• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bicep tears and deadlifting

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Trying to find some articles on the incidence and reasons for bicep tears. Nothing really discusses grips or the like.

Free pdf of this article:
http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/reprint/67/3/418
Basically covers bicep tear surgery and recovery rates. The first table shows that in their study most tore the bicep while lifting. I couldn't see any mention of how they tore it while lifting, but I was skim reading.

This is a general article discussing injuries in PLing:
http://www.powerhousegym.co.nz/articles/justin_keogh_pl_injuries.pdf

This study does the same and was referenced by the above article:
Injury Incidence and Prevalence among Elite Weight and Power Lifters

1. Åse Raske, RPT*†‡ and
2. Rolf Norlin, MD, PhD†§

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to investigate the incidence and prevalence of injuries among elite weight lifters and power lifters, with a special focus on shoulder injuries and possible injury-provoking exercises. In 1995, a questionnaire was administered to 110 male and female elite lifters to evaluate injuries and training characteristics. A follow-up of the athletes from 1995 was conducted in 2000, and a new 2000 elite group was also queried. In 1995 and again in 2000, the athletes sustained, on average, 2.6 injuries per 1000 hours of activity. Most common in 1995 were low back injuries, with an injury rate of 0.43 per 1000 hours, and shoulder injuries, with a rate of 0.42 per 1000 hours. Shoulder injuries dominated in 2000, with an injury rate of 0.51 per 1000 hours of activity. There was a difference in injury pattern between weight lifters, who mostly sustained low back and knee injuries, and power lifters, in whom shoulder injuries were most common. No correlation was found between shoulder injuries and any specific exercise. Although the total injury rate was the same during the two periods of study, the rate of shoulder injuries had increased.
Basically the injuries to the biceps are really uncommon.

The knee and shoulder are more of a concern.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Of course it is activated as well, and of course you can injure other forearm flexors in many other ways.... Branch Warren tore his tricep walking down the stairs, does this mean that walking down the stairs is an exercise which puts the tricep at risk?
:49::49::49:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
interesting, i usually use all forms of grip
but last two sets if i do deads, i dont use any underhand grip..

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wow i think i shouldn't have watched this before going to gym now to train back :49:

i dunno i always use alternating grip, i never felt any heavy pressure or so at my bicep