• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

boost my bench..

ryanbrown0087

ryanbrown0087

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
77
Points
6
i want to increase my bench press strength, and was thinking of doing a "boost your bench" program of some sort... anyone hear ever done such a program, or know of a good one? thanks again guys
 
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
10,145
Points
63
Ask Freako, i think he knows a thing or two
 
miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
5,778
Points
38
my buddy just had a article in muscle&fitness

its about getting strength & size..

a god think is do to benchpress on a power rack and use these metal sticks for security and put on super weight and push it 4-5 times or even less and have the bar pretty high so the rom is kinda short.. and week after week you set the bar lower to get more rom

also a good strength & size gainer is a 5x5 trainings concept.. you should find plenty of stuff here in the trainings section
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
i want to increase my bench press strength, and was thinking of doing a "boost your bench" program of some sort... anyone hear ever done such a program, or know of a good one? thanks again guys

Specialisation programs only work if you actually have a solid foundation of training and strength. Otherwise everything else starts to limit the specialisation programs and you won't see impressive results.

Unless you have been training a few years and achieved a 1.5xBW bench (preferably for reps) while still being able to do 1.5xBW row or chinups with 0.5xBW tied to you then the best thing you can do is work on a complete program.

Having said that Smolov, Westside and other periodised specialisation routines can be great if you have reached that level.
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
Ask Freako, i think he knows a thing or two

I'm mildly stoked that I'm considered a go-to-guy for bench. :thumbsup2:

As Tim said, what will work best for you will really depend on your current training level. If you're just a beginner and can barely push out your own body weight for 10 reps then you just need to keep on training and possibly train harder and more often.

If you're a more advanced trainer and you need a bench specific program then running Smolov Jr is good if you want a quickie program 3 week program, but be warned, the volume is brutal.

Westside Barbell Method is how I'm training currently and it is one of the best known powerlifting templates around. It involves splitting your training into ME (maximum effort) and DE (dynamic effort) days and supporting it with RE (repetitive effort) exercises. Use google to find other template versions.

A few simple tips to increase your bench.
  • Train your tris, a lot of power comes from your tris
  • Train your lats, you need a good support base.\
  • Train your bench more than once per week
  • Get your bench form right

Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
607
Points
18
If you don't already, listen to superhumanradio.com

The host has a guy on for two sessions about "building a bigger bench".

Both sessions are an hour long filled with basic, but great information. The guy on there is a strength training coach/powerlifter. He really knows his stuff. Give it a listen.
 
TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
1,235
Points
38
Freako has some good points. I'd say that technique is the biggest aspect of a strong bench, though. Anyways, there's probably no other book out there that is better for bench training than this one:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cork

Cork

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
470
Points
18
Pavel Tsatsouline offers up some good power techniques you can use in "The Naked Warrior". I've learned a lot from his writings and have had great strength increases.
 
miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
5,778
Points
38
try muscle tech products, there's some whey called nitrotech you can gain up to 20lbs solid muscle in couple weeks which also boosts your bench :D
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
D

Deebo53

Member
Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Messages
19
Points
1
I have messed around with a couple of things on my bench. I always hit a set of T bar Rows immediately after a set of bench, the blood flow to my back gives me some added pressure. I also have a narrow grip using a lot of tris. I always hit tris really hard it has helped me a lot
 

Similar threads

Top