• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

Bigger Lats

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,262
Points
38
Hey guys,

All right, so I've got a small problem here. I'm trying to develop bigger lats. Now normally I start off my workouts with 4 sets of pull-ups to get the blood flowing and warm up the back preparing for some heavy lifting. 90% of the time I use the widest grip and very strict form. I pull myself up (no bouncing) and go all the way down feeling the stretch. Normally my first set I only get around 12 reps, then about 8, 8 and 6 - something like that. I also stretch out my lats and back in between sets. I realize that a lot of this is also genetic, but I think that's a poor excuse. Maybe it could just be that this stuff takes a lot of time to build? Would you guys care to share some tips? Thanks. :thumbsup2:
 
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
10,145
Points
63
^^ lots of heavy barbell and dumbell rows man
 
atomic strenght

atomic strenght

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2007
Messages
275
Points
18
barbell rows and heavy deadlifts.always think of contracting back muscles not lifting the weight.hold a lil bit then lower the bar.i got some good results training them this way.
 
MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,941
Points
38
pullover machine man
 
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
2,487
Points
38
Personally, I hypothesize that a lot of weak muscle groups are due to poor activation of the desired muscle group and over activation of surrounding muscles. Really focus on pulling with the lats, make sure that your legs stay equal to or behind the hip as you pull up, and finally make sure that your elbows are not moving forward on the way up. It is very easy for me to feel this movement more in my bi's and shoulders if I am not paying attention.
 
pingu

pingu

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
342
Points
16
Deadlifts, chins, pullups, bb rows, cabelrows, +++..
2-3 times a week... it will grow.. :)
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
Some points:

Wide grip is overrated (and possible hard on the shoulder). Comfortable grip is better.

Activation exercises can help a lot. If you have a low chinup bar or a smith machine where you can do lat shrugs while still having your feet on the ground partially supporting your weight, then ideal.

Lats are lower down on the back than most people expect. Teres Major is what a lot of people are thinking of when they talk about lats.

Back can handle more volume than most other bodyparts.

It is important to hit the middle and lower trapezius. Without them you won't get proper scapular position and thus poor lat movement.

Train the back through at least 3 planes of motion: horizontal, rows; vertical, chins/pullups; dynamic planes, various pulls like cleans, deadlifts, front levers, pullovers, etc.
 
Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,262
Points
38
Thanks for the answers guys I really appreciate it!

The Creator - sometimes I have the same problem as well doing pull-ups. I feel my biceps and shoulders are doing most of the work. I'll take your advice though!

EDIT: I put up a new avatar of my back lat spread you guys can see what I mean. I'm a hardcore ectomorph through and through! :( :crymeariver: :sadface:
 
Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
4,193
Points
36
Some points:

Wide grip is overrated (and possible hard on the shoulder). Comfortable grip is better.

Activation exercises can help a lot. If you have a low chinup bar or a smith machine wear you can do lat shrugs while still having your feet on the ground partially supporting your weight, then ideal.

Lats are lower down on the back than most people expect. Teres Major is what a lot of people are thinking of when they talk about lats.

Back can handle more volume than most other bodyparts.

It is important to hit the middle and lower trapezius. Without them you won't get proper scapular position and thus poor lat movement.

Train the back through at least 3 planes of motion: horizontal, rows; vertical, chins/pullups; dynamic planes, various pulls like cleans, deadlifts, front levers, pullovers, etc.

this.
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
3,384
Points
38
Hey Johnny man, like you said it's mostly genetic but that doesn't mean you can't improve what you got! :)

Tim nailed it...

Tim said:
Some points:

Wide grip is overrated (and possible hard on the shoulder). Comfortable grip is better.

Activation exercises can help a lot. If you have a low chinup bar or a smith machine where you can do lat shrugs while still having your feet on the ground partially supporting your weight, then ideal.

Lats are lower down on the back than most people expect. Teres Major is what a lot of people are thinking of when they talk about lats.

Back can handle more volume than most other bodyparts.

It is important to hit the middle and lower trapezius. Without them you won't get proper scapular position and thus poor lat movement.

Train the back through at least 3 planes of motion: horizontal, rows; vertical, chins/pullups; dynamic planes, various pulls like cleans, deadlifts, front levers, pullovers, etc.
 
Deity

Deity

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
142
Points
16
Sternal Chins and Barbell Rows
the recipe for widebacked bros
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
x2
That one kicks ass! Upperbody squat, powerfull exercise!

:bowroflarms:

Pullover is a lameo version of a front lever, not even close to an "upper body squat".
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
^Care to explain how it works the shoulders or arms? Or how you can load it extra heavy?

If there is truly an "upper body squat" then it is not a pullover and it is definitely not done on machine.
 
cereal

cereal

Well-known member
Member
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
342
Points
18
HIT loads it extra heavy. There was a man I still trust.
 
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
3,384
Points
38
^And I know that man too. But you have to let him go. In the realms of the real world, science wins over what somebody did/does and gets results from.

Pull-overs are crap, unless you don't have any biceps and can't do compounds.

Compounds are the way to go...
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
HIT loads it extra heavy. There was a man I still trust.

HIT = Fail for lazy bastards.

Extra heavy in HIT is an oxymoron.

So you trust a drug addict, neurotic that never achieved any success in the BBing world, who literally made himself mad with a cocktail of Ayn Rand and amphetamines??? You really picked a good idol to whorship there :borat:

You know I've just started up a business making graven images for idolators. I make Mike Mentzer statues out of premium grade male-bovine-excrement, sizes range from life-size to key chain versions. Whorship your idol in the manner befitting his memory.
 

Similar threads

Tiger Fitness
Replies
0
Views
565
Tiger Fitness
Tiger Fitness
Regan Grimes Feed
Replies
0
Views
57
Regan Grimes Feed
Regan Grimes Feed
Mind Pump TV
Replies
1
Views
73
jasonm_87
jasonm_87
Labrada Nutrition
Replies
0
Views
67
Labrada Nutrition
Labrada Nutrition
Top