• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

Bonus training.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
3,475
Points
38
I have a question. I want to add to my training, home training. By that I mean pull-ups and fist push-ups.

The idea behind this is that I have added about 5-6 kg of solid mass, while maintaining my body fat in about three months, no idea how the fuck I managed this since I did nothing special. Hey, I'm not unhappy.

The problem is, I used to be able to do 28 body-weight pull-ups and about 90-100 push-ups. Now not even half, even though I lift more weight. I don't understand the body mechanics behind the numbers, but if I am stronger, why can't I rep more ?

Anyway. I want to start a regimen. Each time I pass to my room I do a set number of pullups (I already installed a parallel bar right at the doorset. Each time I pass into the kitchen I do a set number of push ups. This of course as a bonus, because I wont stop exercising at the gym.

Will this help me gain more resistance and muscle ? Thoughts ? Should I do this ?
 
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
2,642
Points
63
Imo you should not. You could do some GPP as active recovery but the amount of pushups/pullups could be counterproductive for your strength training and recovery.
 
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
3,475
Points
38
Imo you should not. You could do some GPP as active recovery but the amount of pushups/pullups could be counterproductive for your strength training and recovery.

But what if I do the bonus training alternating.

Example, day one I train chest and triceps. That means home I will be doing only pull-ups as bonus training.

On day 2, I will do back and biceps, and bonus training halted, to rest the chest.

Day 3 legs, I would do push-ups as bonus training, since chest would be recovered by then.

Repit. Would that be better ? And what is GPP ?
 
Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
679
Points
16
Push-ups can be beneficial to chest developmene if they don't interfere with your regular chest training. I've seen gains on my chest size and bench press numbers, since I started doing them for military training.
 

Similar threads

Top