time for me for a quick interview, even after he won the Mr. Olympia and had a line at his booth. It may sound trivial, but I was honored that he always knew who I was and remembered my name.

We saw each other numerous times at the recent Olympia Weekend in the hotel and at the expo. He looked great as usual and had that same smile on his face. He was at the Muscle Beach booth and I was talking to the owner of that company that Rhoden was a great choice to promote his company and showed him the image I saved on my phone of the Winter 2013 issue of mSm with Shawn on the cover. I tilted the phone to Shawn and he had a big smile.

That's how I will remember Shawn - smiling.
549693 10152335353020331 1318070754 n
Winter 2013 cover

Reactions: underbody, tkD, ArnoldS and 2 others
TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
My heart goes out to Shawn's family. I met him in 2012 when we both worked for FLEX Magazine and we have remained friendly ever since. He wasn't just some guy I was a ghostwriter for his column or interviewed for FLEX and MuscleSport Magazine; I actually considered him a friend. We had each other's cell phone numbers and always chit chatted when we'd see each other at events. Shawn was a genuinely nice guy and very humble, quiet and soft spoken. He always had time for me for a quick interview, even after he won the Mr. Olympia and had a line at his booth. It may sound trivial, but I was honored that he always knew who I was and remembered my name.

We saw each other numerous times at the recent Olympia Weekend in the hotel and at the expo. He looked great as usual and had that same smile on his face. He was at the Muscle Beach booth and I was talking to the owner of that company that Rhoden was a great choice to promote his company and showed him the image I saved on my phone of the Winter 2013 issue of mSm with Shawn on the cover. I tilted the phone to Shawn and he had a big smile.

Winter 2013 cover
It's sad Joe. He got shit canned from competing before even having a chance to prove himself innocent. No he will never have the chance.

That's pretty cool that you knew him so well. It's a heartbreaking sport seeing so many of these guys dying so fucking young. Especially when you know some of them personally.

Reactions: ArnoldS
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP

Winter 2013 cover

Hey Joe, I am asking you because maybe you could get this info, but do you know if Shawn was fully vaccinated with the covid vaccine?

The reason I am asking this is because I find it strange that this year alone, 2021, which happens to be the first year of the vaccine mandate etc etc, a lot of young bodybuilders have died of heart attack.

There was a female bb'er that died at 28, George Peterson at 37, Shawn at 46, John Meadows (cause of death - pulmonary embolism: A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot that develops in a blood vessel in the body (often in the leg). It then travels to a lung artery where it suddenly blocks blood flow.)

Kali Muscle also had a heart attack a few days ago, but he feels better now.

Flex Wheeler, who is fully vaccinated (he mentions in his instagram post below) got covid and is recovering in the hospital. What if he still is on TRT doses or something and with time he might get more health complications?

"October 16, 2021

Still in the hospital. Covid non-respiratory symptoms are getting better. Body aches, fever, and migraines are starting to get less excruciating day by day.
-
A few days ago I did start to experience respiratory issues. I was put on oxygen (no breathing tube) and meds. The meds seem to be working and they have lowered the level of oxygen that I am on. I will be on these meds for at least another 11 days. The doctors did actually smile during my last chest films, they don’t normally give you a hint either way, so I’ll take it!
-
The scary: I am in acute kidney failure, so my INR stabilization is an issue right now. As you may know, I received a kidney transplant over a decade ago.
-
I am in that rare case of people that are immunocompromised, while also taking immunosuppressant drugs for my kidney. So, even though I’m fully vaccinated, I hit that sweet spot that put me in danger for this virus. Covid really is he worst thing that I’ve ever gone through.
-
I do need to thank all my family and close friends that have been checking in on me. @jake_wood_media and @wingsofstrength thank you for everything. So sorry I missed out on the biggest show of the year! @davebautista thank you for the kind words of support in your video!
-
I will beat this!"

Where I am going with, with all this is: what if there is a correlation with the spike in heart attack deaths in IFBB, with bodybuilders that we all know take steroids?
What most of them if not all have also in common is that they are personal trainers, working in a gym, and that got me thinking maybe most of them did get the vaccine, because of the mandate or maybe it was their choice.

Anyways, I hope I am wrong as shit, and nothing else happens to any other bodybuilder for a long time, vaccinated or not.

More on the blood clots and vaccines from CDC:

Reactions: TalkAdmin
underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Hey Joe, I am asking you because maybe you could get this info, but do you know if Shawn was fully vaccinated with the covid vaccine?

The reason I am asking this is because I find it strange that this year alone, 2021, which happens to be the first year of the vaccine mandate etc etc, a lot of young bodybuilders have died of heart attack.

There was a female bb'er that died at 28, George Peterson at 37, Shawn at 46, John Meadows (cause of death - pulmonary embolism: A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot that develops in a blood vessel in the body (often in the leg). It then travels to a lung artery where it suddenly blocks blood flow.)

Kali Muscle also had a heart attack a few days ago, but he feels better now.

Flex Wheeler, who is fully vaccinated (he mentions in his instagram post below) got covid and is recovering in the hospital. What if he still is on TRT doses or something and with time he might get more health complications?

"October 16, 2021

Still in the hospital. Covid non-respiratory symptoms are getting better. Body aches, fever, and migraines are starting to get less excruciating day by day.
-
A few days ago I did start to experience respiratory issues. I was put on oxygen (no breathing tube) and meds. The meds seem to be working and they have lowered the level of oxygen that I am on. I will be on these meds for at least another 11 days. The doctors did actually smile during my last chest films, they don’t normally give you a hint either way, so I’ll take it!
-
The scary: I am in acute kidney failure, so my INR stabilization is an issue right now. As you may know, I received a kidney transplant over a decade ago.
-
I am in that rare case of people that are immunocompromised, while also taking immunosuppressant drugs for my kidney. So, even though I’m fully vaccinated, I hit that sweet spot that put me in danger for this virus. Covid really is he worst thing that I’ve ever gone through.
-
I do need to thank all my family and close friends that have been checking in on me. @jake_wood_media and @wingsofstrength thank you for everything. So sorry I missed out on the biggest show of the year! @davebautista thank you for the kind words of support in your video!
-
I will beat this!"

Where I am going with, with all this is: what if there is a correlation with the spike in heart attack deaths in IFBB, with bodybuilders that we all know take steroids?
What most of them if not all have also in common is that they are personal trainers, working in a gym, and that got me thinking maybe most of them did get the vaccine, because of the mandate or maybe it was their choice.

Anyways, I hope I am wrong as shit, and nothing else happens to any other bodybuilder for a long time, vaccinated or not.

More on the blood clots and vaccines from CDC:
Just an fyi bro.

I haven't read the entire thing yet.

What I have read though was these kinds of problems happen from 6 to 14 days after getting vaccinated and it's very rare, like a couple people out of hundreds of thousands. It's possible though man.

#TTS is a rare, clinically serious and potentially life-threatening condition; current evidence
suggests a plausible causal association with the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
 Symptom onset appears to occur from several days after vaccination to up to 2 weeks,
with most cases having symptom onset around 1–2 weeks after vaccination
 Most cases are in women, with most aged 18-49 years old
 The clinical features of TTS following Janssen COVID-19 vaccination appear similar to what
is being observed following AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccination in Europe
 It is important to recognize TTS early and initiate appropriate treatment
‒ Do not treat cases of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia with heparin unless heparin-PF4
ELISA HIT antibody testing is negative
 TTS does not appear to be associated with mRNA COVID-19 vaccines
 The U.S. vaccine safety monitoring system is able to rapidly detect rare adverse events
following vaccination and quickly assess safety signals
 CDC is committed to open and transparent communication of vaccine safety information

Last edited:
TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Reactions: underbody
underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks bro!

I'm planning on doing a Shawn Rhoden tribute video and post too.

i will be happy to post your video on my web site and my fb page too!

:)