• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Are movies getting better or worse?

P

Pain

VIP
Something I've been thinking about. Even though there are still alot of good movies coming out these days, most of them aren't as good as what used to come out. Just look at the amount of remakes there are these days. Almost every classic movie has been remade.

What are your thoughts?

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
American movies are getting worse and worse every day, ive always been a fan of european films tho.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They're getting worse. It's sad really.

They have to make several parody films every year to keep film viewers in the theaters, and yes... remakes. :no:

P

Pain

VIP
Parody movies used to be my favorite film genre. Now, they're worthless.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
It's not so much that they're getting better or worse but that filmmakers are taking a different approach completely. It's hard for me to say that it's become more of a business than before but the bottom line seems to dictate what films are and aren't made a lot more than in prior years. So, because of this, some creative minds have been filtered out but a lot of good, independent directors are still having their voice heard. It seems to me that the creme de la crème de la crème are still worth seeking out but now you have to wade through a bit more garbage than before. That being said, the best films being put out now rival the best of any time.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In my honest believe the AMOUNT of movies being put out has just exploded. The percentage of good movies to bad movies might have lowered, but it probably has stayed around the same. It's just that there are far too many movies right now and "finding" the golden ones in the sea of shit that is this market has become quite a skill.

And I agree with Line completely. It is far more a business than an art, especially in the United States. How can an independent filmmaker with amazing ideas battle against the giants who mass produce shit at a constant rate ? It is quite amazing how they play us.

Quite sad. With more movies like DATE MOVIE coming out, people will stop going to the cinema. In return, the producers can only hope to bring more shit to gain MOAR money. Just looks at the SAW series.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's not so much that they're getting better or worse but that filmmakers are taking a different approach completely. It's hard for me to say that it's become more of a business than before but the bottom line seems to dictate what films are and aren't made a lot more than in prior years. So, because of this, some creative minds have been filtered out but a lot of good, independent directors are still having their voice heard. It seems to me that the creme de la crème de la crème are still worth seeking out but now you have to wade through a bit more garbage than before. That being said, the best films being put out now rival the best of any time.

I think there are defnitely more popcorn movies being made which are all about Michael Bay.:omgwtf: And that is down to the business of making a movie. But it isn't like good films aren't made, but they may be tampered with. I watched one recently where they had the Hollywood ending. It would have made more sense for the main character to die, but he improbably did live. Tampered with to leave audiences happy with the world.

I'd class Hollywood into two general film types; popcorn and Oscars season.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Parody movies used to be my favorite film genre. Now, they're worthless.

i second that. though i never really liked them anyways. but they are easily the trashiest genre/niche of film there is.

i think line's post on all of it is accurate. there's just a lot more lower quality films being made but there are still quality films in production. the ratio of good to bad is just lower because the bottom line is it's a business and sometimes bad films bring in money.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I had this conversation with a mate the other day. He made a good point in saying movie villains just aren't as evil as they used to be, and it was better when they weren't a recognizable face/name. Take bloodsport for example. I no it isn't a great movie by any means but the actor who played Chung Li was fucking heinous man. That guy actually scared me when I was little, but it could of been the fact that his pecs are like half the size of his body.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ The actor who played him was late 50's early 60's in that movie. Weightlifter and BBer.

He was recently in Kung Fu Hustle.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^He was 50 exactly, which totally blew me away when I found out because Van Dam was in his late 20's in that movie and they looked the same age.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I think almost everything has been explored..so close to everyone is repeating early seen movies in some way

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^He was 50 exactly, which totally blew me away when I found out because Van Dam was in his late 20's in that movie and they looked the same age.

50!!! I knew it was somewhere around that. Considering how good a shape he was in, says a lot for weightlifting, martial arts and BBing. I remember in Double Dragon when he was beating up Van Damme by throwing oil barrels at him after he had snatched them overhead.

Hell being 80 and doing an action film like Kung Fu Hustle shows just how good a shape he is in. Reminds me of a news article they had on an 80yr old that had been in a powerlifting comp. Apparently he'd been lifting his whole life as well. Showed him doing a clean and jerk with his BW, pretty decent.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I think almost everything has been explored..so close to everyone is repeating early seen movies in some way
There is a lot of repetition but you have to realize that because human cultural is never static that there are always new social ideas to consider when making a movie. Even films that are "about" the same subject on the surface (think boxing movies) can be about two completely different topics and thus take drastically different routes in expositioning them. I do think that the idea of being progressive as a filmmaker is essential to the growth of the medium though and it seems that oftentimes directors dare stray from conventional paths. It's frusturating, particularly when it's good directors (*cough* Scorsese *cough*) who are doing it.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Capitalist mentality has infected the art, much like everything else. Line has it dead to rights on. Everybodies got bills & House payment, taxes, etc..
But I also think complacency is the norm for most. If Marley & Me were to pan at the box office, then we wouldn't be subjected to that level of complacency. They make these shit fucking movies, cause there is enough dumb fucks who are all to eager to give their $ away for it. Not because someone had an artistic idea.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
50!!! I knew it was somewhere around that. Considering how good a shape he was in, says a lot for weightlifting, martial arts and BBing. I remember in Double Dragon when he was beating up Van Damme by throwing oil barrels at him after he had snatched them overhead.
He was in double dragon? I read on IMDB that he was a student of Bruce Lee, and I think he was in enter the dragon with him aswell.

I'd just like to know what chest exercises the guy does :omgwtf:

MrThinker

MrThinker

I feel movie are getting better for example compare Batman (1989) to The Dark Knight (2008). The quality of movies are getting better for Ex: The Little Mermaid (1989) to WALL·E (2008). We could never replace Classic movies like Scarface, Taxi Driver, Rocky to name a few but with today Classic like "I Am Legend", "Rambo (2008) which had an believe movie Plot and others I think it would be tough to say current movies are heading downhill.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He was in double dragon? I read on IMDB that he was a student of Bruce Lee, and I think he was in enter the dragon with him aswell.

I'd just like to know what chest exercises the guy does :omgwtf:
My bad I meant Double Impact. The J Van Damme movie where JVD plays his own brother.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Impact

Bolo was a weightlifter, powerlifter, martial artist and bodybuilder. So pretty fair to say that bench figured in there. He was apparently a mainland China powerlifting champ.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I feel movie are getting better for example compare Batman (1989) to The Dark Knight (2008). The quality of movies are getting better for Ex: The Little Mermaid (1989) to WALL·E (2008).
That's not really how it works...
MrThinker said:
but with today Classic like "I Am Legend", "Rambo (2008) which had an believe movie Plot and others I think it would be tough to say current movies are heading downhill.
:doh:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I wouldn't have compared Taxi Driver to Rambo either.