• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Eat Beets...

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew
Staff
Author
Beets (sometimes called beetroot) and beet juice help heart health and provide performance boosts to athletes by increasing levels of artery-relaxing nitric oxide. Relaxed arteries mean increased blood flow, which means better athletic performance. Russian and Eastern European countries’ teams have long treated their top athletes to beet stew/soup/borscht during training sessions and before competitions. American athletes finally picked up on that and have been doing it for a while, too.

But in addition to improved performance, there are many health boosts from beets and beet juice. The phytonutrients that give beets their deep crimson color have powerful anti-cancer properties, boost the immune system and help cleanse the liver. And now research has found that for seniors, drinking beet juice before working out may significantly increase exercise’s brain-boosting effects.

A recent study looked at 26 participants, mean age 65, who had a shot of beetroot juice one hour before a moderately intense, 50-minute treadmill workout. Those folks showed greater connectivity between the somatomotor cortex, a brain region associated with motor function, and the insular cortex, a brain region associated with cognitive functioning. The researchers said test subjects “had brain networks that more closely resembled those of younger adults.”

Source: http://www.kansas.com/living/health-fitness/article150528442.html

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is a good bit of information. Thanks for sharing it. The benefits of beetroot aren't a secret but it's always nice to hear its pronounced results that are actually motivating.

I am not a fan of beetroot to be honest but I do try to gobble it down whenever available just in the name of health.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pretty cool info indeed. I've tried it and it's not the most tasty thing I've eaten, but given the benefits I might give it another go.

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love beets! I dont get them much anymore! Guess i will have to put them on the groceries list!

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I eat a few every week but I'm not crazy them.

HorrorT

HorrorT

I love beets and salt the best...

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I see that eating your beets can have many healthy benefits for your body, but this is one vegetable that I really don't eat enough of. I would like to try them roasted with some goat cheese sometime, and I find that beets are very good for your blood pressure also. These beets improve your stamina because of the nitrates in them and beets are great for your liver- they say an amino acid called betaine can help with the accumulation of fat in the liver, and besides they have a lot of fiber in them also.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't remember eating beets in my adult years. Maybe because it is expensive and we don't know how to prepare it. But I agree that it is good for the body because root crops are generally beneficial to athletes. Aside from taro and sweet potato, we also have Yakon which is a root crop that tastes like turnips. It is cruncy and sweet. Back to beets, maybe I have been eating that when we order vegetable salad in the restaurant but I am not aware of it.

MindlessWork

MindlessWork

I love beets and I prefer them cut, and sometimes put into salads.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff