• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Your main source of protein?

What is your main source of protein?

• Total voters
Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
-Tuna
-Tilapia
-Eggs
-Chicken
-Ground Turkey
-Whey

Choosing only 3 it would be eggs, chicken, and whey.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If growth is my goal then it is beef and egg whites. If health and longevity is my goal then I would say Spinach and other whole food plant proteins.

You realise that those studies about vegetarian diets and longevity (etc) are fundamentally flawed don't you?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You realise that those studies about vegetarian diets and longevity (etc) are fundamentally flawed don't you?

Ummm, I'm interesting in proving wrong some skinny friends of mine, could you post some link to these studies?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

you realize that the correlation between a high meat based diet increases the likely hood of gastric cancers drastically don't you? You realize that igf-1 is a measure of cancer like cholesterol is for heart disease don't you? you realize that igf-1 increases with increased animal protein consumption don't you? You realize that antioxidant and vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients all have correlations with decreasing cellular mutations and cellular damage don't you? You realize that all of thos enutrients are found in plant foods originally don't you? You realize that I made that claim based on more than one book you don't like. You realize that don't you Tim?

You would do good to stop treating everyone like they are ignorant and ask what they know as apposed to assuming what they know. Nutrition is my career. I have ready hundreds of studies about disease and nutrition, per the requirement of my job. I do not make junk science based claims. You realize that nutrition is a larger catalyst for disease than genetics are, due to the fact that you can control disease causing gene expression through the diet? The science based practice of controlling gene expression with nutrition is called nutritional genomics.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Chicken mostly.

Also cereal and fish

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you realize that the correlation between a high meat based diet increases the likely hood of gastric cancers drastically don't you? You realize that igf-1 is a measure of cancer like cholesterol is for heart disease don't you? you realize that igf-1 increases with increased animal protein consumption don't you? You realize that antioxidant and vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients all have correlations with decreasing cellular mutations and cellular damage don't you? You realize that all of thos enutrients are found in plant foods originally don't you? You realize that I made that claim based on more than one book you don't like. You realize that don't you Tim?

You would do good to stop treating everyone like they are ignorant and ask what they know as apposed to assuming what they know. Nutrition is my career. I have ready hundreds of studies about disease and nutrition, per the requirement of my job. I do not make junk science based claims. You realize that nutrition is a larger catalyst for disease than genetics are, due to the fact that you can control disease causing gene expression through the diet? The science based practice of controlling gene expression with nutrition is called nutritional genomics.

Ben, I wasn't trying to be insulting. Your statement that you eat vegetarian at times to lessen cancer risk is flawed and you would be aware of this. It came off as naive, which I know you aren't. As such I wanted you to further the thought process.

The cancer link associated with red meat is overstated as it assumes a lot of other things, like under-consumption of antioxidents, fruits, vegetables (fibre in general), etc. In fact the big correlation study that eveyone likes to reference when they say red meat is bad is actually more an indictment against being an overweight, overeating, inactive smoker, who doesn't know what unprocessed food looks like. This is just another example of correlation being used as causation. Yes there are by-products from red meat that can cause all sorts of problems, but then again there are plenty of foods, even water, that has side-effects.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ben, I wasn't trying to be insulting. Your statement that you eat vegetarian at times to lessen cancer risk is flawed and you would be aware of this. It came off as naive, which I know you aren't. As such I wanted you to further the thought process.

The cancer link associated with red meat is overstated as it assumes a lot of other things, like under-consumption of antioxidents, fruits, vegetables (fibre in general), etc. In fact the big correlation study that eveyone likes to reference when they say red meat is bad is actually more an indictment against being an overweight, overeating, inactive smoker, who doesn't know what unprocessed food looks like. This is just another example of correlation being used as causation. Yes there are by-products from red meat that can cause all sorts of problems, but then again there are plenty of foods, even water, that has side-effects.

I eat the large majority of my calories from fruits and vegetables, yes. I do eat meat from time to time but it is infrequently. I do not think that if someone eats vegetables form time to time it will lessen cancer risk. I know what the research in cancer prevention shows and that is that when fruits and vegetables make up at least 70% of dietary calories cancer, heart disease, diabetes and diseases with strong lifestyle links in them digress when the disease is not in its late stages, and the frequencies of these life style influenced diseases goes down drastically when the higher plant based diet is ingested. Growth is slower on a plant based diet when compared to a high protein animal food diet. Cellular mutations occur less frequently with higher antioxidant intake. All i am saying is something you agree with, the metabolic waste produced by animal foods is harmful and the nutrition provided by animal food can be provided by plant foods. The effects of plant foods are beneficial, as far as we know, and they can sustain life alone. Animal foods do one thing astonishing well, provide protein.

The biggest point I wanted to get across was that fruits and vegetables are the primary sources of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants, fiber. Plant do possess the essential nutrients for cellular metabolism including protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Plant foods do not contain protein as densely as animal foods, but almost all plant foods are nutritional multitaskers. Plant foods contain some nutrition from all 5 categories.

Animal foods are not nutrient multitaskers. The negative effects of animal foods need to be balanced with plant foods bc animal foods do not offer adequate nutrition to sustain health when eaten by them selves. Animal foods are more calorie dense and less nutrient dense when compared to plant foods. Animal foods are a source of cholestrol/fats and protein. Animal foods offer no fiber, they offer low amounts of vitamins and minerals, they offer no measurable amount of phytonutrients and antioxidants. If used appropriately meat can be great, but the large majority of calories, studies suggest 70% of calories, should come from plant foods if disease prevention is the goal.

That is the point I care to make.

Last edited:
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I'm not at the same level than any of you two here, this is by no means my field but I read a few weeks ago some sort of meta-study regarding red meat and health issues and it claimed (most) previous papers flawed because they were based on proccessed food consumption, not "raw" red meat. Health issues could be linked to the excess of salt (and other kinds of shit) they put into packaged foods which is not present in meat itself.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
K

Kerryb

My main source of protein comes from good old muscle tech 60g a day.Then coming in second will be 52g of protein from tuna.The rest of my protein will come from just about anything else.

L

llrxyou

Egg protein most direct point of view, I agree“Good ole chicken.”

DomDom

DomDom

Chicken as well for me. I would use whey all the time but it would cost me too much. (Not mentioning the farts I get after my PWM with glucose) :D

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Chicken as well for me. I would use whey all the time but it would cost me too much. (Not mentioning the farts I get after my PWM with glucose) :D
Yeah, that happens to me too.

Turkey is good too sometimes if you get sick of chicken.

S

spinyvegeta

I never get sick of chicken. Grilled up on Sunday every week

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
I like to switch it up when I can with turkey breast or sometimes salmon or other fish. I am not trying to build massive muscle though so my needs are a little different probably. Chicken is good though for sure and is even good just grilled with nothing at all added.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Grilled chicken breast? I never get bored of that either. Especially when I was dieting and all I was thinking was "my next meal" lol.