• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

Beginner Seeking Advice on Free Weight Routine - Push/Pull/Legs Split

B

BlueFish78

New member
Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
2
Points
3
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on a workout routine I've put together using information from Google, AI, and YouTube videos. While there's a lot of information out there, I'd really appreciate input from experienced people. Here's some context and my current planned routine:

A bit about me:
• I’ve been training for two months using only machines and want to now transition to MOSTLY free weights specifically only dumbbells and kettlebell
• Prior to this, I had a very sedentary lifestyle (Can’t do even one proper push-up)
• I want my workout sessions to be efficient and not too lengthy.
• My primary goal is to gain muscle for functional training, joint safety, and overall strength and health

Here’s the planned routine:

Push Day:
1. 30-45 Degree Incline Bench Press with Dumbbells (Chest)
2. Dumbbell Lateral Raises (Shoulders)
3. Dumbbell Overhead Press (Shoulders)
4. Incline Dumbbell Powerbomb (Triceps)

Pull Day:
1. Any exercise for lats – I tried lat pulldowns but didn’t feel them much. What dumbbell exercises do you recommend for lats?
2. Dumbbell Bent-over Row (Upper Back)
3. Alternating Standing Dumbbell Curls (Biceps)

Leg Day:
1. Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats (Quads)
2. Kettlebell Goblet Squats (Quads)
3. Standing Glutes Kickback Machine (Glutes)
4. Seated Leg Curl (Hamstrings)
5. Standing Calf Raises (Calves)
6. Leg Abductor (Abductors) (I’m interested in kickboxing and read that abductor and adductor exercises are beneficial.)
7. Leg Adductor (Adductors)

I have a few questions:
1. Is stretching necessary, and what are some good warm-up routines? When would I do them?
2. Are there any stability exercises you recommend? I’ve read that rotator cuff exercises are important. When would I do them?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have!
Thank you!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Legit, TalkAdmin and Tren Twins
Junkless

Junkless

New member
Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2024
Messages
3
Points
3
I personally would starti with cable exercises first to strengthen your stabilizer muscles for a few weeks before transitioning to free weights, jumping straight to dumbbells might be little risky at your stage
 
  • Like
Reactions: Legit and Tren Twins
B

BlueFish78

New member
Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
2
Points
3
I personally would starti with cable exercises first to strengthen your stabilizer muscles for a few weeks before transitioning to free weights, jumping straight to dumbbells might be little risky at your stage
Any specific cable exercises you recommend?
Also, if I would start with lower weights would that increase the safety? (instead of going first to cable)
 
Junkless

Junkless

New member
Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2024
Messages
3
Points
3
Any specific cable exercises you recommend?
Also, if I would start with lower weights would that increase the safety? (instead of going first to cable)
It’s hard to give you proper advice without your age and size and over the internet but play it safe take your time. I’m a big guy and I use mainly cables and machines myself
 
Anabolix

Anabolix

MuscleMecca Sponsors
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 25, 2024
Messages
649
Points
28
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on a workout routine I've put together using information from Google, AI, and YouTube videos. While there's a lot of information out there, I'd really appreciate input from experienced people. Here's some context and my current planned routine:

A bit about me:
• I’ve been training for two months using only machines and want to now transition to MOSTLY free weights specifically only dumbbells and kettlebell
• Prior to this, I had a very sedentary lifestyle (Can’t do even one proper push-up)
• I want my workout sessions to be efficient and not too lengthy.
• My primary goal is to gain muscle for functional training, joint safety, and overall strength and health

Here’s the planned routine:

Push Day:
1. 30-45 Degree Incline Bench Press with Dumbbells (Chest)
2. Dumbbell Lateral Raises (Shoulders)
3. Dumbbell Overhead Press (Shoulders)
4. Incline Dumbbell Powerbomb (Triceps)

Pull Day:
1. Any exercise for lats – I tried lat pulldowns but didn’t feel them much. What dumbbell exercises do you recommend for lats?
2. Dumbbell Bent-over Row (Upper Back)
3. Alternating Standing Dumbbell Curls (Biceps)

Leg Day:
1. Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats (Quads)
2. Kettlebell Goblet Squats (Quads)
3. Standing Glutes Kickback Machine (Glutes)
4. Seated Leg Curl (Hamstrings)
5. Standing Calf Raises (Calves)
6. Leg Abductor (Abductors) (I’m interested in kickboxing and read that abductor and adductor exercises are beneficial.)
7. Leg Adductor (Adductors)

I have a few questions:
1. Is stretching necessary, and what are some good warm-up routines? When would I do them?
2. Are there any stability exercises you recommend? I’ve read that rotator cuff exercises are important. When would I do them?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have!
Thank you!
Your routine looks well-thought-out, especially for transitioning into free weights. Here’s some advice to refine it:

1. Lats Exercise: For dumbbells, try single-arm dumbbell rows or renegade rows, focusing on slow, controlled movements to really feel the lats engage. Kettlebell swings can also complement pull day as a dynamic back/posterior chain exercise.

2. Warm-Up & Stretching: Warm-ups are crucial to prepare your muscles and joints, prevent injury, and improve performance. Start with 5–10 minutes of light cardio (e.g., brisk walking, cycling) followed by dynamic stretches like arm circles, hip bridges, or bodyweight squats. Save static stretches for after your workout to improve flexibility.

3. Stability & Rotator Cuff Exercises: Adding stability work will enhance your joint health and functional strength. Include exercises like Turkish get-ups, farmer’s carries, or pallof presses in your warm-up or at the end of your workout. For rotator cuff health, try band external rotations or prone Y/T/Ws once or twice a week as accessory work.


4. Push-Ups Progression: Since you’re working on push-ups, incorporate negative push-ups (lower yourself slowly to the ground) or incline push-ups as part of your warm-up or push day to build strength.

Lastly, consistency is key, and as you advance, you might want to explore tracking your progress or adjusting volume. Check out our store for resources on supplements that can complement your training!
 
M

MasonCole

Member
Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2026
Messages
15
Points
3
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on a workout routine I've put together using information from Google, AI, and YouTube videos. While there's a lot of information out there, I'd really appreciate input from experienced people. Here's some context and my current planned routine:

A bit about me:
• I’ve been training for two months using only machines and want to now transition to MOSTLY free weights specifically only dumbbells and kettlebell
• Prior to this, I had a very sedentary lifestyle (Can’t do even one proper push-up)
• I want my workout sessions to be efficient and not too lengthy.
• My primary goal is to gain muscle for functional training, joint safety, and overall strength and health

Here’s the planned routine:

Push Day:
1. 30-45 Degree Incline Bench Press with Dumbbells (Chest)
2. Dumbbell Lateral Raises (Shoulders)
3. Dumbbell Overhead Press (Shoulders)
4. Incline Dumbbell Powerbomb (Triceps)

Pull Day:
1. Any exercise for lats – I tried lat pulldowns but didn’t feel them much. What dumbbell exercises do you recommend for lats?
2. Dumbbell Bent-over Row (Upper Back)
3. Alternating Standing Dumbbell Curls (Biceps)

Leg Day:
1. Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats (Quads)
2. Kettlebell Goblet Squats (Quads)
3. Standing Glutes Kickback Machine (Glutes)
4. Seated Leg Curl (Hamstrings)
5. Standing Calf Raises (Calves)
6. Leg Abductor (Abductors) (I’m interested in kickboxing and read that abductor and adductor exercises are beneficial.)
7. Leg Adductor (Adductors)

I have a few questions:
1. Is stretching necessary, and what are some good warm-up routines? When would I do them?
2. Are there any stability exercises you recommend? I’ve read that rotator cuff exercises are important. When would I do them?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have!
Thank you!
One thing I really wish I took more seriously earlier was mobility and stretching. Doesn’t have to be some huge routine, but even a few minutes loosening up your hips, shoulders, and upper back before training makes free weights feel so much better
 
Top