• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Hello. My fat Loss goals. But also where do I stand?

W

William Payne

Hello

I am 35 years old.

I have casually lifted weight in a minor way for a few years now and have always had very physical jobs. A couple of years ago I hurt my spine and I had to go through a lot of rehabilitation which made me look a little bit more seriously at bodybuilding because the doctors were all telling me to lose body fat to take weight off of my spine and build muscle strength to be strong so that I can support my frame and take a load off my spine.

I joined a gym a month or more ago to get access to their cardio equipment, once I saw what they had for weights I was hooked and now I am there every second day working out. In fact yesterday was leg day.

Here is where I am confused. My motivation is to just get to 10-15% body fat and to build overall muscle strength and develop a nice strong physique. It’s a personal challenge for myself.

I look at more serious and pro bodybuilders to see how they started and many whether short or tall were little guys. Thin without any mass when they started.

I am 5 foot 6 and 270 pounds without barely doing anything. I may be short but I’ve always been the big guy. Always had wide shoulders, big chest, big thighs, big calves, prominent traps without doing anything besides being a fat ass.

What do I have to do differently than the more common little guys who are getting into bodybuilding?

To add I have also got very serious about diet and nutrition. Maintaining a low calorie, low fat diet and staying within a deficit.

From a mental perspective I am not worrying about weight and focusing on my appearance, how I feel and my body fat percentage.

Here is me from a year ago. I am definitely fat and overweight but I have never been rolls on rolls Michelin man fat. More stocky big frame type fat.

Me a while back

Reactions: BigHulk and KaiGold
KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good to meet you. Keep going! Keep lifting and eat low fat and high protein.

Reactions: BigHulk
W

William Payne

Good to meet you. Keep going! Keep lifting and eat low fat and high protein.

That’s the plan. Dieting and nutrition has been a pleasant experience. It’s all I food I love and ate anyway with a few minimally noticeable changes.

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Welcome to Mecca William. My opinion your focus should be on getting a clean diet dialed in and cardio, cardio, cardio. Continue to lift lighter weights with high reps to help increase fat burning. When you get your body fat down then you should change it up.

Keep in mind that I will not happen over night. Be patient and be consistent.

Set a goal
Make a plan
Stick to the plan
Reach the goal

I am using the MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Mobile App!

W

William Payne

Welcome to Mecca William. My opinion your focus should be on getting a clean diet dialed in and cardio, cardio, cardio. Continue to lift lighter weights with high reps to help increase fat burning. When you get your body fat down then you should change it up.

Keep in mind that I will not happen over night. Be patient and be consistent.

Set a goal
Make a plan
Stick to the plan
Reach the goal

I am loving the discipline of the diet and nutrition side of things. It helps that it’s food I already ate and liked but it’s nice to mess around with my favourite rice meals in different more specific ways.

Definitely not a 5 minute journey.

W

William Payne

On the topic I go to the gym 4 days a week. I have a cardio day, an upper body day, and a leg day. The leg day really helps my cardio. My cardio days are all treadmill I walk at a steady good pace that I can handle and I just as ability allows increase the incline. I can do that for a good 90 minutes. I also have jumped in with the ladies some days in the gym doing cardio group classes. Those women go hard. I am done after those work outs.

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would focus on cardio at least 4 days a week if you are physically able to. An hour a day and then 30-45 minutes of your lifting. You’ll be a beast if you get the BF down.

W

William Payne

I have often wondered why I am as big as I am while so short. Yeah my diet wasn’t great for many years but one factor I think is my dad was taller and bigger than me. A big bear of a man. My mum used to say that hugging him your hands won’t meet on the other side. My mum though is only 4 foot 11 and she is very small, very petite women.

I’ll try my best to work what I have to the best I can make it.

Reactions: BigHulk, KaiGold and Push50
Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Genetics! They can be great sometimes and some times not so great. I’m 6’6” as well but have a difficult time getting over #180. Of course at 57 I can’t eat like I use to so I just do what I can with what God gave me and I’m happy with that. I can cut BF quickly so that’s good.
You will get there brother you just have to be patient and consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
William,
If you post your demographics I’ll help you get on track with your diet. At least so that you can drop a pound or two a week. That’s a good start.
What I need:
Weight

Body fat if you know it. If not we can get a good number by doing the old military tape test. So to do this I need in addition to the above, circumference of:
Neck- just below the larynx
Waist- just below the belly button.

The we can determine your daily required intake of calories and balance your macros for weight loss.
I am not a trainer and I do this strictly to help guys that are serious about it to reach their goals.

Also please list a typical days meals and snacks for me.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
W

William Payne

Genetics! They can be great sometimes and some times not so great. I’m 6’6” as well but have a difficult time getting over #180. Of course at 57 I can’t eat like I use to so I just do what I can with what God gave me and I’m happy with that. I can cut BF quickly so that’s good.
You will get there brother you just have to be patient and consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are 6'6"? I am 5'6'' wow you are a whole foot taller, what is it like up there?

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You are 6'6"? I am 5'6'' wow you are a whole foot taller, what is it like up there?

Typo brother. I’m 5’6”

W

William Payne

Typo brother. I’m 5’6”

Haha no worries. I’ll share my diet and things later. Bit busy today.

W

William Payne

My diet right now is to maintain me in a deficit. So I get up and I have a bowl of cereal comprised of oats, nuts, raisins, banana. That is eaten with the lowest fat milk I could find. Lunch time I have a whey protein shake. If I really want something to eat at lunch I may have a roast potato or two. At dinner I have a cup of rice with diced capsicum/red bell pepper with either chicken or venison, I swap the meat every day to change things up.

If I need to snack I may have some nuts or a couple of slices of toast with an olive oil spread and marmite (a local favourite spread made from yeast extract). Or I may have a hard boiled egg.

If I ever “cheat” it balances it out as I count the calories and portions of everything. So say I ever have a random bag of potato chips I will find I’m not hungry after so I skip a meal and stay within my deficit.

It takes a lot of effort but I really enjoy the food I eat so I am still enjoying my meals.

Reactions: BigHulk, ArnoldS and KaiGold
W

William Payne

On average I am eating about 1800 calories a day.

Reactions: BigHulk, ArnoldS and KaiGold
Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
On average I am eating about 1800 calories a day.

Based on what information I have, your BMR (basal metabolic rate), what your body needs when at rest just to maintain is around 2000 calories.
At 1800 calories you will drop weight but the body will be indiscriminate about what it burs and will burn fat and muscle to make up the deficit.

Your current RDI(required daily intake) to maintain current weight is around 3800 calories. Even dropping this by 500 calories a day you should lose 1-2 lbs a week. At a basic 2000 calorie diet I would expect you to lose 5+ a week but you may still lose muscle as well.

When I want to cut body fat and I’m around 170 I run about 1800 calories a day and can drop 1-2 lbs a week of fat by balancing my macros and counting calories.

Do you understand what “Macros “ are? Your diet is about more than just cutting calories.

Reactions: BigHulk and ArnoldS
W

William Payne

Do you understand what “Macros “ are? Your diet is about more than just cutting calories.

I am starting to learn about macros and how to apply it. My mindset is one of constant improvement so I am always looking at where I can learn and improve.

For example when I started a month ago it was all about hitting a calorie level. Now that I’m getting better at that I’m trying to educate myself better on breaking that further down into looking at things like fats, carbs, and so on.

I like science, so I am finding it all very interesting and enjoy learning about the details of nutrition.

I do consider myself lucky that I am finding the process as motivating as the destination. I don’t have delusions that I am going to get huge results in 5 minutes.

Ever gym session for example whether it be cardio or weights I look for ways to do better. A little more incline, better form, a little more weight, more effective reps, better hydration.

Reactions: BigHulk and ArnoldS
Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You’re on the right track brother. If you need some help just let me know. You can post here or DM me. I want to see you reach your goal and follow your journey.

Reactions: BigHulk, KaiGold and ArnoldS
W

William Payne

You’re on the right track brother. If you need some help just let me know. You can post here or DM me. I want to see you reach your goal and follow your journey.

I really appreciate that. I will absolutely post with my progress.

Reactions: BigHulk, Push50, KaiGold and 1 other person