• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Buckethead and Vai Suck

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know this is how I feel about a lot of his stuff. He's to eccentric in his playing to be really interesting a lot of the time. I don't think it has much to do with the technicallity or skill, but he plays a lot of weird stuff haha

And alot of the time it feels superfluous to the actual song itself.

Thomas Youngblood from Kamelot is actually a fantastic guitarist (I believe he has a masters degree in music) yet he reserves the high speed fretboard gymnastics for the songs that warrant it. I think that the weird stuff has its place but guys like Buckethead forget to create the correct place to use it.

But of course I'm not into noise-rock or noise-metal or avant-garde music. Probably much like I don't get into a lot of death and black metal. The more I listen to it though the more I can appreciate it. Always liked the metal = curry analogy.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
haha, there isn;t much soul in death metal, and Black metal never had one.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Soul players.
Stanley Jordan
That was awesome!!!!
John Butler
Meh. I've seen him live and I swear he writes music for tree-hugger-stoners. Not saying he doesn't write and play well, just not a fan.
Rob Martino playing a Chapman Stick
Not technically a guitar, but great anyway.
I haven't seen anyone play one of those before. Kinda like a cross between a kato and a guitar/lap steel. Awesome!

Cork

Cork

What about Micheal Angelo Batio from Nitro?

Speaking of embedding videos.... I suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yes you suck at embedding. Want to make some lame excuse like johnny5??

I've heard of Mike before, it is largely showmanship and the like. The guitar design and the way he plays it isn't much more than that. Not taking anything away from his skill and ability or course, just he could be doing the same stuff a number of other ways.

This is duel neck playing:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
wow, since when is a valid excuse lame?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wow, since when is a valid excuse lame?

Since it wasn't a valid excuse it was always lame.

There was only ever a short period on this forum that had pic/youtube links auto embedding, the rest of the time it has been mods and admins doing it. This period of time was not when you were arguing it occurred.

Stay on topic.

co05

co05

Couple more things to add:

Tim, I disagree with you on Satch. "Surfing With the Alien" is a pretty good tune, but by and large his catalog sounds mostly like cold, boring, calculated shred guitar (no offense if you're huge on Satch). Vai, at least, manages to throw being a weirdo in the mix.

That said, Paul Gilbert is probably the only shredder I can stand to listen to these days:

He's a solid, technical guitarist but doesn't push it in your face. He can write fun, energetic pieces with a kick ass riff or a sweet melody and composes them in a way that doesn't feel like you've been listening to guitar wanking for four minutes.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I'm a fan of Paul Gilbert :D

My fave Paul gilbert song, the solo is great!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm going to have to listen to some more Paul Gilbert. Haven't been aware of his material before. :xyxthumbs:

Couple more things to add:

Tim, I disagree with you on Satch. "Surfing With the Alien" is a pretty good tune, but by and large his catalog sounds mostly like cold, boring, calculated shred guitar (no offense if you're huge on Satch). Vai, at least, manages to throw being a weirdo in the mix.
I only own his Surfing with the Alien album. Some great material on there, although does sound very 80's crotch rock.

No doubt that he could have descended into boring and cliche. And being as your not the only one to say so, it is likely I shouldn't bother with any of his other albums.

Vai may bring weirdo to the mix, but I find it hard to sit through one of his songs without thinking "How long does this have to go?" Whereas I listen to an epic instrumental from blues, jazz, Dream Theater, Brian Setzer, Marc Pattison, Slava Grigoryan, or stuff like the Paul Gilbert you posted and I don't want it to end.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
co05

co05

Thought I'd share another awesome guitarist:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Definitely impressive, and interesting use of effects. Not sure his song writing quite fitted with some of the change-ups.

This guy has some skills and can compose some interesting stuff. Not sure that I like his songs though, but this one is an interesting display of a synth pedal I bought this year:

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well ive never actually listened to alot of buckethead but after checking this thread ive become a fan.

and ive always thought satriani as one of the best out there

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Tim, wat do you tink about John Frusciante?

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with the op. They are good in terms of being fast but there is little feeling.

The only really blazing fast guitarists that ever had the feeling there were like Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddy Vanhalen, maybe some others but they still do not stand as Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton. David Gilmore, etc. I hate when guitarist just focus on speed.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mark Knopfler is the best guitarist I've listen to in my life, even live at a show. He is just amazing, my fav artist.

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Mark Knopfler is the best guitarist I've listen to in my life, even live at a show. He is just amazing, my fav artist.
Yeah, he's good with a unique style too.

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used to listen to Joe Satriani. Just guitar, no singing. Have you guys ever heard him before?

Charlie

Charlie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dire straits was an awesome band!