• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Most underrated protein/carb/fat sources?

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok, milk is also a must in my diet. But could you explain exactly WHY it must be a must? Tnx, mate.

1. Milk causes a ton of insulin to be relases.. i think the insulin index for milk is very high.. insulin = #1 most important hormone for growth.. dont get this confused with the glycemic index as milk is low on that chart, now sure why its like this but the insulin index is high.. either way.. that's one of the reasons why its a must for off-season for me..

2. its complete with protein/carbohydrates/fat.. so it has all the macros you need for growth.. i would never exclusively rely on milk for your main source for any of these macros but it certainly is a great addition to a diet..

3. also.. the protein in milk is 80% whey and 20% casein, so its a very very good source of protein.. it does not have a ton of protein per serving but it sure does add to your protein shake and also makes protein shakes taste a hell of a lot better!! :)

4. great and easy way to help add those extra calories to your diet in order to achieve more mass.. we all know how hard that can be at times.. forcing down food is not fun.. but do some cardio and you'll find that downing a tall glass of milk right after is not that hard at all.. and also quenches thirst..

I JUST LOVE MILK!! *skim is my preferred choice*

studied have even shown that calcium enriched milk giving to overweight people @ 3 servings a day helped greatly decrease their belly fat.. so who knows.. maybe its even good for fat loss.. but i doubt it.. if your dieting i would stay away from all dairy.. its debatable on whether you can eat cottage cheese while dieting, i have seen guys get ripped while dieting on cottage cheese and some look flat and watery.. so i guess it depends largely on the rest of the diet and the persons genetic make up..

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1. Milk causes a ton of insulin to be relases.. i think the insulin index for milk is very high.. insulin = #1 most important hormone for growth.. dont get this confused with the glycemic index as milk is low on that chart, now sure why its like this but the insulin index is high.. either way.. that's one of the reasons why its a must for off-season for me..

2. its complete with protein/carbohydrates/fat.. so it has all the macros you need for growth.. i would never exclusively rely on milk for your main source for any of these macros but it certainly is a great addition to a diet..

3. also.. the protein in milk is 80% whey and 20% casein, so its a very very good source of protein.. it does not have a ton of protein per serving but it sure does add to your protein shake and also makes protein shakes taste a hell of a lot better!! :)

4. great and easy way to help add those extra calories to your diet in order to achieve more mass.. we all know how hard that can be at times.. forcing down food is not fun.. but do some cardio and you'll find that downing a tall glass of milk right after is not that hard at all.. and also quenches thirst..

I JUST LOVE MILK!! *skim is my preferred choice*

studied have even shown that calcium enriched milk giving to overweight people @ 3 servings a day helped greatly decrease their belly fat.. so who knows.. maybe its even good for fat loss.. but i doubt it.. if your dieting i would stay away from all dairy.. its debatable on whether you can eat cottage cheese while dieting, i have seen guys get ripped while dieting on cottage cheese and some look flat and watery.. so i guess it depends largely on the rest of the diet and the persons genetic make up..

Tnx a lot for your post.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I thought I read somewhere that we lack the enzymes to break down cow's milk (dairy in general)? Any truth to this? We are the only species that drinks another species milk...

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
eh not really. Cows milk is fat protein and carbohydrates, all things man has the ability to break down. People who are lactose intolerant are unable to break down milk sugars and as a result get diarrhea or throw up, but the majority will do just fine with milk. I have read a lot of studies showing milk products being eaten by children being a possible cause of type 2 diabetes but that is in children and we can not automatically carry those same thoughts over to adults.

I prefer nutritionally milk unprocessed for the same reason i like raw vegetables, the enzymes are still present, but that may be a bit risky considering the environment milk is gathered from, ie cows living very close together and shitting all over is what i mean. For the sake of gram negative bacteria its probably better pasteurized.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Milk

It's the progenitor of all other dairy products (and of our crucially important whey and casein proteins), and nothing tastes as good with cookies, but is there any real reason to drink milk? Absolutely. Here are four.

->>Muscle Booster - A 2006 study from the university of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston) confirms that drinking about 1 cup of milk after a weight workout boosts protein synthesis - the mechanism responsible for muscle growth. Since the researchers didn't compare it to other forms of protein, such as pure whey, it's hard to say how well milk alone boosts muscle growth after training. That's why we recommend milk postworkout just to mix your whey in, or when it's your only option.

Milk also contains other compounds that boost muscle growth. Cow's milk contains everything that baby cows need to grow up big and strong, so it makes sense that those ingredients would also contribute to your mass. One such element is insulinlike growth factor-1 (IGF-1), an anabolic compound critical for stimulating muscle growth. A study published in 2004 in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that subjects who drank milk had significantly higher IGF-1 levels than those who ate the same amount of protein in steak form.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
->> Better Hydration. After a workout, what do you grab? A protein shake, sure. Maybe an energy drink? One of those fancy functional waters? Turns out you may want to consider drinking some milk, at least after a long workout on a hot day.

In a study published in the July 2007 issue of the British Journal of Nutrition, subjects were dehydrated through exercise and then given one of the following; water, a sports drink, reduced-fat milk or reduced-fat milk with added sodium. Researchers found that the subjects who drank milk (either with or without the sodium boost) were better hydrated than those who drank water or sports drink. Scientists hypothesize that the sodium and potassium naturally present in milk are responsible for rehydration.

While we don't advise using milk alone after workouts, you can mix your usual postworkout whey protein with fat-free milk (you don't want fat to interfere with protein absorption) after particularly long training sessions in the heat.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
->>More Muscle-Building. Rehydration isn't the only reason to drink milk after a workout. A new study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition had untrained subjects drink fat-free milk, a soy protein drink or a carbohydrate drink after training with weights. After 12 weeks, the milk group gained 40% more muscle than the soy group and 60% more muscle than the carb-drink group. The milk drinkers also dropped an average of 2 pounds of bodyfat.

->>Go Organic. It's easy to get disenchated with all the hoopla surrounding organic food. Ignore the hippies and the hype for one minute and think about this: In a study published back in 1999 in the Journal of Dairy Science, scientists found that cows that ate only grass produced milk containing 500% more CLA than cows that were fed a standard dairy fairm diet. This is important because CLA is strongly linked with cancer prevention - and with boosting muscle gains and spot-reducing those pesky fat deposits on your abs.

A 2006 study by British scientists reported that organic milk had almost 70% more omega-3 fatty acids than conventional milk, which supported a similar study done in 2004 at the University of Aberdeen (UK). This is good news since omega-3's also help burn more fat and encourage muscle growth, as well as provide a host of health benefits. To be considered organic, milk must come from cows that are allowed access to pasture, which is why we recommend you spend a few extra dimes and go organic.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ nice posts! bought some milk today!

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
very nice post Flex!!

just a question for anyone out there who knows.. why is Palumbo so against milk? he claims that drinking milk is completely useless and basically that they are "empty calories" maybe im wrong but im pretty sure he made this statement before.. i happen to clearly disagree with him because when i was really BROKE a couple years ago and could not afford much food i survived on a couple cans of tuna a day some whole wheat bread and milk and i still made gains in the gym.. so FU Palumbo LOL

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
very nice post Flex!!

just a question for anyone out there who knows.. why is Palumbo so against milk? he claims that drinking milk is completely useless and basically that they are "empty calories" maybe im wrong but im pretty sure he made this statement before.. i happen to clearly disagree with him because when i was really BROKE a couple years ago and could not afford much food i survived on a couple cans of tuna a day some whole wheat bread and milk and i still made gains in the gym.. so FU Palumbo LOL
Maybe he was referring to dieting? It's certainly not the most filling protein source, so you're likely to drink too much.

Soda is empty calories, not milk.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree milk is great money wise and nutritionally. Just a few things, protein synthesis increases any time dietary protein is introduced into the body, and IGF-1 would not do much of anything if taken orally. Stomach acid would make sure of that, i would be very surprised if the IGF-1 in cows milk did not experience hydrolysis in the stomach. But Flex is right milk is a big :thumbsup2: for the nutrition alone especially the calcium PWO.

J

jornT

I agree milk is great money wise and nutritionally. Just a few things, protein synthesis increases any time dietary protein is introduced into the body, and IGF-1 would not do much of anything if taken orally. Stomach acid would make sure of that, i would be very surprised if the IGF-1 in cows milk did not experience hydrolysis in the stomach. But Flex is right milk is a big :thumbsup2: for the nutrition alone especially the calcium PWO.

First off Ben, I'm not out to flame you like I used to. Having said that, your approch to nutrition is still flawed. You presume to many things.

Milk has been shown to raise plasma IGF-1 in humans. Even if you do not know this, this is something you can look up within seconds, you should not do guess work.

I'm also supprised you talk about stomach acid. According to you (atleast a year ago), the enzymes from raw vegetables will be oxidized before they can be identified and therefore there is no data supporting them. What makes you think something so fragile could survive the harsh environment of the GI tract?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First off Ben, I'm not out to flame you like I used to. Having said that, your approch to nutrition is still flawed. You presume to many things.

Milk has been shown to raise plasma IGF-1 in humans. Even if you do not know this, this is something you can look up within seconds, you should not do guess work.

I'm also supprised you talk about stomach acid. According to you (atleast a year ago), the enzymes from raw vegetables will be oxidized before they can be identified and therefore there is no data supporting them. What makes you think something so fragile could survive the harsh environment of the GI tract?
I am assuming that my presumption is that IGF-1 is a component of cows milk. Is that what you are referring to when you say I am making a presumption?

If so:

"Cow's milk contains everything that baby cows need to grow up big and strong, so it makes sense that those ingredients would also contribute to your mass. One such element is insulin like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), an anabolic compound critical for stimulating muscle growth."

Cows milk contains everything a baby cow need to grow. One such element, meaning an element contained in the cows milk, is IGF-1. How did i jump to a conclusion? IGF-1 is being referred to as a component of the milk not what effect the milk has on plasma IGF-1 levels. And i am not suggesting that milk has no effect on plasma IGF-1 levels. That's how it was written in the initial post, I did not jump to any conclusion. You might have misread or misunderstood what I was referring to in my response to the initial post.

As far as the enzymes are concerned a lot changes in a years time.

If thats not what your were referring to then please clarify so we can have a discussion, I would be interested in learning something you have to offer. I have no problem being shown i am wrong, if in fact I am wrong. I welcome your criticism it will only help me learn more outside of what i have already learned from my food science curriculum.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
milk is so yummy it's rediculous..I sometimes drink milk with every meal of the day. I like skim, and -100000 below 0. lol

J

jornT

Flex posted that people who drink milk have higher IGF-1.

You posted that IGF-1 in milk gets destroyed in the stomach. This is corrected, BUT, not a logical point to make. Milk still raises plasma IGF-1, so your addition that the IGF-1 in milk gets destroyed in the stomach doesn't add anything, except possible confusion for people who might think that you're trying to say that milk ingestion does not raise IGF-1. See my problem with it?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
->>Go Organic. It's easy to get disenchated with all the hoopla surrounding organic food. Ignore the hippies and the hype for one minute and think about this: In a study published back in 1999 in the Journal of Dairy Science, scientists found that cows that ate only grass produced milk containing 500% more CLA than cows that were fed a standard dairy fairm diet. This is important because CLA is strongly linked with cancer prevention - and with boosting muscle gains and spot-reducing those pesky fat deposits on your abs.
I'm just going to point out that this is rubbish.

Cows eating grass has nothing to do with organic agriculture. This is nothing more than spin by the organics people because they got proven to be charletans recently.
A 2006 study by British scientists reported that organic milk had almost 70% more omega-3 fatty acids than conventional milk, which supported a similar study done in 2004 at the University of Aberdeen (UK). This is good news since omega-3's also help burn more fat and encourage muscle growth, as well as provide a host of health benefits. To be considered organic, milk must come from cows that are allowed access to pasture, which is why we recommend you spend a few extra dimes and go organic.

That "to be considered organic" statement is just about a flat out lie (can't be definite as it depends under what certification). Organic milk has little to do with a cows access to grass, or the implied lack of said same in conventional ag. Organic is to do with the use of herbicides, pesticides and chemical fertilisers.

Conventional dairy and cattle production has been shown to be superior to organic, both from a gross production, animal health and efficiency standpoint. There is no difference in the actual nutritional value of the meat or milk!!!

Addressing this specific finding: They were comparing cows who ate grass with those that don't. They were not comparing organic and conventional ag, that is subversion. Grass fed is superior. I haven't seen any data on cows fed on a silage/hay ration, which a large proportion of the industry does (especially in the colder areas of America where they have to shed the animals most of the year). At a guess I'd say it would be slightly inferior to grass fed due to the difference in feed quality compared with fresh grass.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Flex posted that people who drink milk have higher IGF-1.

You posted that IGF-1 in milk gets destroyed in the stomach. This is corrected, BUT, not a logical point to make. Milk still raises plasma IGF-1, so your addition that the IGF-1 in milk gets destroyed in the stomach doesn't add anything, except possible confusion for people who might think that you're trying to say that milk ingestion does not raise IGF-1. See my problem with it?

No, Flex posted that milk has ingredients iin it that are muscle building, one of which is IGF-1. The initial post makes the point that IGF-1, as an ingredient in milk, is a muscle building factor. That is how it is stated. The action of IGF-1 in a persons blood plasma can not be from the IGF-1 in the milk, there has to be some other mechanism of action b/c IGF-1 would not pass the stomach without experiencing hydrolysis. I made no other comments about it effecting blood plasma levels of IGF-1. My point is valid. If the idea of reading the article is to learn a truth then why would we let people assume something incorrect by how the article is worded.

Milk raises IGF-1 levels in blood plasma. Ok fine, but it is not b/c IGF-1 is present in the milk and makes it through digestion without experiencing hydrolysis then passes the liver again unchanged, and then makes it into the blood, no. Lets get the facts with correct reasoning instead of just the facts with wording that leads to faulty assumptions. That would bring us to an even higher understanding and also make us more knowledgeable, and that is the idea.

J

jornT

No, Flex posted that milk has ingredients iin it that are muscle building, one of which is IGF-1. The initial post makes the point that IGF-1, as an ingredient in milk, is a muscle building factor. That is how it is stated.

This is what he said:

A study published in 2004 in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that subjects who drank milk had significantly higher IGF-1 levels than those who ate the same amount of protein in steak form.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is the part that made it confusing.

Flex said:
Milk also contains other compounds that boost muscle growth. Cow's milk contains everything that baby cows need to grow up big and strong, so it makes sense that those ingredients would also contribute to your mass. One such element is insulinlike growth factor-1 (IGF-1), an anabolic compound critical for stimulating muscle growth. A study published in 2004 in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that subjects who drank milk had significantly higher IGF-1 levels than those who ate the same amount of protein in steak form.