• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Video of my band.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
lol no one ever seems to answer the question WHY DO YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE VOCALS IN THE SONG?!?.

Vocals ARE an instrument... every other instrument is basically 2nd rate in popular genres of music. it shits me. the ONLY thing i respect about DJ's is the fact that they understand this.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lol no one ever seems to answer the question WHY DO YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE VOCALS IN THE SONG?!?.

Vocals ARE an instrument... every other instrument is basically 2nd rate in popular genres of music. it shits me. the ONLY thing i respect about DJ's is the fact that they understand this.

:49:, because it makes it more enjoyable to listen to? because it gives a better understanding to the theme of the song? because it better helps you understand the vocalists/bands emotions? because it just makes the music seem like mindless anger directed at no one in particular? because if your speaking english i should be able to understand what your saying?

there you go, question answered.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
so the vocalist is the only way to convey emotion? <--- dont take this badly but thats extreme ignorance right there.

Listen to some classical man. get some culture about you.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hahahaha I actually liked it. A lot. Care to link to some downloads from your band ? Perhaps a vid without such a shitty audio quality ? xD

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
You can have lyrics in a song and not make them the centerpiece of a song.

A perfect example would be most songs by the band Tool. The lyrics never overpower the instruments.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Tech - they also understand that vocals are merely an instrument in a whole ensemble. great band, i like them

NeoSyphilis - no other video's just yet, we are currently recording an EP, so once thats recorded id say we'll upload a couple songs onto myspace, in which time ill post the site :xyxthumbs:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I agree that its metal and metal vocals are indeed an accquired taste... but saying the vocals are shit PURELY because you cant understand them is completely ignorant.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
so the vocalist is the only way to convey emotion? <--- dont take this badly but thats extreme ignorance right there.

Listen to some classical man. get some culture about you.

metal and classical is not a good comparison. the music in classical is far more technical. it doens't take a whooooole lot of skill to be a metal guitarist, but to compose a piece of classical music requires true talent. the music in classical is good enough to stand by itself. metal.....not so much.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree that its metal and metal vocals are indeed an accquired taste... but saying the vocals are shit PURELY because you cant understand them is completely ignorant.

again with the "ignorant"

were calling them shit because it sounds like mindless, thoughtless, unneccessarily harsh and angry, on top of sounding like pure dribble.

and tool is an awesome band. with very good, meaningful vocals that are a pleasure to listen to, as well as some amazing instrumentals.

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i dont understand rap lyrics so whats the point of having a "singer" there?

:e5dunno:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
metal and classical is not a good comparison. the music in classical is far more technical. it doens't take a whooooole lot of skill to be a metal guitarist, but to compose a piece of classical music requires true talent. the music in classical is good enough to stand by itself. metal.....not so much.

You know nothing about metal AND classical music, im pretty sure youve never sat down and listened to Beethovens 9th symphony. sure youd know the main theme, but i bet youve never heard the whole thing. I reckon it would also be safe to assume that the only composers you know are Beethoven and Mozart... and possibly Pachelbel and Bach. If you knew anything about classical composing then you would realise that writing metal riffs is very similar. Classical had no boundaries, same goes with metal. Time signatures, song structures, vocal rhythms, key signatures etc are all used in a similar way.

Do you know what consonance and dissonance is? well learn about writing melody for both then get back to me :xyxthumbs:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You know nothing about metal AND classical music, im pretty sure youve never sat down and listened to Beethovens 9th symphony. sure youd know the main theme, but i bet youve never heard the whole thing. I reckon it would also be safe to assume that the only composers you know are Beethoven and Mozart... and possibly Pachelbel and Bach. If you knew anything about classical composing then you would realise that writing metal riffs is very similar. Classical had no boundaries, same goes with metal. Time signatures, song structures, vocal rhythms, key signatures etc are all used in a similar way.

Do you know what consonance and dissonance is? well learn about writing melody for both then get back to me :xyxthumbs:

it's funny how you know nothing about me, yet seem to know so much about my knowledge of music :e5dunno: so you are seriously saying that the music of metal is good enough to stand by itself? and is comparable to classical in that sense? the structure of classical is that of one that can stand by itself, and still be a joy to listen to. though the composing process is very similar (as it is with most music) the lyrics are an important vehicle of metal in terms of getting to the brunt of its message. when all that is heard is mindless dribble in the form of screaming, well..... that's all you have.

Tech and I are basically echoing the same sentiments.

:food-snacking:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
the way you describe music is what i based my accusations on. And i said 'metal and metal vocals are an accquired taste'

Listen to bands called Sleep terror, Deeds of Flesh, necrophagist and spawn of possession THEN come back to me.

I never said metal was compareable to classical as far as pieces of music goes, i was talking about the writing process. Listen and analyze metal riffs... diminished scale gets used a lot, this goes back to early medievil classic music, thats where we got it from. Arpeggios... where else do you get such a prolific use of arpeggios?

You have to have an immense knowledge of how to write conconant melodies in order to write dissonant melodies that sound good. which is what metal does. Metal vocals are about rhythm and texture rather than lyrics and melody.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the way you describe music is what i based my accusations on. And i said 'metal and metal vocals are an accquired taste'

Listen to bands called Sleep terror, Deeds of Flesh, necrophagist and spawn of possession THEN come back to me.

I never said metal was compareable to classical as far as pieces of music goes, i was talking about the writing process. Listen and analyze metal riffs... diminished scale gets used a lot, this goes back to early medievil classic music, thats where we got it from. Arpeggios... where else do you get such a prolific use of arpeggios?

You have to have an immense knowledge of how to write conconant melodies in order to write dissonant melodies that sound good. which is what metal does. Metal vocals are about rhythm and texture rather than lyrics and melody.

you know i see where your coming from, and i think the main problem is just my personal disagreeance as to what metal vocals stand for. though i do believe lyrics and their understanding play a major role in songs and their emotional vibe, i guess metal just doesn't pay them any heed. there just a backround noise i guess. either way my criticism was not of your band or your playing ability. i think this is one of those agree to disagree things.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I grew up in a "Christian enforced" family
listened to just radio.etc
then when i got into Public school system 7th grade+
changed.. of course, got hooked on Korn.. then Hypocrisy..
then on and on.. seemed like each new band, i got to know/learn was heavier than the last
or more interesting in general.
i have to say also, EBM, Industrial music, metal plus its subsidiaries etc are what i listen to
i even got Darude, ATB, and BT music :), vast enjoyability in a diverse world of music.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
i believe lyrics play a huge part in a lot of songs... maybe the entire part of a lot of songs. I just dont believe it needs to be the focal point. Im an instrumentalist... most of the metal i write doesnt have vocals in mind lol. Im far more interested in music than lyrics. but in saying that i to love great vocals (lyrics mean nothing to me as far as musicality goes). Music (melody and harmonies) can evoke emotions that words cant even describe, thats basically my point.

I do have to agree that i dont particularly like the vocals in my band... its not really the style of metal i listen to, but its fun to play none the less. Im more inclined to like deep rhythmic growls (like the bands i listed above) than the screams in the band im in.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I grew up in a "Christian enforced" family
listened to just radio.etc
then when i got into Public school system 7th grade+
changed.. of course, got hooked on Korn.. then Hypocrisy..
then on and on.. seemed like each new band, i got to know/learn was heavier than the last
or more interesting in general.
i have to say also, EBM, Industrial music, metal plus its subsidiaries etc are what i listen to
i even got Darude, ATB, and BT music :), vast enjoyability in a diverse world of music.

Phil collins is one of my favourite musicians :49:

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice man. whatever music you make Skeptic, youll always have a fan ;)