• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Steroids In The News Topic

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All this talk about pain killers reminds me of Tom Prince. Everyone always says his kidney problem was due to steroids and blah blah blah. Prince said himself he believes the steroids had very little to do. He took advil everyday for 8-10 years and that's what he thinks caused it.

thicknasty

thicknasty

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I remember reading that somewhere, I think he said that his doctor came to that same conclusion too.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Diesel said:
He took advil everyday for 8-10 years and that's what he thinks caused it.
Think?!?!?

Plenty of science literature to make that almost a given. There is use and then there is abuse. Of course this applys to anything, including steroids.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Drug raid uncovered cache of steroids, officials say

By Tom Loftus
tloftus@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- At least $150,000 in anabolic steroids and steroid ingredients was seized during a drug bust this month at a pharmacy lab in Louisville, officials said yesterday.

It was the first time agents have seized steroids in their effort to stem the illegal sale of prescription drugs over the Internet, Attorney General Greg Stumbo said at a news conference in Frankfort.

"This is the largest anabolic steroid find that we've had, and it indicates to us the problem may be larger than we think," he said. "A large number of these drugs we believe were headed for neighborhood baseball diamonds, football fields and running tracks."

The steroids, ingredients and other narcotics were seized by state agents Sept. 15 at Advanced Pharmacy in the 11000 block of Bluegrass Parkway.

Stumbo said that the site allegedly was a shipping hub for a Florida-based company, which was to send drugs from orders placed on the Internet. They were not intended to be sold on the street in Kentucky, he said.

David James, commissioner of the KBI in the attorney general's office, said other evidence seized in the investigation showed some of the drugs were to be shipped to Kentucky destinations.

Pressed on whether $150,000 of steroids represented the goods of a steroid supplier, Stumbo said, "If it's a one-week supply or a two-week supply, that's pretty big. … It depends on how rapidly they intended to ship."

At the time of the bust, agents suspected the seized drugs consisted largely of pain pills. Yesterday Stumbo said agents were surprised that steroids were part of the seizure.

In saying that steroids may be a growing problem, Stumbo cited a 2001 University of Kentucky study that showed teens in Kentucky use marijuana and cocaine at rates lower than the national average but have used unprescribed steroids at a rate greater than the national rate.

Jeff Jones, assistant research professor at the University of Kentucky College of Public Health, said a 2004 Youth Risk Behavior Survey showed that 5.7 percent of Kentucky high school students said that they had at some time used steroids without a prescription.

Jones said that this is about the same rate the survey showed for high school steroid use in 2002. But he said the 5.7 percent rate is significantly higher than the national average of 4 percent.

"So there is a statistically significant difference between use of steroids among high school students in the U.S. and the high school students in Kentucky," he said.

Jerry Wyman, director of activities and athletics for Jefferson County schools, said he's never seen steroids as a problem in Jefferson schools.

"It has not even been an issue," said Wyman, who served for five years as an assistant principal and six years as an athletic director in Jefferson schools before assuming his current job 1½ years ago.

"I'd be naïve if I said it's never happened," he said. "But as far as it being a growing problem? I just don't see it."

Stephen Marshall Webb, 56, of Louisville, a pharmacist, and Victor Hugo Ortega, 33, of Venezuela, a manager for Advanced Pharmacy, were arrested in the Sept. 15 bust.

Ortega could not be reached for comment. Webb declined comment, referring questions to his lawyer. His lawyer could not be reached for comment.

Each was charged with illegally selling drugs via the Internet, undergoing prohibited activities related to controlled substances, illegal distribution by a practitioner or pharmacist, and illegal sale or distribution by a licensed pharmacist.

Hearings for both are scheduled for Oct. 9 in Jefferson District Court.

Stumbo and James declined to say what drew investigators' attention to the Louisville operation, which they said was in office space that functioned partly as a lab.

They said they believe it had been in operation about two days before the bust.

"The items seized indicated that they were anticipating a large bump up in their business," Stumbo said. "We seized items such as additional computers, additional printing machines, fax machines. It was obvious they were just getting ready to kick into high gear."

Link: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060927/NEWS0104/609270566

F

free form

thicknasty said:
And the thing is that the media will put the entire blame on steroids. It doesn't matter how many other factors may have been involved in causing somebody to loose their temper, if steroids are involved steroids will get the blame, with out any other variables being considered.

TOO right, and how many times have we read in the news paper or seen on T,V where non athlete's have committed some cruel or horrific crime. where they try and plead not guilty on grounds of INSANITY or (under the influence of a substance) only to see the judge dismiss the suggestion. if it is in your mental make up to do these atrocity's it is only a matter of time and circumstance's till such a situation arises.

F

free form

PUMBA said:
Exactly, what about alcohol and cigerettes? Unlike alcohol how many car accidents have steroids caused, unlike smoking how much cancer has sitting in a room full of bodybuilders caused, :bowroflarms: I wish we could get passive effects of steroids ha ha be alot cheaper.

will thous passive effects work in a chat room:bowroflarms: :bowroflarms:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Clemens, others blast Grimsley report

Associated Press
Last updated: 9:56 p.m., Sunday, October 1, 2006

Roger Clemens calls the report "dangerous and malicious and reckless." Andy Pettitte insists he never took banned drugs. Miguel Tejada says he is being smeared again by scandal.

Some of baseball's biggest stars responded with denials and denunciations Sunday following a Los Angeles Times report in which former pitcher Jason Grimsley accused five players of using performance-enhancing drugs, according to a federal agent's affidavit. The other players cited were Baltimore teammates Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons.

Grimsley once played with Clemens and Pettitte on the New York Yankees and is now out of baseball. The reliever has admitted using a variety of banned substances and was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball.

Clemens and Pettitte, now teammates on the Houston Astros, denied the allegations Sunday.

"I just think it's incredibly dangerous to sit out there and just throw names out there," Clemens said Sunday before the Astros played in Atlanta on the final day of the regular season. "I haven't seen (the report), nor do I need to see it."

"For the people involved it is very dangerous and malicious and reckless on the part of somebody ... to put something out there with somebody else's writing on it," he added.

Clemens said he has been tested "plenty of times" and passed every test.

Pettitte was "stunned" by the report.

"I played with Grimsley for a couple of years in New York and had a great relationship with him," the pitcher said before the Astros' game.

"I've never used any drugs to enhance my performance in baseball. I don't know what else to say except to say it's embarrassing my name would be out there."

In June, federal agents searched Grimsley's home in Arizona after the pitcher admitted using human growth hormone, steroids and amphetamines. Grimsley later was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks.

In a search warrant affidavit signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, the Times reported, he said Grimsley identified other players who had used drugs. Those names were blacked out when the document was released.

"As for Jason Grimsley's affidavit, we have no information regarding how it was obtained or its accuracy," MLB spokesman Richard Levin said Sunday.

All major league players are tested at least twice a year for banned drugs. There is no test for HGH, but it is banned by the sport. Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell was hired by MLB to investigate steroids in baseball.

The Times said an unidentified source with access to the document -- minus the cross-outs -- allowed the newspaper see it but kept the copy. The Times said a second source who had identified the other players provided additional details about the document.

According to the affidavit, the Times said, Grimsley told investigators Clemens and Pettitte "used athletic performance-enhancing drugs."

Houston teammate Lance Berkman said he would be startled to find either of the two pitchers involved, calling the matter "irresponsible" and "unfortunate."

"You just have to be very, very careful when you make accusations like that," he said. "You better be right about it."

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Clemens, others blast Grimsley report

Last updated: 9:56 p.m., Sunday, October 1, 2006

(Page 2 of 2)

The affidavit also alleged Grimsley told federal agents that Roberts, Gibbons and Tejada, all with the Orioles, "took anabolic steroids."
"What can I do? I spent one morning last year with Grimsley," Tejada said Sunday from Boston. "I mean, I already got thrown under the bus with Palmeiro. No, I don't worry about that."

Rafael Palmeiro was suspended last season for using steroids and suggested the positive test may have been the result of a vitamin B-12 shot Tejada gave him. Tejada insisted he did nothing wrong.

Gibbons has said he has passed every test administered by baseball.

"I'm as shocked as anybody else," he said.

Roberts derided the accusations as "ridiculous."

"We've had steroid testing, and I've taken all the tests," he told The (Baltimore) Sun. "There is no point in getting into verbal wars."

Novitzky also was the lead investigator in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative probe. Two BALCO officials and Barry Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, served jail time after guilty pleas in that investigation.

Grimsley has complained to friends, the Times said, that federal agents attributed statements to him that he did not make.

Randy Hendricks, who represents Clemens and Pettitte, told The Associated Press he questions the conduct of the federal agents.

"I've grown weary of having to defend (Clemens) from innuendo and conjecture about every six months for the last several years when he's complied with all of the rules and regulations," Hendricks said. "Andy is just surprised and stunned, and has no knowledge of any such activity."

Atlanta Braves star Chipper Jones called Clemens and Pettitte "iconic figures" and is convinced of their innocence.

Giants manager Felipe Alou was asked how he thinks Clemens will be treated compared to Bonds.

"I've got to say, Rockets are hard to catch," he said. "I was shocked to see those names on television this morning. Some big names. I said, 'Here we go again.'"

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/st...y=Sports&BCCode=SPORTSMAIN&newsdate=10/1/2006

PUMBA

PUMBA

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
free form said:
will thous passive effects work in a chat room:bowroflarms: :bowroflarms:
Don't know, keep chatting to me and I'll tell you if I grow:bowroflarms: :bowroflarms: and NO!!! not grow in my pants before anyone types it in :gayaway:

F

free form

PUMBA said:
Don't know, keep chatting to me and I'll tell you if I grow:bowroflarms: :bowroflarms: and NO!!! not grow in my pance before anyone types it in :gayaway:

hahahaah your a funny funny man..:bowroflarms: :bowroflarms:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Customs seize steroids
October 05, 2006
CUSTOMS officers have seized a large quantity of performance enhancing drugs in intercepted mail packages and in a raid on an apartment in Melbourne's Docklands precinct.

The drugs were found in three mail parcels originated from Serbia that were seized by Customs agents as they arrived in Melbourne between September 21 and September 27.

The packages contained 26 phials of nandrolone decanoate, an anabolic steroid; 120 proviron mesterolone tablets, an androgenic steroid; and 247 heart-shaped anabolic tablets, a Customs spokesman said.

The steroids were concealed in hollowed-out books in the first two packages, with tablets concealed in a plastic CD case in the third.

The packages were addressed to the same address in Docklands, the spokesman said.

Customs officers raided an apartment at Docklands on Tuesday, seizing a further 547 anabolic tablets and "evidentiary material", he said.

The investigation is continuing and it is expected charges will be laid.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
73-year-old Swedish weightlifter admits drug use

A 73-year-old Swedish weightlifter is to be suspended for two years for use of anabolic steroids, local media reported on Tuesday.

Leo Honkala, former manager of the national wrestling team, took the illegal substance while preparing for the European Championship for veterans in the Czech Republic.

"A few weeks before the European Championships I started taking Dianabol," Honkala told Dala-Demokraten.

"I knew that it was illegal but I didn't think I would get caught. It was extra tempting now that there is a class for over 70s at the European Championships, and I planned to be involved for the last time," he added.

Honkala's aim was to break the world record for his class.

Had he not received assistance from a young accomplice however he might never have mastered the technology needed to order the drug, according to the newspaper.

"A younger guy told me that it was possible to get Dianabol on the internet. So he helped me to order. I'm not really very good with computers," said Honkala.

Honkala has been banned from athletic competition until October 2008.

Source: Xinhua

http://english.people.com.cn/200611/08/eng20061108_319477.html

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
New tool to catch sports cheats: Gene-doping test
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2006-12-05-gene-doping-test_x.htm
By Sal Ruibal, USA TODAY

For the first time in decades, scientists say they have an edge against sports cheaters: a test for gene doping.
Gene doping had been considered a potentially perfect crime, undetectable by the usual methods because the technique uses a person's own body to create the changes at a cellular level.

A spinoff from legitimate gene therapy, it involves inserting a selected portion of DNA code — for larger muscles or increased stamina — into the body. It can be detected only through the use of MRI scans or multiple muscle biopsies, which are impractical in a sports setting.

But Theodore Friedmann, the world's leading expert on gene doping, told USA TODAY that researchers have found a way to detect the practice through blood, urine and saliva, the same methods used to detect illegal steroids, EPO (erythropoietin) blood boosters and testosterone.

"It is very early in the development of the technology, and we are encouraged that it is proving possible to find evidence of foreign genes being introduced into a body," says Friedmann, director of the Center for Molecular Genetics at the University of California-San Diego School of Medicine. "The problem is not only to develop a test but to validate it to the point where you can take it to an arbitration or court and prove that's the only explanation for the finding that you made. That's very difficult, and that's going to take a lot more work."

Experts have predicted that the August 2008 Beijing Olympics would be the first arena in which genetically altered athletes might compete, but no evidence of gene doping labs has emerged.

Friedmann says the new test might not be officially sanctioned by 2008, "but that should provide no comfort for people who want to use illicit methods to dope."

That's because the World Anti-Doping Code allows samples to be tested for up to eight years after an event.

"I'm not overly concerned that the test will probably not be validated by 2008," says Dick Pound, chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency. "The most important thing for me is to make sure we have the test right. If we have to give up six months or even a year to make sure all of those scientific ends are tied up, I'm not worried about it."

The real payoff, Pound says, is the advantage enforcers are finally gaining after losing ground to hard-to-detect high-tech drugs and masking agents.

"With genetic doping, we've tried to keep up with the curve as that science develops and not let the genie out of the bottle as the sports movement did in the '60s, '70s, '80s and even the '90s."

Scientific safeguards ahead of the curve

The recent history of anti-doping efforts has been a series of reactions to a cascade of new performance-enhancing drugs. The news that scientists have found a way to detect gene doping is the rare case in which a test is being developed before an actual offense has occurred: So far, there is no evidence of the existence of gene-doping labs.

"But we were not born yesterday, and we know the resources it would take," says Theodore Friedmann, considered the world's top gene-doping expert. "A committed person who really wants to do it can use gene-doping methods. The resources are not really great. With a small number of people and a molecular biology facility, it would not be that difficult."

At a very basic level, genes are the software of your body.

Like the computer software that runs your e-mail and web browsing, genes contain codes that tell every cell in your body what to do and when to do it.

Gene transfer is similar to making changes to the software in your personal computer.

If you have a faulty code that is preventing your computer from working properly, a computer technician can insert a segment of corrected code to make things right. When that's done with genetic material instead of computer code and in a living organism instead of a computer, that's gene therapy.

If your computer is otherwise OK, but you want to upgrade its performance in a certain area, you can download software that overrides your existing codes to make your computer more powerful, or you can add tools.

Medical researchers are already exploring this new world that promises cures for a multitude of ills, including muscle-wasting diseases.

Overriding otherwise healthy normal genetics with a gene transfer to improve strength or endurance is the basis of enhancement gene therapy, or in the case of athletes, gene doping. Since the first word of the performance-building potential of the technique became known in 2000, athletes have clamored to take part in trials. Today, the possibility exists that some are ready to make the leap by illegal means.

Both legal and illicit gene transfers are made by chemically attaching the new section of DNA to what's called a "vector virus," some related to common cold viruses, which are injected into the body. The viruses replicate and copy themselves onto existing gene strands.

But unlike crashing your PC with bad software, the consequences of botched gene doping can be catastrophic, even fatal.

"The sad fact is that if someone in this field wants to do it, they are not going to worry about all the quality control and the ethical aspects of manipulating people genetically," Friedmann says.

Despite the emergence of a detection test, demand will still drive the creation of illicit gene transfer networks.

"There are many labs, thousands of labs in the world that could do the work," he says. "We know that there is a tremendous amount of money in sport. And where there is money and a will to do it, some people are going to do it."

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Woooooooooooooooow! That would make u so sickly and insanekly huge. :skurred: it will happen i just hope he doesnt win when it does happen.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Steroid seizure among largest
Authorities found about 40,000 units of substance in locker
By Matthew Dolan
Sun reporter
Originally published December 9, 2006
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.steroids09dec09,0,3858688.story

It seemed like a routine seizure when federal customs agents intercepted a package of steroids at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York. From JFK, the investigation led authorities to Anne Arundel County to what they now call one of the largest stashes of man-made muscle enhancers found in the region.

Federal authorities and Anne Arundel County police searched the locker of the Bally's personal trainer last summer and wrote in court papers that they found about 40,000 vials and tablets of suspected anabolic steroids stuffed inside a locked chest.

"It's unprecedented, as far as we're concerned," said Floyd Pond, deputy director of the Washington-Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area task force program. Ed Marcinko, a spokesman for the Drug Enforcement Administration in Baltimore, said he agreed with Pond's assessment.

James Dinkins, the special agent in charge of the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement's Baltimore office, said he could not answer detailed questions about the investigation his office led because the case is pending in U.S. District Court.

But sources familiar with the ICE investigation said that Schlanger might have been responsible for trafficking in as many as 250,000 so-called units of steroids over the past five years.

Schlanger, 47, of Catonsville, could face up to five years in prison and $250,000 in fines if convicted of federal drug conspiracy charges after authorities said they arrested one of his employees picking up a drug-filled package at a UPS store in July. A trial date has not been scheduled, attorneys in the case said.

Andrew Alperstein, Schlanger's defense lawyer, said Friday that he and his client had no comment on the charges.

A message left for the manager at Bally Total Fitness in Glen Burnie about Schlanger's employment was not returned yesterday. Alperstein said that his client has been released from federal custody to await his trial.

Court papers filed in federal and state courts, and sources familiar with the case, accuse Schlanger of working as a wholesale drug dealer who cast a wide net for customers, importing the muscle-building drugs through the mail from China and then reselling the steroids in the Baltimore region and nationally through the Internet.

Authorities said in court papers that Schlanger's activities came to light when customs agents intercepted a package filled 3,038 units - usually either a vial or tablet - of steroids at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York City on July 5. The parcel was addressed to "Country Crafts," a federal agent wrote.

While agents investigated, two more packages arrived, one from China and one from Great Britain, court papers show. Authorities reported they contained 960 vials of Igtropin, an insulin-like growth steroid and testosterone enanthate.

Federal authorities brought in Anne Arundel County police to set up a "controlled delivery" of the drugs July 13 to the UPS store in Severna Park. When a man, Pierre R. Gumucio, retrieved the packages, he and his girlfriend, Rachael Ann Martin were arrested, officials said.

Inside their car were bags of clear glass vials of suspected steroids, orange pills and a book marked "ANABOLIC," according to court papers.

At Anne Arundel County's Eastern District, agents wrote that Gumucio confessed.

"Mr. Gumucio stated that he had been an 'on again off again'" recreational drug user for years," ICE Special Agent Jon Marsicano Jr. wrote in an affidavit.

He told investigators that he worked for Schlanger, receiving two to three packages a week for him from China over the past couple of years and wiring overseas payments for the drugs on Schlanger's behalf.

"According to Mr. Gumucio, Mr. Schlanger stated that U.S. Customs flagged him for prior importation of steroids and it was very difficult for him to receive packages without Customs inspecting them," Marsicano wrote in court papers. Schlanger also served as a moderator on professionalmuscle.com, using his connections to find customers around Baltimore and across the country, according to Gumucio's account in court papers.

The break in the case came when Gumucio told agents about Schlanger's storage locker, court papers say.

Anne Arundel police obtained a search warrant for the locker off Fort Meade Road. Inside, they wrote in court papers, they found about 18,200 doses of suspected steroids. Agents familiar with the case said this week that the final number inside the locker was actually 40,000 - a figure reflected in the pending federal indictment against Schlanger.

On the same day, July 14, agents attempted to search Schlanger's home on Arunah Avenue in Catonsville. But as they did, they found Schlanger at home and detained him as they sought a separate arrest warrant.

Inside his home, court papers say, authorities found more steroids, packaging material and vials. In August, a federal magistrate judge signed a search warrant for investigators to obtain electronic records of Schlanger's Yahoo e-mail account. Public court records do not reflect what agents found as part of their search.

After facing charges of drug possession in state court, authorities decided to move Schlanger's case and indicted him for conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids in federal court on Sept. 20. Gumucio and Martin's drug possession cases remain in state court.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Check your Clen before use..

Concentrated Counterfeit Clenbuterol Having Deadly Effect
by: Erin Ryder, Staff Writer
November 22 2006 Article # 8230

Veterinarians at Louisiana State University have confirmed that two horses being treated at their veterinary teaching hospital died after ingesting concentrated clenbuterol. Tests on the drug have revealed that the solution contains 70 times the amount of clenbuterol as the FDA-approved formula.

The Louisiana State Veterinarian's office and the FDA are investigating the cases. While veterinarians at the hospital verified that the two horses died after ingesting the drug, they stressed that tests on blood levels of the drug have not yet confirmed that it caused the deaths.

"We don't have confirmation of anything yet--but we did have cases come through here, and two died," said Rebecca McConnico, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACVIM, who treated the horses when they were admitted to the LSU hospital. She says the horses had clinical signs consistent with colic--they were sweating profusely, anxious, and had high heart rates.

McConnico said the clenbuterol was packaged in a white plastic container with a white label, marked "Clenbuterol HCl, 72.5 micrograms" in black lettering. No brand name or manufacturer was labeled on the bottle.

Steven Barker, PhD, did the drug testing on the sample submitted by the horses' owner. He is the state chemist as well as the director of Analytical Systems Laboratories and the Equine Medication Surveillance Laboratory at LSU.

"They thought perhaps the material in the bottle wasn't clenbuterol, or that it was some toxic material," Barker said. "As it turns out, we tested the material in the bottle and it was clenbuterol--it's just that the concentration that was there was approximately 70 times what it should have been. So these animals received an overdose of clenbuterol, which had severe physiological effects."

Barker said the people who brought the horses and bottle to the hospital stated that they had purchased the bottle in a tack shop at a Texas racetrack. The horses that became ill were stabled at Evangeline Downs in Louisiana, according to another source.

There are currently two legitimate clenbuterol medications for horses available in the United States. The FDA has approved Ventipulmin and Aeropulmin, both manufactured by Boehringer-Ingelheim, for equine use.

Clenbuterol is a bronchodilator, and it is used in horses with respiratory problems to relax smooth muscles the airway, causing the airway to dilate. It also stimulates the activity of the cilia in the trachea, assisting the process of eliminating mucus and microscopic debris. It can be administered orally; with careful dosing, side effects are minimal.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4574568.html

3 Charged in Alleged Steroid Scheme

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The owner of a New Jersey pharmaceutical company and two doctors from New York have been charged in an alleged scheme to illegally prescribe anabolic steroids and human growth hormone to bodybuilders in several states, federal prosecutors said Thursday.

Daniel McGlone, 54, owner of American Pharmaceutical Group, and Ana Maria Santi, who previously had been stripped of her license to practice medicine, were charged in an 80-count indictment issued Wednesday by a federal grand jury in Providence. Victor Mariani, a licensed physician with a practice in New York City, was charged separately and has agreed to plead guilty, the U.S. attorney's office in Rhode Island said.

McGlone and Santi face charges of health care fraud, conspiracy and illegal drug distribution. McGlone, of North Brunswick, N.J., faces an additional 51 counts of money laundering. Prosecutors say McGlone obtained $860,810 through the alleged scheme, which ran from April 2004 until August 2006.

Bob Mann, an attorney for McGlone, said Thursday he was still reviewing the indictment.

"We'll address the issues in court," he said, adding that his client planned to plead not guilty.

Attorneys for Santi and Mariani did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

The use or distribution of human growth hormone is restricted under federal law to specified medical uses, such as wasting disease associated with AIDS. It is not approved for bodybuilding or weight-loss treatments.

Prosecutors say McGlone advertised steroids and human growth hormone in publications geared toward body builders. When customers contacted him, he advised them what substances they could use for bodybuilding, weight-loss and anti-aging purposes, the indictment alleges.

After receiving orders from customers, prosecutors said, McGlone paid Santi and Mariani to write the prescriptions, even though they never met or examined the patients.

The state of New York revoked Santi's medical license in 1999. The indictment alleges she forged the signature of a retired doctor who was living in a California nursing home on the prescriptions.

The indictment says McGlone forwarded the prescriptions to various large pharmacies, which distributed the steroids to customers in Rhode Island and other states. It says he received money either from the pharmacy or his customers, and then paid the doctors out of his profit.

Mariani was arraigned Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Providence and was released on unsecured bond pending a court hearing next month. He has agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy and illegal drug distribution charges, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Federal agents arrested McGlone at his home in New Jersey, and he was released after posting $500,000 bail. Santi is currently in state custody in New York on unrelated charges, prosecutors said.