• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Which sport produces the most supreme athlete?

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wouldn't MMA make a greater athlete due to its wider scope of training (strikes, etc)? Freestyle wrestling being incorporated in the sport as well. Either way I have no doubt that its a combat sport that will be the right choice.

you know i don't really disagree with the selection of the elite level MMA fighter. it definetly is imo between the NFL player and the MMA fighter. i still lean towards the NFL player because they posses the overall best athletic ability in terms of speed, power and performance, meaning, they have the best athleticism. no doubt the MMA fighter has this too, however i believe the football player has more. and if you're going to factor in such things like striking for the MMA fighter, is it not fair then that you factor in the throwing/catching ability of the football player? striking is a skill just like catching/throwing is, and i thought you said we aren't factoring those things into the equation.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
you know i don't really disagree with the selection of the elite level MMA fighter. it definetly is imo between the NFL player and the MMA fighter. i still lean towards the NFL player because they posses the overall best athletic ability in terms of speed, power and performance, meaning, they have the best athleticism. no doubt the MMA fighter has this too, however i believe the football player has more. and if you're going to factor in such things like striking for the MMA fighter, is it not fair then that you factor in the throwing/catching ability of the football player? striking is a skill just like catching/throwing is, and i thought you said we aren't factoring those things into the equation.

When I mentioned striking I meant it purely as a means of training speed, reflexes and coordination. I also believe that an NFL player would begin to lose agility and endurance due to their reliance on mass for greater striking power. A light-heavyweight MMA fighter would be much more agile than an NFL player who I am guessing would weigh in something similar to a heavy-weight...

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wouldn't MMA make a greater athlete due to its wider scope of training (strikes, etc)? Freestyle wrestling being incorporated in the sport as well. Either way I have no doubt that its a combat sport that will be the right choice.

Well, MMA not as much simply because a lot of the time is spent in the "guard" position.... the jabs can keep someone off balance, and such. Freestyle wrestling is incorporated, but it's more total action, quicker (in wrestling, you know shoots are coming, but you still need to be quick enough to get it). The conditioning I'd argue is much harder, probably more strength, and so on.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I mentioned striking I meant it purely as a means of training speed, reflexes and coordination. I also believe that an NFL player would begin to lose agility and endurance due to their reliance on mass for greater striking power. A light-heavyweight MMA fighter would be much more agile than an NFL player who I am guessing would weigh in something similar to a heavy-weight...

good point. but i'm not talking about power runners really when i speak of the NFL running back, i'm talking of a guy that is fast as daylight, strong, tough as shit to take down, and agile, someone along the lines of an adrian peterson or reggie bush circa USC days. but i can see striking from an athletic standpoint too, but really thats the only thing they have on the NFL player, and the NFL player doesn't train for it so it's kind of hard to count it against them.

that's another thing i think we should factor in, do you think a guy like john st pierre would be as good a running back as adrian peterson would be an MMA fighter? like if we theoritically switched sports on them, who would do better? i without hesitation fully believe adrian would be a far far better MMA fighter than JSP would be a running back, i think that says something in terms of raw athletic talent.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
that's another thing i think we should factor in, do you think a guy like john st pierre would be as good a running back as adrian peterson would be an MMA fighter? like if we theoritically switched sports on them, who would do better? i without hesitation fully believe adrian would be a far far better MMA fighter than JSP would be a running back, i think that says something in terms of raw athletic talent.

I wouldn't doubt St Pierre's raw talent, when he took up wrestling he got so good that he was offered a position in the Canadian Olympic wrestling team. I don't know anything about Adrian Peterson so I can't compare them in terms of raw athletic talent but I'd daresay that although Peterson would have some amazing speed he would still lose out due to not having developed his capabilities for purposes other than catching, running and dodging. That's what I think. :xmashsughdunno:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Well, MMA not as much simply because a lot of the time is spent in the "guard" position.... the jabs can keep someone off balance, and such. Freestyle wrestling is incorporated, but it's more total action, quicker (in wrestling, you know shoots are coming, but you still need to be quick enough to get it). The conditioning I'd argue is much harder, probably more strength, and so on.

Noted.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wouldn't doubt St Pierre's raw talent, when he took up wrestling he got so good that he was offered a position in the Canadian Olympic wrestling team. I don't know anything about Adrian Peterson so I can't compare them in terms of raw athletic talent but I'd daresay that although Peterson would have some amazing speed he would still lose out due to not having developed his capabilities for purposes other than catching, running and dodging. That's what I think. :xmashsughdunno:

you only spoke of peterson's downfalls in MMA, and i agree. but now be fair in your assesment and please give us the negatives that JSP would have fairing as the NFL running back. JSP would get annihilated in the NFL, peterson would at least put up a fight based off his amazing physical talents.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
you only spoke of peterson's downfalls in MMA, and i agree. but now be fair in your assesment and please give us the negatives that JSP would have fairing as the NFL running back. JSP would get annihilated in the NFL, peterson would at least put up a fight based off his amazing physical talents.

St Pierre would be fast on his feet and quick with his hands and have split second reflexes, why couldn't he be good at NFL? :xmashsughdunno:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Duality and his hard on for Adrian Peterson again :xmaseek3ugh:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i'm still baffled at how you don't at least partially think the NFL player takes this billing. to me this is a no brainer.
Hate to break it to you but these guys are no where near as fit and agile as other footy codes. If plays last for more than a few seconds at a time these guys get pulled off for a rest, or start getting lost on the field.

Take a look at the quick changes of play and position that have to occurr in all other footy codes in comparison. Look at the length of time those guys spend on field in motion actually playing the game. NFL can't come close, they are only very short burst athletes.

Not that I don't love watching NFL. biggrinsanta I thought it would be boring but having seen a few games I get it now. Still get frustrated with the continual stoppages and single pass BS.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP

Lol :keke:

I'm going to actually have to agree with you IS. Wrestling would be a more full on sport... I used to do Judo and all the time you were changing between attack and defence and you never had time to rest like you might in the guard position.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lol :keke:

I'm going to actually have to agree with you IS. Wrestling would be a more full on sport... I used to do Judo and all the time you were changing between attack and defence and you never had time to rest like you might in the guard position.

2 minutes in an actual freestyle wrestling match has got to be the most grueling task there is.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
2 minutes in an actual freestyle wrestling match has got to be the most grueling task there is.

I'll bet its similar to Judo groundwork. The amount of time spent under tension there is agonising. :xmaswtfgay:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

lol, he's the best example i have besides a reggie bush from USC.

freako, JSP would not fair well in the least in the NFL due to his lack of size, stature, and power. there's no weight classes in the NFL, doesn't matter how much you weigh, if you're the best, you're going to see field time and compete. there's no lightweight NFL division (or whatever weight class he is in, i can't remember right now), so JSP would be sent packing.

and also may i add i don't disagree with the notion that freestyle wrestling may indeed produce the best athlete. i think it is very close between the NFL player and the aforementioned.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
lol, he's the best example i have besides a reggie bush from USC.

freako, JSP would not fair well in the least in the NFL due to his lack of size, stature, and power. there's no weight classes in the NFL, doesn't matter how much you weigh, if you're the best, you're going to see field time and compete. there's no lightweight NFL division (or whatever weight class he is in, i can't remember right now), so JSP would be sent packing.

St Pierre could always bulk up dude... he's 5'10 so he isn't too short.

I'm going to put it to you as straight as I can, NFL WILL NOT produce the best best athlete. Period.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
St Pierre could always bulk up dude... he's 5'10 so he isn't too short.

I'm going to put it to you as straight as I can, NFL WILL NOT produce the best best athlete. Period.

and i'm going to make it as simple as possible for you, NFL will ALWAYS produce some of the finest athletes in the world and would be neck and neck with MMA and freestyle wrestling for the best overall athlete. period. deal with it.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
and i'm going to make it as simple as possible for you, NFL will ALWAYS produce SOME OFthe finest athletes in the world.

Not the best though...

and would be neck and neck with MMA and freestyle wrestling for the best overall athlete. period. deal with it

No chance dude. :xmasslap: