• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

My SuperPump 250 review

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lets look at the individual ingredients and whether they are any good:
L-Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate
Nutrition. 2006 Sep;22(9):872-81.
Pharmacokinetics, safety, and effects on exercise performance of L-arginine alpha-ketoglutarate in trained adult men.
Campbell B, Roberts M, Kerksick C, Wilborn C, Marcello B, Taylor L, Nassar E, Leutholtz B, Bowden R, Rasmussen C, Greenwood M, Kreider R.

OBJECTIVE: We evaluated the pharmacokinetics, safety, and efficacy of l-arginine alpha-ketoglutarate (AAKG) in trained adult men. METHODS: Subjects participated in two studies that employed a randomized, double-blind, controlled design. In study 1, 10 healthy men (30-50 y old) fasted for 8 h and then ingested 4 g of time-released or non-timed-released AAKG. Blood samples were taken for 8 h after AAKG ingestion to assess the pharmacokinetic profile of L-arginine. After 1 wk the alternative supplement was ingested. In study 2, which was placebo controlled, 35 resistance-trained adult men (30-50 y old) were randomly assigned to ingest 4 g of AAKG (three times a day, i.e., 12 g daily, n = 20) or placebo (n = 15). Participants performed 4 d of periodized resistance training per week for 8 wk. At 0, 4, and 8 wk of supplementation the following tests were performed: clinical blood markers, one repetition maximum bench press, isokinetic quadriceps muscle endurance, anaerobic power, aerobic capacity, total body water, body composition, and psychometric parameters tests. Data were analyzed by repeated measures analysis of variance. RESULTS: In study 1, significant differences were observed in plasma arginine levels in subjects taking non-timed-release and timed-release AAKG. In study 2, significant differences were observed in the AAKG group (P < 0.05) for 1RM bench press, Wingate peak power, blood glucose, and plasma arginine. No significant differences were observed between groups in body composition, total body water, isokinetic quadriceps muscle endurance, or aerobic capacity. CONCLUSION: AAKG supplementation appeared to be safe and well tolerated, and positively influenced 1RM bench press and Wingate peak power performance. AAKG did not influence body composition or aerobic capacity.
Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care:
January 2007 - Volume 10 - Issue 1 - p 46-51
Effects of L-arginine supplementation on exercise metabolism
McConell, Glenn K

Abstract
Purpose of review: To describe the influence of acute and chronic administration of L-arginine on metabolism at rest and during exercise.
Recent findings: There has been substantial examination of the effect of infusion and ingestion of L-arginine at rest. It has been clearly demonstrated that L-arginine administration improves endothelial function in various disease states. In addition, L-arginine infusion at rest increases plasma insulin, growth hormone, glucagon, catecholamines and prolactin. Such hormonal changes affect metabolism. There has, however, been very little examination of the effect of increases in L-arginine availability during exercise. This is important to study as there is preliminary evidence that L-arginine infusion, probably via increases in nitric oxide (NO), alters skeletal-muscle metabolism during exercise. There is a need for further research, especially to understand the mechanisms of how L-arginine affects exercise metabolism and also to determine whether the hormonal responses that occur in response to L-arginine at rest are also present to some extent during exercise.
Summary: This line of research may have important therapeutic implications as there are indications that L-arginine augments the effects of exercise training on insulin sensitivity and capillary growth in muscles.
Well L-arginine sound like a winner to me.

L-Arginine Ketoisocaproate or GAKIC to us MuscleTech fans
The effects of short-term alpha-ketoisocaproic acid supplementation on exercise performance: a randomized controlled trial
Joshua F Yarrow, 1,2 Jeffrey J Parr,1 Lesley J White,1 Paul A Borsa,1 and Bruce R Stevens3

Background
This study examined the efficacy of short-term alpha-ketoisocaproic acid (KIC) monotherapy supplementation immediately prior to moderate- and high-intensity single bout exercise performance.
Methods
Thirteen resistance trained men (22.8 ± 2.5 years; 81.6 ± 12.6 kg) participated in a prospective, randomized, double blind, placebo controlled crossover experiment. Each subject completed one familiarization and four experimental trials with either 1.5 g or 9.0 g of either KIC or isocaloric placebo control (CONT), following an overnight fast. During the experimental trials, subjects consumed the supplement regimen and then completed leg and chest press repetitions to failure and 30 s of repeated maximal vertical jumping (VJ) on a force plate.
Results
In this treatment regimen, no significant differences (p > 0.05) were observed between dosages or conditions for leg press (low CONT = 19.8 ± 0.4 SEM, low KIC = 21.0 ± 0.5, high CONT = 20.1 ± 0.3, high KIC = 22.4 ± 0.6) or chest press (low CONT = 18.1 ± 0.2, low KIC = 18.5 ± 0.3, high CONT = 17.8 ± 0.3, high KIC = 18.0 ± 0.3) repetitions to failure. Additionally, no significant differences were observed for peak or mean VJ performance (low CONT = 34.6 ± 2.2 cm and 28.6 ± 1.8 cm; low KIC = 35.6 ± 2.0 cm and 29.4 ± 1.6 cm; high CONT = 35.7 ± 2.1 cm and 29.4 ± 1.7 cm; high KIC = 34.8 ± 2.3 cm and 28.3 ± 1.7 cm), respectively.
Conclusion
Based on our results, we conclude that acute KIC ingestion by itself with no other ergogenic supplement, immediately prior to exercise, did not alter moderate- nor high-intensity single-bout exercise performance in young resistance-trained males. This study addressed single-dose single-bout performance events; the efficacy of KIC monotherapy supplementation on repeated high-intensity exercise bouts and long-term exercise training remains unknown.
Glycine-Arginine-[alpha]-Ketoisocaproic Acid Improves Performance of Repeated Cycling Sprints.
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 36(4):583-587, April 2004.
BUFORD, BRITNI N.; KOCH, ALEXANDER J.

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of glycine-arginine-[alpha]-ketoisocaproic acid (GAKIC) supplementation on repeated bouts of anaerobic cycling performance.
Methods: Ten men completed a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled exercise protocol of two sessions separated by 7 d. Plasma lactate was analyzed in blood collected 45 min before exercise (REST) and 5 min postexercise (POST). Subjects consumed either 11.2-g GAKIC or placebo (PLC) during a 45-min period between the REST and exercise. Mean power, peak power, and fatigue values were assessed from five supramaximal, 10-s cycle ergometer sprints, separated by 1-min rest intervals. Data were analyzed using repeated measures ANCOVA.
Results: A significant treatment x time interaction (P = 0.039) was observed for the change in mean power output over the five sprints between the GAKIC and PLC treatments. Post hoc analyses revealed a greater retention of mean power (P = 0.038) between sprints 1 and 2 after GAKIC (-1 +/- 9 W) versus PLC treatment (-47 +/- 18 W). No other performance variables differed between PLC and GAKIC. POST lactate was increased (P < 0.001) above REST, but there was no difference between treatments (P = 0.936).
Conclusion: These data support an ergogenic effect of GAKIC for attenuating the decline in mean power during repeated bouts of supramaximal exercise.
High-intensity dynamic human muscle performance enhanced by a metabolic intervention.
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 32(12):2102-2108, December 2000.
STEVENS, BRUCE R.; GODFREY, MICHAEL D.; KAMINSKI, THOMAS W.; BRAITH, and RANDY W.
Abstract:

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to quantify the effects of a metabolic treatment on human muscle dynamic performance (strength, work, and fatigue) measured under conditions of acute, exhaustive high-intensity anaerobic isokinetic exercise.
Methods: Unilateral prefatigue and postfatigue peak torque and work values were measured in the quadriceps femoris of 13 subjects using a computer-controlled isokinetic dynamometer, over a 23-d interval. The two experimental treatments were: 1) a glycine and L-arginine salt of [alpha]-ketoisocaproic acid calcium ("GAKIC"); and 2) isocaloric sucrose (control). Based on a randomized double-blind cross-over repeated measures design, measurements were made before and during an exhaustive anaerobic fatigue protocol to calculate a F atigue R esistance I ndex (FRI = [peri-exhaustion torque] / [baseline peak torque]), as well as total work.
Results: The FRI and total work for each of the exhaustion sets measured at 0, 5, and 15 min after oral GAKIC treatment were greater than values obtained for isocaloric control treatment (P < 0.02). GAKIC treatment increased the mean resistance to fatigue (FRI) up to 28% over isocaloric control. Overall gain in total muscle work attributable to GAKIC was 10.5 +/- 0.8% greater than control, sustained for at least 15 min. After 24 h, both GAKIC and control concentric forces returned to the same absolute values (P > 0.05): mean FRI = 0.42 +/- 0.05 and mean total work = 4600 +/- 280 J. There were no significant differences attributable to random order of testing.
Conclusions: Compared with isocaloric carbohydrate, oral GAKIC treatment increased muscle torque and work sustained during intense acute anaerobic dynamic exercise; additionally, it increased overall muscle performance by delaying muscle fatigue during the early phases of anaerobic dynamic exercise.
So GAKIC may live up to some of the hype.....:bitenails:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tri-Creatine Malate & Creatine Monohydrate:
I haven't been able to find much on these two. I think they must be brand new or something. I'll keep looking but I don't hold out great hopes.

Guanidino Propionic Acid – a creatine analogue

Effects of the creatine analogue beta-guanidinopropionic acid on skeletal muscles of mice deficient in muscle creatine kinase.
Author: van Deursen, J : Jap, P : Heerschap, A : ter Laak, H : Ruitenbeek, W : Wieringa, B
Citation: Biochim-Biophys-Acta. 1994 May 18; 1185(3): 327-35

Abstract: To evaluate the effects of phosphocreatine (PCr) and creatine (Cr) depletion on skeletal muscles of mice deficient in muscle creatine kinase (M-CK), we have fed mutant mice a diet containing the creatine analogue beta-guanidinopropionic acid (beta GPA). After 8-10 weeks of feeding, accumulation of the creatine analogue in M-CK-deficient muscles was comparable to that observed in muscles of wild-type mice. Strikingly, and unlike wild types, mutants did not accumulate phosphorylated beta GPA, indicating that MM-CK is the only muscle CK isoform which can phosphorylate beta GPA. In M-CK-deficient muscles there was respective depletion of PCr, Cr and ATP levels to 31, 41 and 83% of normal. The average cross-sectional area of type 2B fibres in gastrocnemius muscles was very much reduced and was similar to type 1 and type 2A fibres which maintained their normal size. The maximal isometric twitch force developed by gastrocnemius-plantaris-soleus (GPS) muscle complexes of beta GPA-treated mutants was reduced by about 30%, but these muscles showed an increased fatigue resistance during 1 and 5 Hz contraction. Mitochondrial enzyme activities in the upper hind limb musculature of null mutants were 20-35% increased by the beta GPA diet. Altogether, these results provide evidence that certain functions of the creatine kinase/phosphocreatine (CK/PCr) system are not eliminated solely by the loss of M-CK.

American Ginseng Extract
Apparently the jury is out on this. The evidence is completely contradictory and it is hard to find a decent study with decent methodology. This usually means that it is mostly harmless or mostly useless.

White Willow Bark Extract – think aspirin
Given how long this has been around I won't bother.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh but you are an unofficially sponsored MuscleTech athlete.

They clearly saw you after seeing Jay and Branch and decided that you needed a sponorship for when you do big things!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
SuperPump Day 4

It took 4 days.

It took twice the normal serving size.

It took a fair bit of convincing that I hadn't just blown $89.

Yes it finally happened! I actually noticed something that could be attributed to the SuperPump!

Leading into the workout I had been a bit tired from work and had to convince myself not to be a slack-arsed-bastard and actually train. I upped the dose to two scoops (~40g) and after about 20mins I started to notice a bit of a "buzz". I felt ready to roll, I felt like I wanted to train, I felt like I had energy. FINALLY! :shakefist:

Taste:
My taste buds hadn't died, the tang was overpowering once again. I think I will start eating grapefruit to warm my tongue up prior to downing this stuff in future. At least that way I can say that this doesn't taste as bad as grapefruit.

Aftertaste: I tried not to think about it. Failed miserably.

Effects: So as I've stated above, there was a buzz of energy that followed 20mins or so after ingestion. This caught me a little by surprise as I'd kinda written this stuff off after Day 2. Any previous energy that "seemed" to arise was clearly just placebo or my mental focus. This was different and very sudden.

The next thing was a Pump. Now this wasn't shirt tearing, skin pulsing swoleness (look 'ma I just made up a word), but it was noticable that mid-way through the workout that my upper body was full, especially my forearms and arms. By the end of the workout this was quite visually noticeable across my upper body.

Now the negatives: I'll start with the pump itself. The pump caused dizziness when overhead pressing and doing chinups, much like that felt when you have low blood pressure or blood pooling (this may be a leap of logic, but it seems to follow and be a fair assumption). This was not a good thing.

The next thing was the pump may or may not have caused some cramping in my calves as I was pressing (overhead and close grip). This was painful and dangerous as well as annoying. This point may be completely coincidental so I'll not go any further on it.

Now lets talk value for money. I weighed in at 86kg today (dry morning and late afternoon :umwtf:) and at 182cm tall I'm not what you would call huge. Yet in order to have noticeable effects from this supplement I have had to consume 2 scoops (~40g) which is twice the "serving size" ("" because it does say between 1 and 3 scoops). This is quite a lot of supplement for someone who would be in the lower range of muscular trainees. At $2.20 per serve I'm having to consume $4.40 per session to get the benefits, which could quite possibly be achieved through a caffeine pill or beta-alinine at a much lower cost. It also means that I would only get 5 weeks worth of supplement out of a container, meaning I'd have to judiciously decide when to use it. So either this supplement is actually expecting most trainees to consume huge amounts and falsely advertising the serving size as 20g, or it is aiming the supplement at Johnny No-Muscle from Weaksville.

Conclusions so far: Ok so I'm now convinced that this supplement actually does something. I definitely felt switched on and definitely got a pump. The extra energy is definitely an advantage to my workouts and is a very good thing. I'm not convinced that this is a good supplement though. It was expensive at one scoop per workout, at two scoops it is probably overpriced (dependant on how much value you place on these things). I'm sure that with a few mental exercises and perhaps a caffeine pill that I could get the same levels of motivation and energy.

Ultimately the long term use of this supplement is therefore down to how often I need a pick-me-up to get the most out of my training and how much this affects my long term achievements under the bar and physique wise. Given the scant evidence in the scientific literature showing effectiveness of the supplement on the last points I'm inclined to think that it has one selling point left. Ok it has two.... the ego stroking pump that makes me look all swole for the chicks :borat:

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i took SuperPump about 10 month's ago, and i found that to feel it you got to take 2 to 3 scoops. with 1 scoop i did'nt feel shit (maybe it's just me).

awesome thread tim !!!
keep us up with the updates :thumbsup2:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ :tiphat:

So it is a conspiracy to sell more product :angrydude:

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
awesome thread man, always enjoyed your logs :2:

with most to all supplements i have ever taken it seems like you always have to up the serving size to notice something.
i guess thats why they have suggested serving sizes of 1-3 scoops or 2-4 pills, so if you need 3 scoops to feel anything its still in their suggested serving :bitelip:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh but it is logical to assume that they mean for the larger athlete to up their dose such that you have a range for small, medium and large athletes that is not going to cause detrimental side effects. Given they are aimed at a BBer audience then I find it ridiculous that they are having a supplement that requires a mid to high dose for a small to medium athlete. There is an order of magnitude out there that annoys me.

They really should have on the package:
Toothpick man: 1 scoop
Skinny BBer: 2 scoops
Big guy: 3 scoops
Pro: 4 scoops
Caffeine junkie: 5 scoops

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
really good reviews tim, ive enjoyed the journey that your've taken with SP250,

when i tried SP250, i was taking around 2 - 3 scoops to notice "something"

you can buy SP250 at around $65 - $70 on ebay if you hunt around
after my trial of SP250, i wont be buyin it again
purely because of cost factor and there are better or cheaper pre workout things out there as well.

Looking forward to reading more of your review of this supplement :2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
raggamuffini

raggamuffini

I'm also a toothpick man of 178cm and 88kg.. Yet I had to take 2-3scoops of this stuff to feel the energy and pump.. I never tought of it that way, but seriously that is some missleading marketing :bball:
Anyways nice to hear that, at least, you didn't spend the money without feeling anything at all..

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

im curious why superpump not any other NO products?

Kanav

Kanav

jesus christ

you aussies pay WAY too much for supps.

And here I thought as a canadian I was getting gouged

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
really good reviews tim, ive enjoyed the journey that your've taken with SP250,

when i tried SP250, i was taking around 2 - 3 scoops to notice "something"

you can buy SP250 at around $65 - $70 on ebay if you hunt around
after my trial of SP250, i wont be buyin it again
purely because of cost factor and there are better or cheaper pre workout things out there as well.

Looking forward to reading more of your review of this supplement :2:

I may be once bitten, twice shy; I don't like buying stuff off of ebay. And I agree that even if you were to find it at half the cost it still seems expensive.
Ragamuffini said:
I'm also a toothpick man of 178cm and 88kg.. Yet I had to take 2-3scoops of this stuff to feel the energy and pump.. I never tought of it that way, but seriously that is some missleading marketing
Anyways nice to hear that, at least, you didn't spend the money without feeling anything at all..
:2:
So the consensus is that you need at least 2 scoops. And we out-weigh Dridz by reasonable amount :omgwtf:
l12l21l2012l said:
im curious why superpump not any other NO products?
Not to answer a question with a question, but "why not"?

I'd heard that the two big market leaders were SuperPump250 and BSN NO-Explode, and guess which ones they had in the store. The BSN was a couple of $ more so I got the SuperPump.

Plus SuperPump has the "studies" and "science" behind their product :bitelip: MuscleTech does too :deadhorse:
Kanav said:
jesus christ

you aussies pay WAY too much for supps.

And here I thought as a canadian I was getting gouged
Yes, yes we do.

It could be worse. All the protein powders could acutally come from Aust and New Zealand and be shipped over to the USA for packaging and then shipped back at 1000000x the price :31_whip:

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

Not to answer a question with a question, but "why not"?

I'd heard that the two big market leaders were SuperPump250 and BSN NO-Explode, and guess which ones they had in the store. The BSN was a couple of $ more so I got the SuperPump.
1. cost is high
2. taste is gross
3. serving size.

Plus SuperPump has the "studies" and "science" behind their product

there are many other companies they have science behind their products ex: no shotgun taste amazing and you need only one serving size.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1. cost is high
Compared to what? Re-read my post, it was the least expensive in the store.
2. taste is gross
Thanks, really!? Could have used that info a lot earlier than after I'd bought it.
3. serving size.
Once again until I started this thread there has been no discussion of the taste, serving size disparity and effectiveness of the SuperPump product. Another example of why I made this thread, to provide objective info to people and raise points that most people don't cover when they discuss supplements.

there are many other companies they have science behind their products ex: no shotgun taste amazing and you need only one serving size.
:doh:

You missed the sarcasm. And most supplement companies have very little credible research backing their products. Most of the ingredients used are actually researched by independants first (usually in mice) and then extrapolated upon.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

any updates?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yes. My holidays were excellent.

Thanks for asking.

I'm now into the "take it when I'm flat" stage of use to see if it makes the difference to workouts. Hopefully I'll have something to enter the discussion about it for this purpose.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

just got a can of animal pump cant wait to try it, hope its bett er than shock therapy:headbang:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Animal Pump...... I'm always wary of their supps because of their ads.

Trained the other night. I felt flat and so took some SuperPump. Still lacked energy and focus in the workout (the sex prior probably didn't help) and I tended to have cramps and dizziness while doing anything overhead.

Very minor pump at the end. Overall was underwhelmed with the effects.