• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Beginner Seeking Advice on Free Weight Routine - Push/Pull/Legs Split

B

BlueFish78

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on a workout routine I've put together using information from Google, AI, and YouTube videos. While there's a lot of information out there, I'd really appreciate input from experienced people. Here's some context and my current planned routine:

A bit about me:
• I’ve been training for two months using only machines and want to now transition to MOSTLY free weights specifically only dumbbells and kettlebell
• Prior to this, I had a very sedentary lifestyle (Can’t do even one proper push-up)
• I want my workout sessions to be efficient and not too lengthy.
• My primary goal is to gain muscle for functional training, joint safety, and overall strength and health

Here’s the planned routine:

Push Day:
1. 30-45 Degree Incline Bench Press with Dumbbells (Chest)
2. Dumbbell Lateral Raises (Shoulders)
3. Dumbbell Overhead Press (Shoulders)
4. Incline Dumbbell Powerbomb (Triceps)

Pull Day:
1. Any exercise for lats – I tried lat pulldowns but didn’t feel them much. What dumbbell exercises do you recommend for lats?
2. Dumbbell Bent-over Row (Upper Back)
3. Alternating Standing Dumbbell Curls (Biceps)

Leg Day:
1. Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats (Quads)
2. Kettlebell Goblet Squats (Quads)
3. Standing Glutes Kickback Machine (Glutes)
4. Seated Leg Curl (Hamstrings)
5. Standing Calf Raises (Calves)
6. Leg Abductor (Abductors) (I’m interested in kickboxing and read that abductor and adductor exercises are beneficial.)
7. Leg Adductor (Adductors)

I have a few questions:
1. Is stretching necessary, and what are some good warm-up routines? When would I do them?
2. Are there any stability exercises you recommend? I’ve read that rotator cuff exercises are important. When would I do them?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have!
Thank you!

Reactions: TalkAdmin and Tren Twins
Junkless

Junkless

MuscleMecca Sponsors
Staff member
Sponsor
I personally would starti with cable exercises first to strengthen your stabilizer muscles for a few weeks before transitioning to free weights, jumping straight to dumbbells might be little risky at your stage

Reactions: Tren Twins
B

BlueFish78

I personally would starti with cable exercises first to strengthen your stabilizer muscles for a few weeks before transitioning to free weights, jumping straight to dumbbells might be little risky at your stage
Any specific cable exercises you recommend?
Also, if I would start with lower weights would that increase the safety? (instead of going first to cable)

Junkless

Junkless

MuscleMecca Sponsors
Staff member
Sponsor
Any specific cable exercises you recommend?
Also, if I would start with lower weights would that increase the safety? (instead of going first to cable)
It’s hard to give you proper advice without your age and size and over the internet but play it safe take your time. I’m a big guy and I use mainly cables and machines myself