• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How to build that chest?

SirTeddy

SirTeddy

I've never done anything else than presses and my chest has grown very well. My routine:
Incline db press, three sets of 5-8 reps
Floor press, three sets of 8-10 reps
I finish my workout by stretching my pecs with dumbbels (like doing flyes without the actual movement).
I also do dips on my triceps-day and I believe that they've also helped me to gain pec mass.
:tiphat:

D

DIPLOMAT007

just curious why when i read about most workoutrs in like flex there workouts are like 5 exercises but most of you guys only do 3 ?

SirTeddy

SirTeddy

just curious why when i read about most workoutrs in like flex there workouts are like 5 exercises but most of you guys only do 3 ?

Flex also says you won't grow without Dat Dere Cell-Tech. You really don't need the marathon workouts Fles tries to offer. Couple good movements are enough if you take the most of them. :tiphat:

L

lorri_01

i do presses then few sets of flyes at the end, n if your gna do flyes make sure there incline, i find not enough people have got the size n seperation in the middle of there upper chest :)

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't know why everyone's hating on flyes. I think they work well to pre-exhaust the chest before the actual work begins. Everyone's different, but for me it's more of a stretch then a building movement. Also, I've had a lot of upper-body injuries so they allow for each user to alter the movement to suit their needs.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
for chest:

flat bench
incline bench
dips

thats it. flyes are not needed imo, i got the most progress when i dropped em for more presses.

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i do chest twice a week,

chest day1

Incline bench
Incline DB presses
Pullovers

Chestday2
Flat bench
Flat DB presses
Machine flys

thats how im doing it now, i hadf to switch it up, like most of you have told me on my log i was doing too much and wasnt growing and you guys were right i started low volume and i have grown alot honestly and eating right of course

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
A lot of people are hating on flyes. But imo there a great chest builder, they built up my chest from day one and i feel like i got a droopy look to them which ive wanted since i seen Arnolds chest. I think you should stick to the basics, no machines. just barbells and dumbbells. My chest workout looks like this;

1) Flat barbell press
2) Incline barbell press
3) Flat dumbbell flyes
4) Dumbbell pullovers

Hitting the chest from all angles...

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i warm up with incline every cherst day get in a least 3-4 sets of 15, cause my upper chest sucks im working on it

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
People are really over analyzing a chest routine.

Decline is not necessary. If you check the EMG readings, the lower fiberal portion of the chest is further recruited during a flat press. Accuracy may not be exact but it's a pinpoint.

I can see why people aren't really favoring flys. A single joint exercise, if there's a strong load placed on the ant. delts then you're doing them wrong.

However, instead of naming an exercise useless, which very few are, I think a good name for flys, crossovers, etc. is active recovery. Definitely not the strongest traumatic muscle exercise.

So that leaves us with 3 movements; Flat, incline and an active recovery. Just up the volume (by this I mean sets). 5-6/multi-joint compound and 4 for the active recovery.

Just a suggestion of a way it could be thought about.

A lot of people are hating on flyes. But imo there a great chest builder, they built up my chest from day one and i feel like i got a droopy look to them which ive wanted since i seen Arnolds chest. I think you should stick to the basics, no machines. just barbells and dumbbells. My chest workout looks like this;

I know how you feel bro, I've always liked them in my routine as well.

In addition, I don't really see where pullovers lye on a chest day. I always felt the most out of them in my lats and triceps...not so much my chest.

i warm up with incline every cherst day get in a least 3-4 sets of 15, cause my upper chest sucks im working on it

I'd say 15 reps is only increasing muscle endurance.

Place incline in the beginning of your routine, and go heavy. Doing this allows you to have maximum power output towards your clav head (upper chest). Which is the point.

Hope this helps!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
In addition, I don't really see where pullovers lye on a chest day. I always felt the most out of them in my lats and triceps...not so much my chest.

Well i do really like the way it feels on my rib cage, it does feel like it does stretch it a lil, not sure if there is any scientific research of this being true but i'm going by instinct. Having said that, i do feel them in my chest at the top of the movement because i make sure i put special emphasis on the peak contraction which i feel hits the upper region. Also my serratus and abs get worked in the process too.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well i do really like the way it feels on my rib cage, it does feel like it does stretch it a lil, not sure if there is any scientific research of this being true but i'm going by instinct. Having said that, i do feel them in my chest at the top of the movement because i make sure i put special emphasis on the peak contraction which i feel hits the upper region. Also my serratus and abs get worked in the process too.

I'm speaking as far instinct as well :xyxthumbs: I really never tried them much. I just felt the exercise was so out natured. That's me though.

Abs are so easy to overload. 1 day of deadlifts and my abs are fatigued.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
^^Haha yeh they are, i feel them when i do tricep pressdowns as well!

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd say 15 reps is only increasing muscle endurance.

Place incline in the beginning of your routine, and go heavy. Doing this allows you to have maximum power output towards your clav head (upper chest). Which is the point.

Hope this helps!

its only on my non upper chest days, i dont think i said that right? i think i said i do it every chest day sorry bout that, i get a nice pump tho, i do it super slow it feels great

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
its only on my non upper chest days, i dont think i said that right? i think i said i do it every chest day sorry bout that, i get a nice pump tho, i do it super slow it feels great

haha it's cool man, just trying to help :xyxthumbs:

EDIT: It's like comming, eh?

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
its like i already came and im going again and again and again.

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
dude i am a walking boner:gaygay:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'll state why flys are crappy.

They are a low loading exercise that places all the insertions and joints involved in the movement under unnecessary load which leads to injury. This is primarily because the recruitment patterns of the chest fly have a slight delay before the pec is in it's position of strength. So all of the bicep, deltoid, and pectorial insertions (that deep burn you get in the centre of your chest at the sternum is actually tendon trying to pull off the bone) are being compromised, the shoulder capsule itself is therefore under a lot of stress, all leading to structural problems.

Now that isn't to say that flys will kill you and rape your children, but given they are doing damage at such a low loading (thus little growth potential) you would question why you would do them at all. The only real place for them in a workout is as an activation exercise done at low loading. Most people do them post exercise where they probably have the least value other than as a pump exercise. Either way neither option should be anything other than a very occassional use.

Another point is that DB flys for chest are the worst offender. All the load is happening when it is doing the most damage, and none when you need the most loading. Do cable flys if at all.