• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

ON Whey protein?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeah, my first thought, but I'm not sure he means that.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
^^ 99€ in Estonia? That sounds expensive as hell!

I'll buy it for 42€... and I believe we spaniards have a greater Per capita income than your country.

47 euros in Portugal... meh.

it was the first protein I took and it is very good!

but now I don't care for fancy tubs, I just buy plain WPC 80% 3kg for 35 euros.

economy matters!:thumbsup2:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeah, my first thought, but I'm not sure he means that.

Pretty much as Line put it. I was also finding I was starting to prepare a meal PWO and it would be a long time until I ate. I addressed this and was making an "Arnie" shake, which would then leave me feeling full and bloated and I wouldn't want a real meal afterwards.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I find them great for right after a workout with some dextrose, then when you get home you dont have to worry about cooking up a meal. you can take your time and get something good after an hour or so after your workout. Thats my philosophy :xyxthumbs:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^^ Ok, I'll buy it but... 2 question for you, if u don't mind, dilated:

1) 25-30lbs of whey in how much time?
2) What kind of "issues"?

Tnx.

Im pissing out of my ass... lol jk

25-35 lbs in like 2 years or so. Around 15 of those lbs have been in the last 5-6 months.

idk man, i think its just mental. I used to drink a shake and oatmeal everymorning but nowadays i just feel like crap physicaly and mentaly when i do so. Maybe ive just grown tired of it and my mind is making my body feel crummy. It takes longer for me to digest it, sometimes get a bit nausea, the aftertaste bothers me when it didnt before... il change the flavor again next time i get it and see if i feel better.

Other then the recent problems i been having, i preffer it over all other protein i have taken. It mixes into water super easily simply by stiring it with a spoon within a few seconds. The taste is fine, amongst the best protein shakes ive tasted (thats probably not saying much lol). A lot of protein and aminos per scoop.

I find them great for right after a workout with some dextrose, then when you get home you dont have to worry about cooking up a meal. you can take your time and get something good after an hour or so after your workout. Thats my philosophy :xyxthumbs:

My thoughts exactly.

One question though, sometimes i start drinking my shake during my final exercise so i can eat a bit sooner once i get home and cook. Is that a good idea or should i wait until im done working out? does it matter?

Dont mean to hijack the thread, just came up.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Don't mind highjacking the thread, your question is interesting.

I think I have another one:

- I train late in the evening, from 8.45 to 10pm and I usually when to bed at midnight. I don't have much time to eat twice so... should I take only a shake with, e.g, milk as my PWO-dinner meal?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you have 2 hours then you have enough time for the 2 pwo meals. As you know, 1 after you finish and another an hour later, that leaves you with an hour before you head off to bed. If you dont have time to cook then prepare all your meals before whenever you have time

If you just dont have the time then perhaps you could have the regular pwo shake then have another one an hour later consisting mostly of caesin mixed in with some oats, olive oil and veg.

Thats what i would do if i was in your situation.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ But why bother. Gastric emptying time for a solid mixed macro meal negates the point of the second meal so soon when you are just about to sleep. Having a heap of food just before bed is not usually that conducive to the greatest sleep either.

Better approach would be to take a whey isolate straight after and then a casein or whey+casein shake a half hour before bed.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ But why bother. Gastric emptying time for a solid mixed macro meal negates the point of the second meal so soon when you are just about to sleep. Having a heap of food just before bed is not usually that conducive to the greatest sleep either.

Better approach would be to take a whey isolate straight after and then a casein or whey+casein shake a half hour before bed.

why? Explain...

So for carbs, what should one eat?
Go with the regular dextrose etc.. pwo, then in the meal before bed (in mvsf1`s situation).. would one take solid form carbs? liquid form like milk? or dextrose.. which i`m guessing no but brought it up anyway

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
One question though, sometimes i start drinking my shake during my final exercise so i can eat a bit sooner once i get home and cook. Is that a good idea or should i wait until im done working out? does it matter?

Dont mean to hijack the thread, just came up.

It doesn't really matter. I dont think waiting any longer to eat after your shake matters either. I would say just finish your workout then have your shake so it doesnt interrupt your workout. Ive read people suggesting to drink it during the final couple sets, but i dont see a reason why. Like time said earlier a couple minutes wont have that much difference as a whole on the digestion time.
Normally i just take my shake right after i get done, then once i get home starting eating whatever i cooked up before or just make a meal since im always hungry anyways (workout in the am).

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
why? Explain...

So for carbs in his specific situation), what should one eat?
Go with the regular dextrose etc..for pwo, then in the meal before bed (in mvsf1`s situation).. would one take solid form carbs? liquid form like milk? or dextrose.. which i`m guessing no but brought it up anyway

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Protein from a whey shake is going to start entering the blood stream after about 15mins and keep doing so for 2-3 hours depending on the amount consumed and whether there was any casein (milk) or fats with it (I'm getting these numbers from memory so anyone feel free to correct).

A solid meal that requires digestion will take slightly longer to hit the bloodstream and can take 4hrs to digest.

A whey isolate or other fast protein on its own in water will hit a bit faster than a whey blend or concentrate and will generally be digested fully far quicker (still looking at an hour or 1.5).

So if you are awake for only a couple of hours after training then you are literally piling food on top of the last meal and in which case you might as well have a bigger meal sooner. You body can digest stuff while you sleep but I believe (could be wrong on this I can't remember what the study concluded on this) you don't get as much REM to be fully rested.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Got it.

I'll probably have a "big" shake (50grams of whey) with 300-350ml of milk (aprox) at 11pm, only 50min-1hour before bed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the digestion of milk is not the fastest out there, then I would have protein in my blood stream for 3-4 hours of so, isn't it?

I get up at 8am, so that would be enough food for the night, wouldn't be?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
300-350ml of milk is not a lot of caesin, my milk (skimmed) states ~3.3g protein/100ml or g
since 100ml of milk seems to be equal to 100g, i checked this.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Milk is slightly slower due to a portion of its protein being casein. But as Chewie rightly points out this isn't a huge amount. But it really just prolongs the absorbtion time rather than make it start later (remember this is a liquid meal, not a solid one that requires physical breakdown).

I posted a bunch of abstracts on pre and post workout nutrition by Tipton in the articles section. He has one on milk that would be of interest on this matter. Casein+Whey has actually been shown in a few studies to result in better lean gains than a similar proportion of whey or casein on their own.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Thank you both, guys, I'll do a seach in the forum and I'll post here the links.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So, I've been on this whey protein since monday. I took 4 servings already, one per day, one hour-45 min before getting to bed.

My feelings:

- Of course I didn't see any visual improvements on my phisique, it's really too early.
- Maybe I feel less sore the day after a hard workout (¿?)... it might be placebo.
- I think this whey have littble bit of caffein, I need an extra 10-15 min to fall asleep every night.
- I have some extra farts, lol, but ain't a problem, I do not feel bloated at all.
- This is something I want to ask you guys: till last week I ALWAYS got to bathroom EVERY SINGLE DAY almost at the same time and now, since monday, I went only once... do my body needs some time to adapt? My diet hasn't changed, I only added a 25 grams of protein and water shake...

Thanks in advance for your input.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So, I've been on this whey protein since monday. I took 4 servings already, one per day, one hour-45 min before getting to bed.

My feelings:

- Of course I didn't see any visual improvements on my phisique, it's really too early.
4 servings is also too few to notice considering it would only account for <5% of your calories for that time period.
- Maybe I feel less sore the day after a hard workout (¿?)... it might be placebo.
Will definitely be placebo.
- I think this whey have littble bit of caffein, I need an extra 10-15 min to fall asleep every night.
That is because you have just consumed at least 120 calories that will take a couple of hours to digest. You have raised your metabolism enough that you have changed your ability to fall asleep quickly.
- I have some extra farts, lol, but ain't a problem, I do not feel bloated at all.
You've changed your diet, it happens. Would have happened if you added something else high in protein or fibre as well.
- This is something I want to ask you guys: till last week I ALWAYS got to bathroom EVERY SINGLE DAY almost at the same time and now, since monday, I went only once... do my body needs some time to adapt? My diet hasn't changed, I only added a 25 grams of protein and water shake...

Thanks in advance for your input.
Something else is likely to be at fault, or else you have changed your dietary patterns with the late meal, thus your digestion pattern. Either way add fibre.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

My feelings:

How much protein have you added to your daily amount? You might not see any drastic improvements. It is all relevant to how muxh the extra protein effects your nitrogen balance.

This is all relevant to nitrogen retention, and weather or not you could benefit form increasing protein intake. The body will increase protein synthesis when more protein is added, but only up to a certain point. If you have not reached that point it is very possible that you could be less sore from taking in more protein and decreasing nitrogen wasting.

Did you get the chocolate flavor? Cocoa has small amounts of caffeine in it, but I would be some what surprised if the amount of caffeine found in the amount of cocoa in one scoop of whey would effect your sleep.

The extra gas is normal. The bathroom issue can possibly be correlated with the fact that protein is dry weight in the body. You might try eating a cup of grapes or strawberry's with yoru shake and drinking a large glass of water with your shake.