• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

Bananas

T

Tonka

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Messages
988
Points
36
Are they good for loosing weight fast because i heard they weren't but i may be wrong. They are loaded with potassium and what does that do exactly?
 
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
8,184
Points
63
Bananas has fast carbs...Its good after a workout and/or for fast energy





potassium (Calium)

1. What is it and where does it come from?


Potassium (K) is a mineral that performs many functions in the body. Dietary sources of fiber include: tomatoes, citrus fruit, beans, vegetables, milk, bananas and watermelon.

2. What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?

Potassium is utilized by the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system (ANS) controls heart beat, brain functions, and other crucial physiological processes. Potassium has been shown to help maintain healthy blood pressure1. Potassium plays a key role in the function of nerve firing [an involuntary physiologic response to stimuli], and the contraction of muscles. Potassium may help reduce muscle soreness that results from training. Any deficiency in potassium levels may result in decreased strength, and the early onset of exercise induced fatigue. Potassium helps to regulate water balance and is also needed for the synthesis of dietary proteins.

For individuals using diuretics, supplemental potassium can help ensure adequate levels exist within the body for use in the above mentioned processes.

3. Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?


Everyone. Signs of deficiency include a weak immune system, susceptibility to overtraining, and an increased need for supplemental glutamine.

4. How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?

If you are currently supplementing with potassium, or are considering supplementing with potassium, pay careful attention to how much fruit you are eating daily. Fruit contains a high amount of potassium and if you are supplementing with potassium, overdose is a possibility. Taking too much potassium can result in an upset stomach, flatulence, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and burping. An excessive amount of potassium can result in a heart attack.

Diabetics and persons with kidney failure should consult a qualified medical practitioner prior to the use of potassium supplements. Follow the directions as prescribed on the products label.
 
T

Tonka

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Messages
988
Points
36
ah good read thanks.
 
Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
5,621
Points
38
i eat one or two bananas a day !!! good stuff :xyxthumbs:
 
3

<3Frosty

Well-known member
Member
Joined
May 18, 2007
Messages
86
Points
6
Post workout shake will always have a banana for me. ALWAYS
 
Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2020
Messages
303
Points
18
I don't know if they help in losing weight .But I think bananas are good and nutritious and I don't think it can add bad fat to the body.what you should avoid is fast foods
 
sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2020
Messages
145
Points
18
I love my bananas. I normally take them with tea during breakfast, I love them with rice, but I love them mostly in my cereal of Weetabix. I simply add milk and sugar and I am good to go. They are fruits so I doubt they would have many side effects.
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff

Similar threads

Top