• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

China as new world leader?

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lifterdead posted some very interesting points about the cultural differences in our society compared with those holding eastern values.

During my time studying engineering at a very multinational university I got to observe a great deal of Chinese academic behavior. I was at a point the president of the Engineering Society on campus. There were a large number of academic hearings that I had to attend wherein Chinese students were accused of attempted bribery and cheating. It was sad in some respects to see this happen, but also enlightening. As lifterdead touched upon, many of those students could not speak english on any level that would be considered passable. There were many cases of plagiarism in written reports due to that fact. Many of these students had horrendously high GPA's, near perfect. However when pushed to write a technical report, or a supplementary exam with close supervision they could not repeat their stellar performances.

We are often told that people in eastern countries are far out-pacing western students in terms of academic excellence and overall quantity of information learned. I often wonder about the validity of these statements given the performance of eastern students I have seen. My statement here is anecdotal, I don't pretend its a statistical study. At my school, I saw a great deal of cheating among the eastern students. I also saw a great disparity in the quality of their textbook work and their project work. When placed in a real world design situation, most of the eastern students I worked with failed to be creative enough to solve the problem. They could handle the math, but connecting the math and science to a real project seemed to pose a greater difficulty than for western students.

Now as for this conversation specifically, China is still a ways off of becoming a world power. They have all the pieces, but I believe they have demonstrated a lack creative design to solve modern issues needed to be considered a world power. Most of what you would consider the identifying characteristics of modern society are not Chinese in origin. Wireless communication was mostly developed in north america and europe. The personal computer is a north american invention. The internet again is north american in origin. The automobile, while its invention is a dispute, is popularization and sub-sequent manufacturing boom is north american in origin. Pharmaceutical advances have been perpetrated mostly by western countries. The western world is far more receptive to addressing climate and environment issues than china is.

Certainly China is not at the same stage of development as the western world. But the fact is, Western civilization has been a more defining factor around the world for a great many years, and China has not showed a great deal of new invention lately to be considered a leading power anytime soon.

pegasus

pegasus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:omgwtf:
Looks like the amount of debt america can handle is unlimited right?

Everyone has a limit. Sooner or later it will go bankrupt if it isn't already!!

pegasus

pegasus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
These predictions should be taken with a grain of salt. China will be able to expand via exports for only so long, eventually a time will come that the export markets will saturate and then things will slow down.

Anyways, I don't care at all what economists say and predict, cause 90% of the time they turn out to be wrong, and these same economists were ones who helped the banks fall as hard as they did.

P.S. Who cares any more if he's won a nobel prize, Obama too has got one :bitelip:

Last edited by a moderator:
pegasus

pegasus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good addition, it is amazing how we have these people who know what needs to be done. Or have realistic theories, yet the President surrounds himself with "spend spend spend!!" economists who should know their policies are going to destroy the U.S. dollar and economy. I am starting to think it is deliberate or just plain ignorance and stupidity.

These people are not stupid, the odds are that its deliberate. A lot of knowledgeable people think so too, they say its in someways similar how the elite in the roman empire who where first to realize that the fall is coming and started the luting way before the ordinary people realized, hence why they think the markets are being inflated so that they can get rid of their assets at a good price and move them to safer places before the big fall comes... :dunnodude:

fdelval

fdelval

These people are not stupid, the odds are that its deliberate. A lot of knowledgeable people think so too, they say its in someways similar how the elite in the roman empire who where first to realize that the fall is coming and started the luting way before the ordinary people realized, hence why they think the markets are being inflated so that they can get rid of their assets at a good price and move them to safer places before the big fall comes... :dunnodude:

sad but sounds like possible...
history repeats again and again, an empire is born, it grows, the empire bites more than it can chew and finally falls...

What makes me sick is the few people that get richer making a country fall just for their own profit.

p.s. Im about to watch the lattest Michael Moore film, i havent watched any other Moore's film, is it worth watching?

pegasus

pegasus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Don't waste your time watching that fat ass. Its ironic how he makes millions making a movie about capitalism and money being evil. I wonder what he'd be doing in the old USSR had he been born there, I highly doubt that he'd be making movies and getting rich off them.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
These predictions should be taken with a grain of salt. China will be able to expand via exports for only so long, eventually a time will come that the export markets will saturate and then things will slow down.

Anyways, I don't care at all what economists say and predict, cause 90% of the time they turn out to be wrong, and these same economists were ones who helped the banks fall as hard as they did.

P.S. Who cares any more if he's won a nobel prize, Obama too has got one

Pegasus, you idiot, did you even read the article? You just made yourself sound like an asshat.

He didn't win a nobel prize, he's against what 90% of the economists are saying. (In other words, the complete opposite of what you just posted.)

Read ENTIRE damn thing and then post something more intelligent....

pegasus

pegasus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pegasus, you idiot, did you even read the article? You just made yourself sound like an asshat.

He didn't win a nobel prize, he's against what 90% of the economists are saying. (In other words, the complete opposite of what you just posted.)

So instead of just reminding me to read the whole article you go out of your way to show what an asswipe you are.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So instead of just reminding me to read the whole article you go out of your way to show what an asswipe you are.

Next time just read the entire article before you reply.

:)

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I think this was uncalled for. I wouldn't expect you to make a comment like this towards someone. :omgwtf:

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think this was uncalled for. I wouldn't expect you to make a comment like this towards someone.

You're right, that was a little too harsh.