Hi, is this your first visit to MuscleMecca?
Register
  • The Facebook Platform
Page 235 of 242 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 4,213 to 4,230 of 4349
  1. #4213
    Mecca V.I.P. Anabolicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,283
    Saving Private Ryan

    I never get tired of watching it.


    New MOTM October 2009
    My lifting videos



    •   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

      MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Muscle Building Community

        

        
        Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors




  2. #4214
    Chaos reigns. Line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    32
    Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Cork View Post
    Inception....Line, I disagre with you wholeheartedly. Respectfully of course. 9/10 at least.

    It was a total reality bender like the first Matrix. Forget Dark Knight, this movie is Christopher Nolan's best. It's long, but every minute is important. The final 45 minutes is just 1 tense moment after another. I was literally on the edge of my seat and I've never done that.
    This is all well and good, but I don't pay any heed to how little of one's seat is required to view a film. I'd contend that Memento is still Nolan's best, even if, like in Inception, the goal of the protagonist supersedes any case for mortality that one could make. In other words, we're asked to accept the main character's motives as perfunctorily pure regardless of how it relates to the world, and society, at large. Inception really isn't any different, except it's shot worse (seriously, Nolan's already regressed from The Dark Knight when he's shooting actual action and not CGI spectacle) and is too consciously ambiguous to say anything of real relevance about the power of dreams, the tenets of memory, the implementation of ideologies, or the importance of having a grasp on reality. To me, it's not enough to be simply provoke anymore; we must understand the sources of these provocations as they apply to our own realities. Instead of expounding upon anything of the sort, Nolan makes a Rubik's Cube of a film that, upon being solved, changes colors to further frustrate the viewer. Granted, I believe I know the "solution," if it could so be called, and do think that the clues within the film hint toward one, definitive solution. But even that elucidation still leaves me unfulfilled. An intelligent, challenging film isn't one that merely promotes discussion as to how it could be interpreted if these interpretations say nothing of application about either A) life or B) cinema and art. Sure, it may give us something to talk about for a while, but we're ultimately left with nothing but some masturbatory chin-stroking on what the most superficial aspects of a film are, even if these superficialities are buried deep under an overtly complex narrative.


    Last edited by Line; 07-20-2010 at 01:32 PM.
     


  3. #4215
    Mecca Maniac Cork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    33
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    479
    See, I'm not on your level, Line, and I guess my first mistake was to contradict your review as if I were equal or better at judging movies than you. You served me, and I deserved it.

    You're Ebert, I'm Mystery Science Theater.

    I thought a lot of the scenes were filmed well, especially the one with the fight in the hotel hallway with the altering gravity. That was awesome. What I really enjoyed was the main characters plot and how the main plot really hinged on his sub plot. For all the twists and turns and realities within others, it fit together really well. It had it's comedic relief and it had some great moments that really made you think. Great performances by the cast and great effects. I feel it was really well put together.

    Memento was alright. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember my lasting impression to be along the lines of "Eh, that was decent."


     


  4. #4216
    Chaos reigns. Line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    32
    Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Cork View Post
    See, I'm not on your level, Line, and I guess my first mistake was to contradict your review as if I were equal or better at judging movies than you. You served me, and I deserved it.

    You're Ebert, I'm Mystery Science Theater.

    I thought a lot of the scenes were filmed well, especially the one with the fight in the hotel hallway with the altering gravity. That was awesome. What I really enjoyed was the main characters plot and how the main plot really hinged on his sub plot. For all the twists and turns and realities within others, it fit together really well. It had it's comedic relief and it had some great moments that really made you think. Great performances by the cast and great effects. I feel it was really well put together.

    Memento was alright. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember my lasting impression to be along the lines of "Eh, that was decent."
    We judge movies differently. I wasn't so much trying to discredit your opinion of the film as I was offering my own and did my best in refraining from talking about how you saw the movie and, instead, focused on how I saw it. You don't have to concede superiority to me in any way, as I was just explaining my qualms with one particular movie. These days I'd only ever get personal or try to discredit someone if they became overtly hyperbolic and adamant of their opinion being right, which certainly wasn't the case with you. Films are art. I don't think Inception is exceptionally good art. But you do, and that's fine too. I just think that, at some point, we need to look beyond the way we react to a film and think about more why we're reacting that way. That's all.


     


  5. #4217
    Team Winklaar Pickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    32
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    4,633
    broof on the roof.

    i see inception tommorrow. Its a project he has been working on for 20 years, if any movie has the potential to be art its this one.


    This space is intentionally left blank, DO NOT type in the space.

    OK.
    -Line


  6. #4218
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    We judge movies differently. I wasn't so much trying to discredit your opinion of the film as I was offering my own and did my best in refraining from talking about how you saw the movie and, instead, focused on how I saw it. You don't have to concede superiority to me in any way, as I was just explaining my qualms with one particular movie. These days I'd only ever get personal or try to discredit someone if they became overtly hyperbolic and adamant of their opinion being right, which certainly wasn't the case with you. Films are art. I don't think Inception is exceptionally good art. But you do, and that's fine too. I just think that, at some point, we need to look beyond the way we react to a film and think about more why we're reacting that way. That's all.
    One man's trash is another man's art.

    I've been having this same look at art/entertainment mediums of late due to my change in reading habits. I'm actually a little sick of the overtly arty literature and movies as they fail to be entertaining. But then again the problem with that is that some people are entertained by this overtly omphaloskepsis odium.


    Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off


  7. #4219
    Chaos reigns. Line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    32
    Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,853
    Being entertained is for the plebes. We must progress!


     


  8. #4220
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    Being entertained is for the plebes. We must progress!
    Yes. Nothing better than being able to sit in the campus coffee house closest to the Arts Faculty and discuss the artistic merit of the benign dross they believe to be the most intellectually stimulating thing they have seen since Star Wars.


    Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off


  9. #4221
    Mecca V.I.P. Anabolicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,283
    The Ghost Writer (2010) - 8/10


    New MOTM October 2009
    My lifting videos


  10. #4222
    Mecca V.I.P. Anabolicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,283
    Date Night - 6/10

    I'm thinking of watching American Psycho. Anyone of you recommend it?


    New MOTM October 2009
    My lifting videos


  11. #4223
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    ^^ Yes. I really enjoyed it. Bale is spot on, and it is one of the few film-book adaptations that is better than the book.


    Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off


  12. #4224
    Ron Paul FTW Tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    Being entertained is for the plebes. We must progress!
    I just had this argument with my ladyfriend last night. She called me a snob because I never seem to enjoy any of the movies we watch. She's the type of person who enjoys 90% of the movies she watches. Meanwhile, I'm the type of person who only likes about 10% of the movies I watch. She also makes fun of me because I rely to heavily on RottenTomatoes.

    Maybe I'm just a picky person, but I rarely watch a film to be entertained. If I want to be entertained, I go on 4Chan. lol.


     


  13. #4225
    Chaos reigns. Line's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    32
    Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,853
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    Yes. Nothing better than being able to sit in the campus coffee house closest to the Arts Faculty and discuss the artistic merit of the benign dross they believe to be the most intellectually stimulating thing they have seen since Star Wars.
    If anyone described Star Wars as intellectually stimulating I'd probably smack them. Art dissection doesn't need to be droll, especially if you're one of those people that appreciate, you know, language and can have fun with rhetoric. Yes, lingual gymnastics, both in conversation and in type, is my idea of fun. I don't wish this hellish life on anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anabolicus View Post
    I'm thinking of watching American Psycho. Anyone of you recommend it?
    Yes...
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    ^^ Yes. I really enjoyed it. Bale is spot on, and it is one of the few film-book adaptations that is better than the book.
    ...but I wouldn't go this far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech
    I just had this argument with my ladyfriend last night. She called me a snob because I never seem to enjoy any of the movies we watch. She's the type of person who enjoys 90% of the movies she watches. Meanwhile, I'm the type of person who only likes about 10% of the movies I watch. She also makes fun of me because I rely to heavily on RottenTomatoes.

    Maybe I'm just a picky person, but I rarely watch a film to be entertained. If I want to be entertained, I go on 4Chan. lol.
    Ha, I'm more or less the same and it's been a problem before in terms of relationships, even budding ones. When I write reviews I tend to be somewhat ruthless toward films I don't like. Girls don't seem to appreciate this. My last Twilight review alone garnered at least three, "I'm never talking to you about movies again" speeches. Said speeches usually start with them saying, "I read your [insert shitty movie here] review..." followed by a long, awkward silence where they don't expect me to ask them what they thought of it, they're just using the time to stare at me menacingly. And yes, I too go to 4chan to be entertained, though certain boards just keep


    Oh, and for those who have seen Inception (Spoilers. Highlight to see. I guess the spoiler tags are gone):

    My money's on the whole film being a dream, his wife being right (her "suicide" actually kicked her back to reality, and even if that top is going over at the end, it doesn't change the fact that it was Mal's totem and he could picture it going over if he wanted to. Cobb broke every rule he laid out regarding how not to get lost in one's sub-conscious and there's nothing to suggest that he was indeed returning to reality sans that schmaltzy "Welcome home" greeting he got from the guy at the airport and him actually seeing his kids' faces again.


    Last edited by Line; 07-21-2010 at 05:32 PM.
     


  14. #4226
    Ron Paul FTW Tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    Ha, I'm more or less the same and it's been a problem before in terms of relationships, even budding ones. When I write reviews I tend to be somewhat ruthless toward films I don't like. Girls don't seem to appreciate this. My last Twilight review alone garnered at least three, "I'm never talking to you about movies again" speeches. Said speeches usually start with them saying, "I read your [insert shitty movie here] review..." followed by a long, awkward silence where they don't expect me to ask them what they thought of it, they're just using the time to stare at me menacingly. And yes, I too go to 4chan to be entertained, though certain boards just keep
    I finally downloaded and watched the first two Twilight films to appease my g/f. She loved them, and I of course hated everything they stood for. Same goes for any and all romantic comedies.

    I'm just far too cynical to enjoy those mindless movies. It's not so much that these films (like romantic comedies) are corny and boring, what frustrates me is the fact that I know the only reason those movies are made is to make money.


     


  15. #4227
    Mecca V.I.P. Anabolicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    ^^ Yes. I really enjoyed it. Bale is spot on, and it is one of the few film-book adaptations that is better than the book.
    Finished watching it. Enjoyed it all the way through.


    New MOTM October 2009
    My lifting videos


  16. #4228
    Mecca V.I.P. Anabolicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,283
    The Wolfman

    Boring storyline. I also thought, this movie was about werewolves, not gorillas.


    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

    Witty, intellegent, funny, enjoyed it.


    New MOTM October 2009
    My lifting videos


  17. #4229
    Mecca V.I.P. Anabolicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,283
    The A-Team (2010)

    Didn't feel like A-Teamish at all. More like an exaggarated action film, although it had its funny moment and etc.


    Last edited by Anabolicus; 07-24-2010 at 07:09 AM.
    New MOTM October 2009
    My lifting videos


  18. #4230
    Team Winklaar Pickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    32
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    4,633
    Inception Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

    good story, im beginning to think Nolan cant write an ending though. 7.5 out of 10.


    This space is intentionally left blank, DO NOT type in the space.

    OK.
    -Line




    • MuscleMecca Sponsors

      MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Muscle Building,
      Power Lifting, Weight Training
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

        

        
         We stand behind our bodybuilding products and assure QUALITY






 

 

Similar Bodybuilding Threads

  1. Official Avatar (not the movie) Discussion.
    By dilatedmuscle in forum MuscleMecca HeadQuarters
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 08:31 AM
  2. The Last Foreign Movie You Watched?
    By Pain in forum Movies, Games, TV and Music
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 02:10 PM
  3. What movie have you watched the most?
    By Pain in forum Movies, Games, TV and Music
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 03:04 AM
  4. Last movie you watched on TV?
    By Pain in forum Movies, Games, TV and Music
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
  5. The best movie you watched this year?
    By Pain in forum Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 11:59 PM

collapse Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By agreeing to the above you are also agreeing to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Statement.