• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Suicide Grip..

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Last week some guy at my gym had a bench press accident and someone was saying that it was due to him using a "suicide grip", can someone explain to me what this is and maybe give a visual included? is this where the thumb is on the same side as the other knuckles? if so, this is how I always bench.. thanks

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
is this where the thumb is on the same side as the other knuckles? if so, this is how I always bench.. thanks
Yep, that's it. It's how I bench also.

:Badger:

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yep, that's it. It's how I bench also.

:Badger:

why do so many people claim that this form of grip is dangerous? im actually much stronger with this grip and i feel it takes a lot of pressure off my wrists.. i tried going back to the conventional grip and if feels very awkward.. do many pros use this grip? what are the pros and cons to it besides the ones i mentioned?

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
vid00189_0001300x224-1.jpg

I use the suicide grip too. As I see it, you will never drop the bar unless you get careless.
Another thing I noticed when looking at the picture is that I kinda turn my palms slightly, so my thumbs are pointing inwards more compared to the guy on the picture

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i too find the suicide grip comfortable however i`m making an educated guess and saying its actually worse for your wrists and i cannot explain my views without a picture.
even though i find the suicide grip comfortable i still use a normal grip

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i too find the suicide grip comfortable however i`m making an educated guess and saying its actually worse for your wrists and i cannot explain my views without a picture.
even though i find the suicide grip comfortable i still use a normal grip

some people on here know i had surgery on my hand about 2 yrs ago and i have scar tissue on my wrist as well, when I was getting back to training my wrist hurt so much I was about to give up totally.. then i tried the suicide grip and it was MUCH better, so educational guesses or no guesses, i know for a fact that it helps my wrist..

also Daniel, in that picture you posted, the guys wrist are angled a bit too much, I know it comes naturally to angle your wrist's like that but its actually not good when bench pressing, you have to try and make as little angle as possible when using this grip, i find that it takes a lot of practice and it feels awkward at first but it makes a world of a difference..

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im stronger with suicide grip but everything over 200lbs i use wrap thumb around grip. but since i quit doing bb benpress i don't really care right now lol

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just grab hold of the bar properly.

You have more control, because you are actually holding it; you can exert more power, because you are actually gripping the bar which encourages neural feedback (etc); you can't have the bar role out of your hands, as the thumb is in the way; and you will look less dorky because you will never have a video or gym moment when you wear the bar.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ agree, i use thumbs around bar, but also because my hands are really small, can't do suicide grip, bar would surely slip

I feel that i have much more control with a full grip